oztrail tents: where are they made?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

oztrail tents: where are they made?

Postby karen201 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:29 pm

hi everyone
Are these australian made, or are they imported from china?
thanks karen
karen201
Boy Scout

Re: oztrail tents: where are they made?

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:10 pm

karen201 wrote:Are these australian made, or are they imported from china?

They are made in China. Their website used to warble on about their being an Australian family company but says nothing about where the items are made. So I wrote to them and asked them straight out. At least they had the courtesy to reply and admit (with lots of justification) that they are made in China to their specs.

Any company which says something like "proudly designed in Australia" or "Australian owned company" or similar has something to hide. I read about Apple juice recently, the packet says "made from Australian and imported ingredients" - apparently the concentrate is imported and the water is Australian. Duh.

However much I detest the greed of Australian companies in getting their products made in low-cost-labour countries, most of what I have seen and used which is made to western specs is very well made.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby karen201 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:01 am

Hi thanks for that, i also couldn't find anything about where there made. But i got a bit suspicious when products were out of stock and it was going to be months before they would have it again.
thanks karen
karen201
Boy Scout

Postby spinyeel » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 am

The thing that annoys me is the misleading names given to Chinese made products,to make them sound Aussie. :roll: :roll: Oztrail,Oztent,Jackaroo,Stockman,Hi-Country,Billabong etc. etc.
spinyeel
Camping King

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Yes, except that Oztrail and probably some other are self-proclaimed Australian companies - some even trumpet "family company" are actually based in Australia so their brand-names are their own. Doesn't stop the greed though nor does it stop them exploiting low-paid workers with poor conditions in other countries. Sometimes the real Australian-made products are only available to the extremely rich which rules us out. But then sometimes there are Australian-made camping products available at the disposals stores rather than the franchises, which are cheaper and better made than their imported cousins. Shop around and ask questions, shame the buggers with what they are doing and praise the companies still making in Australia.

Elaine

PS: Oztent is made in Australia as far as I know, it is priced to match!
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby spinyeel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:57 am

Two of the most expensive tourer tents,Black Wolf 300 and Oztent are made in China. :( Doesn't stop people buying them though. :roll:
spinyeel
Camping King

Postby Pauly » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:56 am

You hear people talking this product and that being made in China like its automatically sub standard, yes they make lots of crap but the some of stuff they are making is as good as anywhere. In China you can get anything you want and to any quality, check this site http://www.alibaba.com/catalogs/0/produ ... cd=buyhome.
Japan was like China is now, when Japan was an up and comming manufacturer most of the stuff they were making was crap, now people display the fact its made in Japan as a sign of quality

The sad realistic fact is Australian manufacturing is too expensive and your average Australian wont or cant pay for Australian.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby spinyeel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:50 pm

I do not dispute the quality of some Chinese products. What I do object to is being ripped off on the purchase price. :booty I have two really nice second hand Aussie made tourer tents that will probably outlive me,and cost very little. If purchasing new,I would rather pay a little more and support our economy,than give slave labour a helping hand overseas. Just my humble opinion. :grin:
spinyeel
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide