Can't I just cut accross? & Cape or Centre?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Which way should I go?

Go North (Cape York)
100%
Go West (Alice Springs/Ayers Rock etc)
No votes

Total votes : 4

Can't I just cut accross? & Cape or Centre?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:48 pm

:?:

Can I just cut through Birdsville to Alice springs? I don't really trust whereis to be completely accurate so is there a road that goes through?

I'm thinking of doing a big... BIG trip, and can't really decide between cape york, or the centre :? The Centre is winning at the moment cause there's about 600 less k's in it and even LESS if I can indeed cut straight through instead of going through SA.

I would love to go to Cape york, I can imagine there'd be alot of 4x4ing to do there, but I can also see myself breaking more things on the Rocky if I go 4x4ing too much whilst there... and i'm scared of the salties :shock:

Alice springs and surrounds, well, I've been to central NSW and loved it, can only imaging central Oz being better, have seen pics of Palm Springs and it looks beutiful, and would love to take my own happy snaps of Ullaroo.... and the Fresh water crocs don't scare me as much :mrgreen:

At any rate there's a good chance i'm dreaming and the furthest I'll ever drive is Newcastle but if I keep talking myself into it there's a better chance of it happening :mrgreen:
So help me decide!!
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:07 am

You could go through the Plenty Hwy from QLD (Boulia) to Alice Springs. The Queensland side to the QLD/NT Border is crap but once on the NT side it's fairly tame although now-a-days the who lot is probably tame. The plenty HWY drops you about 50k's north of ALice on the Stuart Hwy. You still get the dog leg (just reversed) but it would take you longer as your speed would be cut down (not sure by how much as the conditions of the roaf are proabbly different now-a-days).

Why not do a circle route? Go up to QLD (Winton, Boulia then Plenty Hwy to Alice Sprins) and then follow the route back to NSW that you have plotted? ... Going through the way you suggested (via Peoppel Corner) is ok but you'd want to ave someone with you as it is pretty isolated.

Heading north you could go to Bourketown and then cut across to Borolloola in the NT BUT it is now coming onto the rainy season ... that's more of a worry than the crocs beleive me.

Also, you'll need to carry quite a few jerry cans for any of thr trips that ave been suggested and the range on your car will be drastically reduced too as you will be in 3rd/ 4th gear doing any of these tracks.

My brain is hurting at the moment so I might add some more later.

Good luck!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby bockstar » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:16 pm

Hey there.

Suspect there is a route through Cameron Corner and eventually Alice Springs.

A good friend of mine travelled to Innamicka via Bourke, Tiboburra, Cameron Corner then up the Strezlecki Track earlier this year. The only time he engaged low range was the mandatory run up Big Red at the start of The Simpson.

Having said that, every car in the convoy (8 in total and most towing CTs) had issues during the course of the trip. Ranging from hitting an emu to broken axles and alike. Many due to corrugations dubious road surfaces.

Check out exploroz. For more route details;

http://www.exploroz.com/Splash.asp

I would suspect that Whereis will trace a route that is primarily sealed surfaces, where possible.

Good luck with everything.

Cheers,
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:48 pm

We visited the red centre in 2001 and it was the most fantastic place imaginable, I loved every bit of it. We cheated though, we flew and hired a 4x4, time was the problem for us. I so want to go back!!!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:28 pm

Go north Ozzy, with all the water restrictions down where you come from at least you will be able to see some green up north! and if you get stuck call me I will come and help you out!

Make sure you have heaps of cash spare!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Nenie23 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Hey Ozzy,

I have done the exact same route as you have there. It was unreal. What month do you plan to travel, how far up and how long are you going to stay. We went for 5 weeks and left Central Coast, Nyngan, Broken Hill, Port Augusta, Coober Pedy, Ayres Rock, Kings Canyon, Alice, Tennant Creek, Mount Isa, Longreach, Charleville, Roma, Brisbane, then down the coast home.

Let me know if you want any info on that part of the trip.
Nenie
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:12 pm

Here's the route I was thinking about ... just make sure you keep heading south from Alice or you'll end up in W.A. ... hope it helps ...

http://www.outback-hwy.org.au/

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Go North

Postby Kelstar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Go north... Did the trip from brissie in August this year... was me by myself as support driver with another 4WD for 5 bikes... Did not see one croc!!!!!! and we even camped near plenty of rivers plus had to walk them to get the cars and bikes through... make sure ur going in the dry season tho cause it got deep even when we were up there and we had to bypass some parts... the corregation is horrible sometimes and i sometimes just needed to stop just to give my arms a break from the vibration but all in all fantastic trip only next time im not gunna be the only girl!!!
---Kel---
Enjoy what you have while you have it... it can be taken away in seconds!
Kelstar

Return to Camping Tips and Locations