Preparing for my first camping trip

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: Preparing for my first camping trip

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:44 pm

That's a great idea slug.....are you up for it Pauly??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 pm

There's plenty around with more knowledge than me, and we all do things differently.

Keeping a fire in the rain isnt as hard as it sounds, I always try taking or finding a piece of roofing iron, even a metal garbage bin lid works. Try keeping your wood dry and coals covered and your mostly there. I always try to tarp my wood or put it into hollow logs, we camp in the forest a bit and had a stash of wood in the forest not far from camp, just enough for a few hours, our first nights wood I call it. All the wood we gathered was wet so luckily I could split some wood to get to dry stuff then just keep adding and drying it. Heres a picture I took of me drying wood over xmas new year, once dry I put it under the tarp and life was easier, we ended up having enough dry wood to offer our neighbours some dry stuff to get started and they got their wood dry and under cover too.
My wife found it amusing, the guys in the next camp were there as long as us so we obviously made friends and had the occasional drink, new years eave it was decided their camp was for a few drinks as they had little kids, most people when going to somebodies place take a plate or a bottle of wine, nope I took a log.

The tin this time was an old roadworks sign I found in the scrub and thats whats on top of the stack to hold other wood, also works really well if the wind gets up you put it onto your fire acting as a wind guard to help stop sparks and slow wood burn down, I also used it to shelter my camp oven 1 night.

WetWood.jpg

Heres a picture of the little python I caught too 8) , released totally unharmed, the boys not mine so I blurred his face.

Neil12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Smart move Pauly protecting the identity of the young fella.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:49 pm

The young fellas the son of a mate but I didnt have his permision so not my place to post his picture.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Not many people would have been that considerate.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby capella_ben » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Study the teachings of the great Bear Grylls (my current hero) from Man V Wild. If you do it right you won't even need a tent.
:***

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Postby Lost Man » Wed May 05, 2010 5:52 pm

GreekMuscle1 wrote:im planning on starting at a caravan/camping park but eventually I want to camp out in the wild, living off the land for maybe a week...

do you guys think the best plan is to go out on a camping trip in a park and just work out how everything is done by experiencing it? Or should i read up about what I need now before I go?

thanks all

You dont have to be an Einstein to go camping. All you need is a tent, some warm clothes and bedding. Make sure you always take lots of water and food and maybe some firewood and bug spray.

Living of the land? If you camp near a beach or lake though you can always catch fish or as cappela said go bar Grills Style. You might have to much spiders and grubs though :lol:
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed May 05, 2010 6:27 pm

here is a site that a friend gave me as it had heaps of info on vege gardens, lots of info on here about being self sufficient..you may find some thing interesting.

http://aussieslivingsimply.com.au/news.php
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby gmhemi » Thu May 06, 2010 8:47 am

Expect things to go wrong,like setting up your tent in a slight gully without realising it in beautiful weather and it desides to rain with a torrential downpour so you would need to reroute the water around the tent using kitchen utensils. Or just set up your lamb in the camp oven in the fire and just sit down to wait for hours to cook then it decides to bucket down with rain and put out the fire. (what do you do?)
Improvising is some of the fun at camping and creates great stories to tell afterwards.
gmhemi
Camping King

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations