PVC Pipe Pole Carriers

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

PVC Pipe Pole Carriers

Postby Wrecksie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi
I'm looking to create a bit more space in our trailer before our next camping trip and was considering adding PVC pole carriers externally on the trailer. My wife is not too fussed on these ever since we witnessed a camper a couple of years ago losing poles all along the Bruce Highway from a broken PVC carrier.

has anyone got any tips on these ie best diameter size of the pipe to use, screw ends on both ends or fixed on one and screw on the other, grade of pipe to use, how to fix to the trailer, best place to buy the bits in Brissie and especially how not to lose them along the highway??

Anything would be appreciated

thanks

Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Re: PVC Pipe Pole Carriers

Postby Malcur » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi, Wrecksie, I have put a pole carrier on my CT. Very happy with it. I bought 6" pipe from Bunnings. Put removable ends on both ends of the pipe, but find I tend to use one end only. I cut pieces of ply and glued to each of the ends to lesson the risk of the pipe ends breaking from poles htting it. Also recommend laying the pipe from side to side across the trailer if possible. This way there should not be too much banging of poles on the ends when you have to stop and accelerate suddenly.

Mal :grin: :grin:
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Wrecksie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:40 pm

thanks for that -- what have you got there on the ends - looks like a split pin or something like that?? Is there a way you can put a lock of some description on them too?

Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Postby Malcur » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 pm

I drilled a hole through the pipe ends and used an 8" gal bolt. Drilled a hole in the end of the bolt and used a clip to hold it. I could put a padlock in the hole in the bolt if required (haven't need it so far).

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Wrecksie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:22 pm

great thanks for that

Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks for asking this question Wrecksie - as I want to do the same thing and was a little unsure of exactly how to go about it, so I'd kept it in the too hard basket until now.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:52 am

I have some pics of the pole carrier on my old soft floor CT but I will have to hunt for them. Will post when I find them.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

gypsylady wrote:I have some pics of the pole carrier on my old soft floor CT but I will have to hunt for them. Will post when I find them.

That would be helpful - thanks GL.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 am

Ah perfectly timed question. This is on my mind, too. After adding a big tarp to my collection the numbr of poles I now have is crazy.
If you put the pvc pipe across the front, do you find it's long enough to carry your long poles? Or do you still leave them in your ct?
I thought of putting it down the side but you raise an interesting point about braking etc.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 pm

When I made mine, I thought I'd gone over the top having three tubes, but each is full of poles and still room.
Might pay to make rubber pads to fit into the inside of the endcaps, I had one pole puch a hole through one of the endcaps ::()

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Wrecksie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Steve
what size pipes did you use and how many poles would you get in each one? I'm thinking i need at least 2 pipes. Do you have screw ends on both ends? Just concerned that if you have any shorter poles and only have a screw end on one end that it could become a pain to try and get them out?

thanks
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Postby mr_grumble » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Wrecksie wrote:Steve
what size pipes did you use and how many poles would you get in each one?

I used plain 90mm stormwater pipe, is cheap and the fittings are also cheap, however I originally looked at 100mm but the prices went up considerably on the fittings (I guess because it isn't used as much as 90mm).

Depends on the style of the poles. The locking knob on my poles are quite large and I tend to find that these will dictate just how many poles you'll fit comfortably into the pipe(s). Generally usually 6 poles will comfortably fit in, yoy don't want to cram too many in as they may not all want to go in the same way the next time :shock:

Wrecksie wrote:Do you have screw ends on both ends? Just concerned that if you have any shorter poles and only have a screw end on one end that it could become a pain to try and get them out?

Screw cap on one end and a blanking cap on the other with 1 inch high density foam pads on the inside to 'suspend' the poles inside and stop them smashing theur way through the end caps.
When you fit the pipe adaptors on, don't just rely on the PVC glue to hold them on, if things get a little rough, the poles, should they move in transit can knock the pipe fittings off and goodby to the poles :--? I glued and then put 4 pop rivits through the walls of the tubes to guarantee the pipe fittings don't come off (don't forget to seal the little hole in the middle of the rivit to stop water entering)

As for shorter poles, I tend to find that because of the locking knob, if I drag one pole out, they all come out, never had any problem not reaching a pole.
Mounting will vary depending on the location etc, but I found this method of 'clamping' to be the best for me. This way I can remove the tubes if necessary

Hope this helps,

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Wrecksie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:28 pm

awesome thanks for the photos and info - much appreciated
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 am

Have you painted the pipes Steve?
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Yes.
Galmet Hammer Finish as with the rest of the CT.
Verfy forgiving paint that stands up well to chips and abrasion.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Next

Return to Gear Guide