Murphys Creek Escape

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with pets.

Murphys Creek Escape

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Murphys Creek has re opened under new management and is pet friendly. At this point I have not been there so can't give first hand info but will do a recce in the not too distant future & post my comments.

Email: admin@murphyscreekescape.com.au

Web: http://www.murphyscreekescape.com.au/

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Murphys Creek Escape

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:44 pm

That looks interesting GL - might give it a try for Australia Day weekend if we can get a creek front site.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:03 pm

I am interested to hear what you think of it Amanda.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Well, from my first contact with them I have to say I'm impressed. I sent an email to ask if they had creek front sites available, and no les than ten minutes later a very nice gent named Peter phoned me to say that they did, and did I require any further help/info at all. He said that the Australia Day weekend is actually their official opening and they will be having various activities happening on the Sunday to celebrate. It sounds great, so I've booked us in! I'll post a note about it in the Group Activities thread in case there's anyone out there who might like to join us.

Thanks for the info GL.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Peter is the new owner, isn't he Amanda??

I have other committments for that weekend otherwise I too would consider it as well. Might look at it for the Anzac weekend though.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 pm

peter sounds like a lovely guy.. just spoke with him on the phone .. im keen for a trip there .. might look at easter or anzac weekend
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby dea » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:53 pm

i found they are just a little dearer to what we are used to pay etc .. but we are still going to go there over easter break.. looks like a great spot
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

You can always go off season dea....it is cheaper then.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:46 am

I have just looked at their rates and find they want full payment for a weekend up front (2 days) & if camping 3 days or more then a $50 deposit and their cancellation policy is not pretty.

This coupled with the higher rates for school holidays and long weekends is a bit demanding I think especially when there are so many others about that have no deposit requirement and the rates remain the same all year round.

Families will be hit the most as they normally camp only during the school holidays and that is when their camping fees goes up.

A week during school holiday time with 2 children under 15 with power will cost you over $300!!!! Without power will still be over $200 per week and this is not a waterfront site...that costs more. Over 15s are charged at $8 per day

Just as an example......I camped over Xmas at Kilkivan Bush Camping with power for $100 per week (no kids) and that is the standard rate all year round......no deposit required.

Think I might just turn up at MCE one off peak weekend (just take my chances) that way I do not have to pay any monies up front (hate using my CC over the phone & bank deposits are not convenient) and the camping fees will be a little more reasonable.

There is also a fee for day visitors and picnicers are not allowed to BYO food they have to order and purchase a food basket from reception.....wonder how much they will charge me to have alook at the place if I did a recce!!

Think I have had a change of heart.....these 'terms' are definitely not to my liking and I will be interested to see how they (MCE) fare over time.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 am

Paying a deposit has never bothered me, and I've noticed more and more places are requiring them. I completely understand their need to, as it must be very frustrating to take bookings for a busy weekend, and then have to put up with "no shows".

Their rates are a bit high, but I wouldn't be going there for any longer than a weekend in any case, so once again it doesn't really bother me. We will be there for 3 nights this weekend and it is costing us $84. Included in that this weekend are a lot of Australia Day activities so for camping with entertainment thrown in, I'm pretty happy.

I'll report back on Wednesday and let you all know what it's like.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:30 am

Of all the places I go camping Amanda I can only think of one where I was asked to pay a deposit and the deposit required was only $22, the cost of one night's camping. It was a CP and I was booked in for 5 nights. I am going to Bundaberg this weekend, to a CP that I booked back last September and still I was not asked for a deposit.

To ask you to pay in advance for a weekend IMO is a bit tuff, be it peak season or not. It is not like it is on the tourist strip.

I imagine that as this is their official opening weekend that everything will be spot on and there will be 'extras' that will make it seem more attractive.

All personal opinion Amanda....

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping with Pets