Camping on NSW Sth Coast - Feb/March

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping on NSW Sth Coast - Feb/March

Postby LoveACamp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi all,
I've been looking on your forum for most of the morning and it looks like you guys have some pretty good tips, so thought I'd ask your opinion on some places!
The fella and I are looking at heading up the NSW Sth Coast in late Feb/early March from Melbourne. We do this trip almost every year and spend most of our time between Eden (we've camped at Boydtown for years, and often spend most of our time there) and Ulladulla. We don't have a Van, but have a pretty good setup with tent, tarps, etc. We generally stay at Caravan Parks rather than go too hard-core (I tend to like my toilets most of the time), but are careful to choose ones with either large or undesignated sites. We've most often stayed at Beachport SA, Narooma, Eden, Burrill Lake NSW, and Ninety Mile Beach in VIC over the past few years, but I've also been known to "rough it" in places like Diamond Head and the Coorong. We'd like to try somewhere different for our Sth Coast trip this year, and are looking at places like Mystery Bay, Dalmeny or maybe something around Bermagui? We have to be on or close to the beach, not really keen on too many kids and/or pets, but otherwise pretty easy to please! The fella has his heart set on Mystery Bay....and has even promised to buy us a portable loo....
What are your thoughts??

KD
LoveACamp

Re: Camping on NSW Sth Coast - Feb/March

Postby fontmedia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:47 am

As long as its warm, you cant go wrong with the South Coast - so peaceful if you hit the right area :) We have a portable loo and I wouldnt be without it during the night!! We just have it in the other room in the tent throughout the night, not in a separate toilet tent.

If you head out a little further, Huskisson is absolutely gorgeous. We stayed at http://www.huskissonbeachtouristresort. ... ommodation and loved it. Not sure what the powered sites are like but the unpowered were great and there were hardly any kids around. Absolutely stunning white beach too!
fontmedia
Boy Scout

Postby LoveACamp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks for the reply!
We've actually looked at Huskisson and would love to go there but it's probably getting a bit far to be honest.
We've been up to Jervis Bay before and you're right - the white beaches are amazing!
We're thinking about Merry Beach now - looks ok from what I can tell, so we think we might risk it.
We don't need powered sites, and it looks like you can camp right on the beach.
Have heard a few bad reports about the management of the place, but it seems to just apply to the cabins....
Hmm....still researching the toilets, so we'll see.
Thanks again - let me know if anyone's been out to Merry Beach before?
LoveACamp

Postby Malcur » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 am

We stayed at Merry Beach last year. Had a beach-front site with our camper trailer. Very nice caravan park. Management were very friendly.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:23 am

I personally am a Mystery Bay addict. There are toilets, but they are compost toilets - and not the long-drop type. Only cold showers.

During school holidays there are mostly families with kids. And one of the great attractions of the place is that you can take your dog. If it's not school holidays, it doesn't get very busy though and you obviously don't get any people with school-aged kids there.

I'm going to go back for a weekend in March. With the kids and the dog!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby LoveACamp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Awesome - thanks guys!
We're staying at Narooma for a night on the way up, so we think we'll probably just go on a reccy and check them all out!
I'll let you know how we go...

Cheers
KD :armsup
LoveACamp

Return to Camping Tips and Locations