How do you find storage requirements with your CT?

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

How do you find storage requirements with your CT?

Postby Dettie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:08 am

Just wondering how everyone goes with storage when using a CT. I don't want to have the rear seats folded down on my 4WD anymore, just to fit everything in... a Camper Trailer should eliminate this, right?

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: How do you find storage requirements with your CT?

Postby sienna » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:21 am

I have been able to fit all of my camping stuff into the ct, all except my 120L bar fridge. It sits in the boot of my wagon. As long as you are a bit pedantic when packing you should fit in heaps of stuff. The only bits I wouldn't put in due to dust etc is clothing and soft bedding and of course, the nibblies.
If you are intending on putting up a big tarp over everything for longer stays, then I would definitely get some pole carriers put on the trailer. Poles take up too much space and can easily be carried in pvc piping attached to the outside of the trailer. If you look back to a previous post, this topic is covered including photos and diagrams of how to set it up.
I actually had spare space in my ct. But there's always something else that gets bought and my ct is slowly filling up. 8)

Happy camping
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Smileandhug » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:38 am

Yes create tent pole holders for ya poles, attach gas bottle/water bottles and 12V battery holder to external outside wall.
I use one of those cheap Supercheap large tool boxes that fits inside the CT and leave the lid on it. Idea is that you can load all ya pots n pans, lights , jugs etc into it. Then if you do a long stay somewhere u pull it out and its there in front of u and water proof for all items.
I use shade cloth for flooring, as its light n compact and also run a strip along the wall of my annex as to give me privacy when camping plus u be amazed how much water if stops when it rains. I only use heavy duty paper clips to hold it to the tent ropes. seems to work fine.
The rest of the internals of my CT has items in milk crates etc and is well organised.
Secret to camping is to have a good storage shelf sytem in the shed. Have ya camping gear sorted in there n take what ya need for each trip u take. If ya need shower gear, take that n so on. Dont carry all ya stuff.
I AM LIKE A HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH WATER IN IT - I AM WELL
Smileandhug
Camping Veteran

Postby Pauly » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:24 am

We try to only have the fridge in the back of our Cruiser. Basically our trailer stays loaded and all we have to do to go away is fill the gas bottles, water tank, put in our cloths and food. The biggest trick is to get things that fit. I made a kitchen that holds everything including a 2 burner BBQ. You need to think out of the camping gear square and find things that work, simple things like our washing up bowl is a square storage container that fits into a draw, pots that we can remove their handles, instead of getting big chunky things be concious of what you need and how it fits. Our kitchen slides out seperate from the trailer but it holds everything. It takes up nearly half the camper but it holds all cooking and eating stuff so it a good use of space.
Our bed stays made so thats less bedding in the trailer, my daughters both have cots without mattresses that lay flat.

camper box.jpg

This is our camper ready for clothes, pillows and food. Inside here we have all our cooking and eating gear, dry tinned food, snacks etc 4 chairs 2 sleeping bags 2 stretcher a badmington set, boche set, games, Toilet tent, 4 drizabones, table and chairs, 2 bags of heat beads, 2 litres of kero, 2 kero lanterns, billy, toilet. On top of the tent we have several lengths of shade cloth, 9 x 7 tarp and a couple of smaller tarps. At home we dont take anything out of the camper besides cloths and food that way its always ready to go.

This is our kitchen set up, it now has a swing out table that let us get rid of a prep table. I made the kitchen to suit the 2 burner BBQ and the rest just falls into place.

kitchen.jpg

My wife is good at organising stuff and packs pretty well, here is our cultlery draw, Everytime we pack the kitchen up I am amazed how much she gets in.

draw1.jpg

Img_4654.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pauly on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 pm

That's a pretty well organised setup Pauly......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snake_dr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:16 pm

i fill the camper trailer, the boot of the prado and then some, but i have lots of people to cater for.

but i too have just been through some consolidation and removed or changed items to better suit, put things not needed for our caravan park style camping we're in with the kids and its getting better every time we go out.

but everytime i make space the wife takes it, its a never ending battle. i need a ute!
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby Brett A » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Good looking set up there Pauly. What sort of legs have you used on the kitchen? Anymore pics of it?

Dettie i would recommend getting slide out boxes ( Have a look at DRIFTA website ) makes life alot easier

Brett
Brett A
Boy Scout

Postby dea » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:58 pm

we fit everything in out CT .. we do leave all beds on top of the bed tho ...have 3 pole holders .. & my kitchen take sup half of the trailer .. but we fit alot in the kitchen too .. only thing we have in our car is out 80L fridge .. its fantastic .. we tie 4 bikes on top of the toolbox as well .... i love my CT .. its more like my 2nd home now ...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby Pauly » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks

The legs are square steel tubes that are removeable. Mounted on the kitchen ends are four slightly larger tubes that the others slide into, they are not adjustable butr I just dig the dirt a bit to level it out. The kitchen is very heavy when its full, my wife and I can lift it and carry it but its awkward so we take the draws out then set it up. Kitchen takes about 10/15 minutes to get from in the trailer to fully set up including the bbq, gas connected and contents spread out.

I am going to build another trailer and kitchen, the new kitchen will have adjustable legs and it might also be on slides attached to the tailgate, undecided at the moment.

If anybody is thinking of making a kitchen mine is made out of 9mm kauri pine plywood, the kitchen empty dosnt weigh much, its all the crap you put in it that makes it heavy lol.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Dettie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for your valuable suggestions. Hubby is coming with me later in the week to look at Kangaroo Tent City camper trailer. $3399 for the Camper 7. It seems like exceptional value. The canvas is made in China 12 oz but made to their Aussie specs. It's basically a collaboration between Kangaroo Tent City and Oztrail. Can't wait to check it out!

Isn't the Drifta website an inspiration?!

Thanks again!

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 pm

The Oztrail toppers are pretty good value and I have not heard of anyone who has been unhappy with them.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 am

Hi,
I have seen some of the oztrail toppers and they seem to look pretty good. You will find the camper 7 way too small. It is quite short in height and in my opinion, not worth it. I found the camper9, which comes in both side fold and rear fold to be a good size. I would have gone for the side fold because it seemed to offer a bit more usable space inside, meaning the arrangement of extra beds seemed to fit better.
I was seriously going to go down this route but was lucky to find a camel trailer secondhand and I went with that instead.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dettie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks Sienna & Gypsy! I think I"m going to check them out at the Parramatta store today. I'm 2 weeks into Pneumonia so hopefully will have the energy to drag my arse over there. lol... the up side of being sick is that I lay in bed with my laptop, surrounded with camping mags and dream all day and into the wee hours of the morning about my ultimate trailer! :)

Am heading to Delicate Nobby (awesome spot) and a few other spots in NSW in the ypcoming april school hols. Have had to cancel this weekends planned trip to Huskisson for a mountain bike event and camping trip. Bummer!

Cheers
Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dettie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 pm

PS Sienna, thanks for the tip re Camper 9. Will definitely compare! I was thinking maybe the 7 would do the job for short stays and attach an annexe for 2+ night stays. If it's just 2/3 of us, do you think that would be enough? We aren't an overly tall family so maybe this will suffice.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby sienna » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:21 pm

When I go camping, it's usually me and my 3 1/2yo. Personally I like to spread out a bit so that does influence my opinion a bit. However, the camper 7 didn't really even allow you much standing room, let alone much space to put any extra beds. But always worth a look. Just remember, you will be using it for a very long time and you don't want to be wishing you had gotten something a bit bigger even for the overnight stays. Also, don't forget any cupboards etc you might wish to put up inside and toys etc. I also keep the bar fridge inside for safety reasons.

Sorry to hear you have pneumonia. That sucks. I have the tail end of a nasty cold which has turned into a sinus infection so I feel your pain (mine's prob not much compared to pneumonia but I understand). Hope you get better soon.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Camper Trailers