Looking for a decent beach shelter

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Looking for a decent beach shelter

Postby cpb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:25 am

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Thought I'd give it a go to see if anyone has any useful pointers when it comes to tracking down a decent beach shelter.

I chanced upon something called a Sun Shack about 10 years ago and it is just about ready for replacement.

Reasons I like the Sun Shack are:

1. it uses the quick setup/pulldown system (similar to something called the Grand Trunk Cielo)
2. it has all round views (3 open sides; one side has flaps that can be tied back) so we can keep an eye on the kids no matter where they go
3. its a good size - 2 adults and 3 kids can squeeze in

The only drawbacks are:
1. could do with the flaps on a couple of sides
2. not stable in a moderate wind (thought sandbags would have helped but I might try a guy rope this year)

I've been looking for a larger version of what we currently have without any succcess. Does anyone have any advice or pointers? I've seen a few possibles on US web sites but nothing based in Oz.

Cheers
Chris
cpb

Re: Looking for a decent beach shelter

Postby Young Camping Family » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:33 pm

I bought a Roman Quickee shelter recently from Harris Scarfe that I have only put up once in the lounge room.
It is about 2m long by 1.5 deep and could sit 4-5 inside (2 adults + kids). From memory I think it has back and sides built in (although the sides may be mesh?) - but I wanted sides for more sun protection during the day.
It was very easy to set up and pack away (although like tents they are never as small once they have been opened up!) with no poles to thread through - they all release at the joins and concertina up and stay inside the 'tent'. It folds up a bit like I imagine the square gazebo shelters do.
I think it does have pockets for sand, but I think you could probably use sand pegs too.
I am yet to test it out at the beach - will do that in a couple of weeks :)
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby cpb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Been doing a bit of research since my post.

OzTrail used to make a family dome (MPB-BDF-07). I found a place in Dee Why selling them about 18 months ago and thought I'd wait till I was out that way. Now OzTrail have stopped making them and all the places I've enquired at so far don't have any left. Reckon I'll have to get the needle and thread out again this summer ....

Young Camping Family wrote:I bought a Roman Quickee shelter recently from Harris Scarfe that I have only put up once in the lounge room.
It is about 2m long by 1.5 deep and could sit 4-5 inside (2 adults + kids). From memory I think it has back and sides built in (although the sides may be mesh?) - but I wanted sides for more sun protection during the day.
It was very easy to set up and pack away (although like tents they are never as small once they have been opened up!) with no poles to thread through - they all release at the joins and concertina up and stay inside the 'tent'. It folds up a bit like I imagine the square gazebo shelters do.
I think it does have pockets for sand, but I think you could probably use sand pegs too.
I am yet to test it out at the beach - will do that in a couple of weeks :)
cpb

Postby markcrook » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:21 pm

I found these oz-trail shelters on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Beach-Tent-OZTRA ... 35a5f715c3
two shock corded poles but look pretty simple to put up, not a bad price either.
Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby cpb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Got one of these today. Will set it up at home later to get some idea of how well we fit.

markcrook wrote:I found these oz-trail shelters on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Beach-Tent-OZTRA ... 35a5f715c3
two shock corded poles but look pretty simple to put up, not a bad price either.
Mark
cpb

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Post some pics too cpb.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide