Flanagans Reserve??

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Flanagans Reserve??

Postby Colz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi we are going on our first camping trip on Monday with some experencied camping friends.. we are going to Flanagans Reserve in south Brissy.

Can anyone tell me what it is like, i have only seen pics? Also i have heard there is another close by.. starting with B..Brigga..something..

any advice on these places would be great.. Thanks heaps!

ETA: i should add there will be 4 adults and 6 kids!!!!
Colz

Re: Flanagans Reserve??

Postby Ricklanga » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 pm

That would be Bigriggen Park. I can't comment on Bigriggen or Flanagan Reserve as I have been to neither. Biggriggen is not pet friendly but I believe Flanagans is. Another campground in the area is Andrew Drynan Park (viewtopic.php?f=110&t=3224&p=24166#p24166) I have stayed there more than once and loved it. You need your own shower & drinking water here & there is no electricity. I do believe they hire shower tents & solar showers if required.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Colz...best to have a look in the Park & Recreation Area Reviews....heaps of info there on a number of places.

This is one: viewtopic.php?f=110&t=1308
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Colz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks gypsy i saw that but being it was a 2007 thread i didnt take to much notice as alot has changed since then i believe..
Colz

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:30 pm

The last post was January 2010....so it went over a number of years.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snake_dr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:01 pm

we went a few years and loved it, we camped down the bottom close to the water though so it was a little bit of a hike to the toilets/showers but other than that it was great. nothing really to know.

we did go in an offpeak time though and there were only 3 groups there so cant comment on a busy weekend but yer very nice little water hole down the bottom.

im looking to see if i have some photo's on photobucket and will post them up if i do.

there is a really nice drive along some nice busy tracks out that way, really nice, ill try and find the name of that too, its a few hours of drive that is awesome
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby snake_dr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:02 pm

found my pics, here is the album if you wanna browse through, we went for a few drives by the looks of it, cant remember any of the names of the places we went so take a map, one of the drives went up a mountain range too if i remember rightly

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/bi ... 20Reserve/
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby snake_dr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm

not sure if you have done the lions road run before but thats really nice, cant remember how far that is away, just be careful if you run into andrew drynan park you might move campsites ;-)

(andrew drynan doesnt have full facilities)
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby snake_dr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm

sorry to spam, its the condamine river drive you "need" to do if your into that kind of thing, few pics of it there actually

link for info --> http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au/th ... /index.cfm

need a 4wd, you cross 14 rivers ;-)
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 pm

snake_dr wrote:not sure if you have done the lions road run before but thats really nice, cant remember how far that is away, just be careful if you run into andrew drynan park you might move campsites ;-)

(andrew drynan doesnt have full facilities)

There is info on this forum about AD Park also and they do have flush toilets but no showers and there is also swimming in the creek across the road. There is also non potable water available form a tap at the back of the toilets and the rangers name is Barry.

Snakey is right....it is a great campground, one of my favourites.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snake_dr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 pm

gypsylady wrote:Snakey is right....it is a great campground, one of my favourites.

Same! Definitely top 3, maybe even #1 but i dont think i could pick a #1
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:23 pm

I am the same Snakey.....AD Park, Island Reach at Imbil, Kilkivan Bush Camping & The Gorge Wilderness Camp at Aratula and not necessarily in any particular order.

They are all GREAT camping spots IMO.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mojo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi all,

Haven't posted here in a while, but just found this topic and thought I could add some usefull comments. We've stayed at Flanagan's a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The big plus for us is the creek (I think it might actually be the upper Logan River???) - it's beautifull, with a rapids section that you can float down on a tyre tube or something similar, which then runs into a nice deep, wide pool. A word of warning, if you take something to float down the rapids on, make sure it's cheap/disposable, as there's a very good chance that at some point it will be punctured by the rocks.

When we were at Flanagan's (Jan and March 08), it was quite dry and the grass was pretty sparce, so there was a bit of dirt and dust around. It was also very busy when we went on Australia Day weekend, although this is the case at most camping sites on long weekends - it was alot quieter the second time we went. These would be our only complaints about Flanagan's. They have showers and toilet's, and a small kiosk. Fire wood can be bought, I think it's around $10 for a wheel barrow load.

We haven't stayed at Bigriggen, but as it's just up the road from Flanagan's we went and had a drive around the site. From the brief look we had, the grounds look nicer than Flanagan's - more grass, less dirt/dust! There is a water hole there, but it didn't look anywhere near as appealing as the creek at Flanagan's, although it might be OK after alot of rain.

Personaly, I'd be happy to go back to Flanagan's - there's been a fair bit of rain recently so hopefully there's a bit more grass. But if you really hate the dirt/dust, it might even be worth staying at Bigriggen for the nicer camp grounds, and just going for a drive up to Flanagan's if you feel like a swim.

I have some pics of Flanagan's, I'll see if I can post them up over the weekend.

EDIT - search for Flanagans Reserve on Youtube and you'll find some footage of the creek.
Cheers

Sean
mojo
Boy Scout

Postby freerocketman1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:58 pm

just a update on bigriggen camp ground you need to book online now before camping this is the link to their web site.

http://www.bigriggen.com.au/FAQ.htm
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby mojo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Some pics of Flanagan's :grin:

Our campsite:

The creek/rapids:

The water hole:

If you into bushwalking, Mt Barney is close:

Cheers

Sean