good camping spots half way between Sydney and Brisbane

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

good camping spots half way between Sydney and Brisbane

Postby Wrecksie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi

does anyone know of any good camping grounds or caravan parks half way between Sydney and Brisbane. We're trying to organise a holiday with friends who live in Sydney and with us in Brisbane we were looking for a midway point. We thought we had a decent spot at Port Macquarie which our Sydney friends have just come home from. Unfortunately it became a bit of a nightmare spot for them with people (non campers) going through theirs and others campsites most nights and stealing anything left out. Maybe we've been lucky but we have never had trouble like that ever camping and never had anything stolen from our site no matter what was left out. From what our friends have heard this was not unusual for that caravan park - wish they knew that before hand !

We'd be looking for something close to a beach this time, maybe with a bit of fishing nearby and a site with power (our friends prefer power for their CT whereby we are self sufficient with our tent and can manage with our without quite easily)

Anyway please let me know if something springs to mind and i will check it out

thanks

Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Re: good camping spots half way between Sydney and Brisbane

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm

You could check out Hat Head outside of Kempsey. A little further south is Laurieton and there are afew parks to choose from. The Beachfront is close to both beach and river.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Wrecksie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks will check that out. Have also been Googling and found Trial Bay and South West Rocks - theres a couple of possibilities. Would be keen to hear from anyone who has stayed around there too.

Rex
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Postby mojo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

Don't know of anywhere around the halfway point, but if your Sydney friends are willing to drive a few extra hours then Woody Head near Iluka is nice.
Cheers

Sean
mojo
Boy Scout

Postby Wrecksie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Know it well -- i actually spent the first 18 years of my life living in Iluka so have spent quite a bit of time hanging around there as a kid. Have really enjoyed taking my kids back to visit that area over the years as well.
Top choice
thanks
Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Wrecksie

There is a NP campsite at Trial Bay Gaol called Arakoon, where we stayed a year or two back. It is an expensive place as you have to pay a NP entry fee, then a campsite fee and then coins to use the showers. (Apparently it stops surfers washing their boards in the hot shower water!!)

We did a rush set up because we arrived late in the afternoon and wanted to do a tour of the gaol, which is money well spent. It's a fairly popular place so a call to the NPWS office to check if there are campsites available would be advisable I think. Only stayed there overnight on our way south from north, visiting the parents @ Maclean.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Wrecksie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:49 pm

funny you should mention this - we have just had a heap friends over for an Aust Day BBQ and one of my mates and his family have been going to Arakoon the past couple of years for Easter with friends of theirs from Canberra. Didn't realise this till today. Yes I will look into that one as well

thanks for the Tip

Wrecksie
Wrecksie
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations