Kids camp beds

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Kids camp beds

Postby Trugger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:55 pm

What do you use for your kids?

Im thinking about getting some camp stretches for the kids but i want them to be low to the ground. Does anybody have any beds to recommend?

I think some of the coleman ones are low enough. But maybe just a good quality foam from clarke rubber would be the go.

any help most welcome

Trug
Trugger
Boy Scout

Re: Kids camp beds

Postby Bradd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm

We recently bought a 4 legged stretcher for our almost 3 yo from BigW, only 4 or so inches off the ground,
comes apart into several peices and packs away in its own small bag cost $19.95
It is adult length, but theoretically you could only put 3quarters of it together ;)

Thinking of buying a couple more for if/when we go tent camping rather than take the Camper trailer.

Like this but $15 cheaper
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/product/ ... retcher/60
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Trugger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Thats what im after

im just thinking a good bit of foam may do the same job

i might check out Clarke rubber and compare

the foam could double up as a dog bed later or i would rather something that is suitable for them as they grow

Trug
Trugger
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:08 am

Hi
I think it will depend on what your kids wil sleep on. My 3yo sleeps on the floor at home and rolls around a bit so for him I take his little fold out sofa bed. I also bought a piece of foam for him about 2-3in thick but I never use it. By the time I roll it up it takes up as much space as his sofa and he'd rather sleep on the sofa.
I had envisaged getting some bunks one day but if he continues to sleep on the floor then Ill prob get him an inflatable mattress instead.

Happy shopping
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dea » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 pm

we use the bunks .. have 4 kids so 2 sets of bunks , work a treat just a pain in the butt to put together lol ..
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby capella_ben » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm

We just use single air matresses. They are a bit big though and the kids do roll off them some times. We did try a bigger camp bed like the one above, but this one had a sort of pillow built in. This was no good as it made the kids snore.

Might go to Big W and look for that strecher.

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Postby toucan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:23 pm

dea wrote:we use the bunks .. have 4 kids so 2 sets of bunks , work a treat just a pain in the butt to put together lol ..

I'm in the same boat as dea...We have 4 kids and use 2 sets of bunks, but we get them to put them together!!
But when the twins get their own tent they will seperate the bunks into 2 stretchers.
toucan
Camping King

Postby sassenach.girl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 pm

We've got self-inflating mattresses for our two girls, though Miss Nearly 3 rolls off hers so we ended up putting her clothing tub up against the bed and voila! No more rolling out! Maybe should invest in a stretcher for, and could put the self-inflating mattress on top of it.
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby ozoutdoors » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 pm

The 4 leg stretcher is the way to go.

Its such a compact unit and really light too. way more so than normal stretchers, and way less bulky than a self inflating matress.

I notice the Rays outdoors link says they are out of stock.
While i was getting poles and tarps, I saw them still available at Kangaroo Tent City.
They were the Roman brand so they are good quality.

The guy i spoke to said they were $30 bucks.
ozoutdoors
Boy Scout

Postby sassenach.girl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:19 am

ozoutdoors wrote:The 4 leg stretcher is the way to go .... way less bulky than a self inflating matress

We got the self-inflaters as thre was minimal work. Take out of bag, undo, and voila!
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 pm

We had one of the stretchers for our youngest but it was a pain :-bang to get the legs on and she kept rolling/tipping out of it so we got the girls both blow up mattress when we had the tent.

We then got them all their own swags which is much easier, bit bulkier but can fit two in the CT for overnighters/weekends when our eldest doesn't come and for longer trips they all fit in the bag we had made for the top of the CT.

The swags are great for sleepovers at home too!!! :+ But not a choice for everyone, especially if room is tight. But by the time we got sleeping bags, mattresses, inflator, etc it's not much more room really. They also will have them for the rest of their lives too. :lol:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jellycamp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:26 pm

I was thinking about getting bunks for my boys but they seem too short! The way my boys are growing their toes would hang over the end in a year or so. The inflatable mattresses seem to go down all the time and I can't ever get them just right! A constant source of consideration for me when camping! What is the perfect camp bed?

:shock:
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Self inflating mattresses are the way to go JC.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jellycamp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Yeah I agree but hubby thinks they are too hot. We have a constant "discussion" on what the best camping gear is. I want a CT he thinks a tent is fine, self inflating v's blow up, BBQ plate v's fry pan and so it goes on! lol :***
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby 4OFUS » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:46 pm

We started off with airbeds- but over various outings they deflated. Kids jumped on them etc.. Also, an issue with directly being on the ground is that when its cold, the bedding absorbs the cold, and you may need some other type of mat on the ground which takes some cold.
We now have individual stretcher beds we bought from Ananconda. They are comfy for the kids and they cant jump on them! It is handy as well as you can store things under them. They are relatively quick to set up and kids find them comfortable.
4OFUS
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Gear Guide