Help with CT's please

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Re: Help with CT's please

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:02 pm

If it really is as good as it sounds Narelle, it is a bargain.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 am

Hi I would be a bit concerned with some of the claims made by the above linked maker.

The trailer axle is made of 50 x 50 x 5mm RHS. This is much lighter than a solid axle, and less likely to bow, buckle, and break. To the best of my knowledge illegal in many states.

# The tent uses spring loaded push button extendable poles, which makes it even quicker and easier to erect. Pain in the butt to use and next to useless on sloping sites.

The colour combinations are designed carefully by using darker colours on the roof to block radiation from the sun which contributes to the high temperatures in summer. During winter, the sun's rays cast mainly on the walls of the tent. The lighter wall fabric allows more radiation to penetrate so that the tent and annex is warmer than those with darker wall fabric. (For a more detailed description (and illustration) of how this works see the Temperature Control section). So our tents not only look great, but provide superior performance also!!!

Bit of over selling I think. Last time I checked darker colours absorb more heat radiation than lighter colours, so the roof will be slightly hotter if darker and from memory the sun still goes up and over in winter.

When checking second hand campers ask the seller to put the tent up with you there and let you hose it conciderably to check its water proof. Be wary of cheap trailers, look to see if the trailer has a chassis or if it is just angles welded together, also try to find one where the draw bar is welded back to the spring hangers for stretgh.

We have a pull out stand alone kitchen and my wife loves it, no more bending over to cook or do the washing up.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby doakley » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 am

One other thing to check is the towing capacity of your vehicle and the weight of the CT. Some CTs are VERY heavy and will require electric brakes fitted if you do not have a larger sized vehicle.

We were very surprised at the recommended max towing for some cars (eg My parents Camry is only about 500kgs). We purchased a (not 4wd) CT with oztrail 12 on top and it only weighs around 360kgs but when we loaded it up it ended up being 620kgs. My car can only tow up to 600kgs unbraked and 1000kgs braked. So we paid the extra to have breaks fitted to the trailer and the controller fitted to my car. Great for piece of mind!

If you are unsure, check your vehicle's manual or there are some sites online that list all the cars and their towing limits (braked and unbraked). I am positive there are many people towing trailers and CTs that are far too heavy for their cars' recommended maximums.
doakley
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Any CT 750 kgs & over Tare will require additional braking, not to say that you cannot put them on less.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Narelle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks for the reminders about the towing capacity as well as further review of the linked site.

We currently have a small V6 4WD and I think from memory towing capacity is 1500kg and we have an electric brake controller already fitted. So hopefully we are OK in that regard.

Hoping to go and see the previously mentioned 2nd hand one on Thursday.
Narelle

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 pm

You are doing well Narelle....look forward to hearing the outcome.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Its not a huge expense to put brakes on them around $500 $600, just figure it in.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Narelle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Well a very disappointing CT that turned out to be. Very very very average. No way worth the 4.5K they were asking IMO. Tiny, amateurish. Oh well, we'll keep looking!
Narelle

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Patience Narelle & worth waiting for, believe me.

Kind of a bit like kissing a lot of toads before you get the prince.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Camper Trailers