Preparing for my first camping trip

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Preparing for my first camping trip

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:59 am

GreekMuscle1 wrote:Has anyone had any experience living off the land for any period of time?

This sounds more life a lifstyle choice rather than a camping holiday.

There are some old posts way back on this forum where someone else had the very same idea.....you might want to go back and have a look at them GM1.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GreekMuscle1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:24 am

gypsylady wrote:
GreekMuscle1 wrote: and if i need to cook I can always make a campfire.

ONLY if there are no fire bans will you be able to rely on this option.

correct lol
GreekMuscle1

Postby GreekMuscle1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:25 am

gypsylady wrote:
GreekMuscle1 wrote:Has anyone had any experience living off the land for any period of time?

This sounds more life a lifstyle choice rather than a camping holiday.

There are some old posts way back on this forum where someone else had the very same idea.....you might want to go back and have a look at them GM1.

haha nah I just want to experience living off the land for a week or so, I dont think living like that would be sustainable.
is there anyway to find that thread without searching through all the posts?
GreekMuscle1

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 am

There is a search function at the top right of the page.

Did you have any idea of how you might 'hunt' for food....this is Australia....not the wilds of Africa

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GreekMuscle1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:30 am

gypsylady wrote:There is a search function at the top right of the page.

thanks, will see if I can find it
GreekMuscle1

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:36 am

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GreekMuscle1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:39 am

thanks for finding it :)

As for the hunting, I will learn about making traps etc., I am not planning on "living off the land" for some time yet, I want to get lots more camping experience first
GreekMuscle1

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:21 am

GreekMuscle1 wrote:As for the hunting, I will learn about making traps etc.,

Not too sure about this one....you will still have to kill your prey in order to eat it and there are laws about that.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 am

Unless your Indigenous, you will have trouble hunting, and Trapping is a no no .
Of course you have fish, rabbits and grubs.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Here is one thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2691&hilit=camping+for+a+long+duration

Gypsy - I assumed that was a troll post. I started reading it, but it was too much hard work!

GM1 - Rather than 'living off the land' why don't you find a property where you can camp and go hunting/shooting ? Ultimately it sounds more like what you want to do than becoming the Bush Tucker Man.

Nice to know that if it doesn't work out you can go the farm house and get help.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Pauly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I suggest you first up try surviving a night in a tent then go from there. I have been camping since I was in nappies, 40+ years. I have pretty fair survival skills, can light a fire without matches, have no problems catching and killing animals, have a good knowledge of first aid but im not sure on doing the whole survival thing, especially if nature turns nasty on you. Over Christmas my family and I were in the Chichester forrest, rained for 10 or 11 days and nights pretty much non stop, I was one of the few of the campers around us that who could maintain a fire, wood was wet, ground was wet and rain put out the coals. Animals and birds were scarce because of the weather, water in the creek was in flood and the only animals I seen was 1 bush turkey, easily caught because it was near tame and a 7' long diamond Python. I did catch the python to show the kids took some pictures and released it, eatable yes but thats 1 days meals only, turkey would be 2 but a wild, wild turkey would be harder to catch.

If it is just yourself buy a swag, buy some of that space food stuff camping stores sell, a small portable stove a flint then go away for a weekend to one of the many state run forrests but dont go to the set camping grounds, trek in about an hour, see how it goes.

Thinking of the Bush Tucker man, he would be a good choice of research.

Ps Saftey gear, UHF radio, an epirb maybe and first aid kit.

PPS canned food is very heavy to cart about.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GreekMuscle1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 pm

hi all,

im going to do a lot of reading and go on a lot of camping trips in parks just so I can learn what its all about and stuff, im not going to rush into my plan of living off the land.

And im going to be realistic, I know I wont be able to catch something and eat it everyday so I will have lots of provisions with me just in case
GreekMuscle1

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Jo&Kev wrote:
Gypsy - I assumed that was a troll post. I started reading it, but it was too much hard work!

Kev

That was the very reason I posted it Kev....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Young Camping Family » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Do a google search for camping checklists - should help figure out what you need :)
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby slug » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

Pauly wrote:I have been camping since I was in nappies, 40+ years. I have pretty fair survival skills, can light a fire without matches, have no problems catching and killing animals, have a good knowledge of first aid but im not sure on doing the whole survival thing, especially if nature turns nasty on you. Over Christmas my family and I were in the Chichester forrest, rained for 10 or 11 days and nights pretty much non stop, I was one of the few of the campers around us that who could maintain a fire, wood was wet, ground was wet and rain put out the coals.

A little bit of a hijack but slightly on topic, Pauly, id like to think of myself as similar to yourself, albeit a bit younger ;) Perhaps you could start a thread on some techniques? I'd persoanlly like to hear about keeping the fire alive when wet, and perhaps anything else you see relevent. It might serve as a resource for others searching the forums for info. Just a thought.

Cheers
slug
Captain Camping

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations