Camping stoves

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camping stoves

Postby Lin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 pm

I have a compact Coleman 2-burner that works on propane or LPG gas bottles. I've used it quite a bit. But I am fed up with how difficult it is to control the knobs and not being able to get the flame down low enough to just have it simmer. Which means that I burn lots of my food, especially frozen stuff.

So I bought myself another one of those butane single burners, so I now have 2. I think they work so well. The auto-ignition never fails, the bottles are easy to replace and it gives you could control of the height of the flame.

But ideally I would like to get another 2-burner that will also work on re-fillable bottles and has built-in wind protection and will fit on a stove stand.

Anyone any tips on a good no too expensive 2-burner stove?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Camping stoves

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

The best and the only gas stove to have IMO is a low pressure one Lin. There are no flareups and you can regulate the flame with almost infinite control without the flame going out.

There are some old posts on them here on the forum if you go back through the old threads.

Coleman make one which looks similar to the standard 2 burner stove you see about. I changed over to the low pressure one a number of years ago and have never looked back.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jcd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Lin wrote:So I bought myself another one of those butane single burners, so I now have 2. I think they work so well. The auto-ignition never fails, the bottles are easy to replace and it gives you could control of the height of the flame.

The butane burners are great as long as the temperature is above about 10 C. Below this and the butane doesn't want to become a gas and burn, so they don't work so well.

Bye Jeff.
NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, Cooper Discovery ATR's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Aux. Fuel Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box, OzTent RV-2
jcd
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm

I just browsed the Coleman website, but I cannot find a mention of "low pressure" anywhere? If the specifications say it has a regulator, does that mean low pressure? I like the look of the Eventemp ones. Three burners would heat my bbq plate a lot better.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes low pressure stoves have a regulator the same as your BBQ at home which also makes them safer too I might add.

Have a look around your local camping stores and then when you know what you are looking for you will be able to source it at a better price. They are a bit dearer than the standard stoves but well worth the extra money IMO Lin.....

With Easter fast approaching the camping stores will being having their sales so that will be a good time to hunt a bargain.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Lin, I would get one that will attach to a regular gas bottle as well....not just the little cylinders. The cylinders work out to be quite expensive over time & then you also have to dispose of them as well.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby crocodile » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:20 pm

I have an Oztrail low pressure, two burner with grill. Great stove. The grill is great for toast.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Postby Lin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:19 am

I saw that Oztrail one online yesterday and it does look good. Not sure how often I would use the grill though. And I couldn't find out if it folds down flat?

My issue with my current camping stove is also that the knobs are so flimsy. If you try to turn it down to low, it kind of just springs back. And if you turn them too far, you turn it off. I would prefer to have proper knobs like on my stove at home. With defined 'steps'.

I'll definitely go browse the camping stores soon. There's some other bits and bops I need to get (don't you always?).
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:40 am

Lin wrote:
There's some other bits and bops I need to get (don't you always?).

It never seems to matter how much you have....there is always more you want rather than need.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cokebottle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:38 pm

I have a cheap Kmart (Gasmate, I think?) 2 burner with no regulator & never had any problems controlling the flame, we mostly cook everything from scratch, no pre packaged or tinned stuff, always have great meals ::)

Seafood pasta

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:55 am

I like to take some home-made frozen meals for our first days camping. So really need to be able to turn it down to a simmer or it will burn.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 am

Low pressure stoves are the go!
High pressure stoves are prone to blow outs and unforunately we live in a society where we are protect from everything - yet flame out detection on camp stoves isnt a requirement...
Low pressure stoves have far more control of the flame, they use less gas, make less noise, are safer. Unfortunately they are also slightly more expencive than a high pressure stove ($120ish vs $80ish). But once you go low pressure you'll never look back!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:42 pm

I decided on the Coleman 3-burner Eventemp stove. That'll suit my needs quite well, I think. I saw it online for $189, so I might go ask the local camping store if they can match that price.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Good idea Lin....Good Luck.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Maybe a touch off topic,
but the heat diffusers you can buy, can turn a troublesome gas cooker into a fantastic cook top.
Even heat means nice cooked meat :+
May be cheaper than buying new again.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Gear Guide