Air beds?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Air beds?

Postby Jo&Kev » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:11 am

We cheat and use both - a queen air mattress with the self-inflating mats on top. The air mattress keeps us up off the ground and the self-inflating mats keeps us nice and warm.

The previous air mattress leaked from about day 2. Interestingly, we have had the current mattress (which came from Go-Lo or somewhere similar) for a couple of years and it has never been a problem.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby JohnL » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:45 am

So what is the difference as far as comfort goes between a blow up matress and a self inflating? We are off camping this weekend to Sth West Rocks and the thing that I dislike the most is the sleeping. We have a double blow which is OK but it does deflate somewhat over night.

We take a trailer camping so space is not so much of an issue. Was even thinking about whacking the spare double matress in the trailer...
Are you a Top Bloke? Do the quiz - www.topblokeday.com
JohnL

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:51 am

Well there is your answer John...the self inflating mattress does not deflate over night.

You also don't get the same movement with a self inflater when you partner rolls over in the night & they are definitely better insulation if you camp in the cooler months.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Tina » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:12 pm

We use self inflatables and the kids use a swag or a roll up mattress. When we are towing the tinny to go fishing on the Murray River we put in a decent foam mattress, which fits in the tinny of top of the other gear. By far the most comfortable - we have tried various other mattresses like the air beds, thin mattresses both not too good.
Preparing for a Travel Adventure in Australia?
Need some help planning your trip?
Would you like some Camping Tips and Info
http://www.yourguidetravelaustralia.com.au
Tina
Camping King

Postby Wrecksie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 am

What we have done the past few years is use 2 king single air mattresses with a fitted sheet holding together. That way i can have mine as inflated as i want and my wife who prefers a softer mattress, has her side of the bed the way she likes it. We also don't disturb each other as much if we need to go for a wee walk during the night as we would if we had a double/queen air mattress.

The kids used to use camp stretchers when they were little but have used single air mattresses the past couple of years now too.

Anyway has worked well for us. We have used Intex brand air mattresses which i think we bought from Kmart and they have lasted for years and have had plenty of use between camping trips and kids friends sleeping over and they are not that expensive either.

Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to Gear Guide