Hi All... New to the site!

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi All... New to the site!

Postby Nurse_Nikki » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:33 am

Hi everyone,

What a great forum. I stumbled across you guys while looking for a suitable campsite for myself and my two kids to go camping. I have been camping and 4 wheel driving for a LONG time, but always camped with a 4 wheel drive. Foolishly, I sold the 4x4 last year during a busy time at work, with no time for camping. Now not only has work calmed down, but I miss camping.... a lot!

So, given the restrictions on how much gear we can pack into a Mazda 3, we are looking for a camp ground with a shower block, that also allows for fires. We live in Melbourne, about 25 minutes from the CBD. Happy to drive 3-4 hours if it's worth it.

Also, since it's now just me and the kids, I'm looking to invest in a tent that's big enough for the three of us, with room to spare (13 year old girls LOVE to overpack) that is also easy enough for one capable ( short ) woman to put up. Any tips, advice or camp talk in general is welcomed.

Nikki
Nurse_Nikki

Re: Hi All... New to the site!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 am

Hi Nikki and WELCOME to the forum. I am unable to assist you with your question....wrong end of the country for that but I am sure some of the other members will be along shortly to assist.

Meanwhile I suggest you have a look back through some of the older threads and you may well pick up some valuable info on the issues you mentioned.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:41 am

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/article/450/
http://www.glencromie.com.au/5528/Home/

I love this place, around an hour and a half from the CBD.
Gets very busy tho.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jodesta » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:00 pm

:hello: l am new to this as well - hi there Nurse_Nikki !!! :grin:

i am really enjoying this site and having a look all around. (do wish l still had a bigger car)
Having the same dilemma as you nikki, a have a Ford Focus - where will l put it all???

Great to be hear..

jodes xxxx

jodes, 3 kids & a dog !!!!
jodesta

Postby Titch » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:19 pm

Welcome Jodes, get a small trailer.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi Jodes and WELCOME....have a look back through some of the older threads and you will see there are a few members who camp with small cars.

It seems there is an art to it and they seem to manage quite well.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby him and I » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 am

:hello: Hi Nikki and Jodes, it's great to hear women campers and their kids are heading off alone and camping. You go girls!!!
Maori girl and her kiwi bloke
him and I
Camping King

Postby lew557 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Hey Nikki.
I can relate to your frustration, went from a pajero to a camry after a property settlement, that was 10 years ago, camping never stopped, just the choice of spots was reduced. Almost had a few issues, forgot the changeover and started driving on soft stuff. Back in a 4wd last 12 months , feels good again. Good luck in the search for the perfect Spots. -Lew
lew557

Postby Tina » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi Nikki,

Welcome you will find plenty of help here and plenty of suggestions for camping with a small vehicle - adding a small trailer might be worth a try.

Happy Camping
Cheers Tina
Preparing for a Travel Adventure in Australia?
Need some help planning your trip?
Would you like some Camping Tips and Info
http://www.yourguidetravelaustralia.com.au
Tina
Camping King

Postby Nurse_Nikki » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and the link to the camp site. I have just booked for Glen Cromie at the end of march. Will take lots of pics and let you know how we go on our first solo adventure !!

Nikki
Nurse_Nikki

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am

We went to Deniliquin after Xmas this year. It is on the Edwards river and is only 3 hours from Melbourne.

Although we stayed in the Big4 there in a CT the two camps either side of us were all tents, sites were amazing grass (so soft), we were right on the river and it was fabulous.

Mum & Dad were with us and then went about 30mins down the road to a place called Picnic Point and said it was really good too.

I know these are Parks and not bush camping but I'm sure there would be something around that area, the river had over 2m of water in it and was amazing. The park we stayed in was full of Melbourne people in search of water and a nice spot to camp.

Hope this helps. Need to get my photos sorted this week and put up a review.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Introductions: