3 Dog Campers

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

3 Dog Campers

Postby Dettie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:03 am

Great news for me! My hubby isn't into camping the same way I am... it's kind of a thing that our 11 yo and I do together... but he's starting to think long term and, when business constraints allow him to travel more with me/us, he's seeing the merit in investing in a trailer camper. I've been doing a tonne of research and my narrowing down includes a 3dogcamper brand. They're based in Byron Bay and seem to put out a really good product. Aussie made 11 oz canvas.

http://3dogcamping.com/trailers.html#

with this youtube demo guide;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By9rKBJYESQ

I'd build it up to include a slide out kitchen - side folding camper and include an annexe option for longer stays than just over night. It's important to me that the rear trailer folds out so that the kitchen is well under cover. I'll keep the 3 way fridge in the back of the 4WD while on the road and pull it out next to the kitchen on gas mode while camping.

If any other enthusiasts are keen to let me know of this brand and/or setup, I'd love to hear.

Hubby thinks I'm a big dag for all of this (and teases me about my love of this site) but he'll love it when we're traveling to the top end for weeks on end one day. In the meantime, 11 yo Chris and I will cruise up and down the east coast of Aus and enjoy all our fab country has to offer - every school hols! It's all in the research, which as we all will attest, is half the fun!

Dettie :)
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: 3 Dog Campers

Postby sienna » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:39 am

It looks like a nice setup. I did watch the youtube video too. A couple things come to mind, though.
With the slide out kitchen, it looks like you lose a fair amount of storage space along the one side of the trailer. My kitchen is mounted on the back draw bar and swings out. This leaves most of the trailer empty for other stuff. This may not be an issue for you but worth a good look. Also, with the annexe, it is good to have the door in the middle of the wall because you can have a bed running along the far wall without coming too far into the room and not interfering with the door or access to the main bed.
I had a look at their base price and it does seem a little expensive, especially if you have to add the kitchen and other bits on. Have you considered getting a secondhand one first? They will often have all the bells and whistles for less than the new price and that way you can really see what you want/need out in the field. I got mine secondhand and it has let me see what I want, need and will get, next time round in a few years. It is also in mint condition and cost about half the new price (I was very lucky to get this one).
If you can get to a camping show, it is the most fun and knowledge gaining experience. All sorts of vendors in the one place at the one time. And often there are great show specials there as well. And you get to inspect the canvas up close and personal. You are definitely on the right track choosing aussie made canvas.

Good luck with your research.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 pm

depends on what your after really, the kitchen does take up a lot of room for what you get with it. im not a fan of having to have a ladder stored with your camper to climb into it but otherwise it would probably do the job.

depending on the money you want to spend and what your after i can only recommend lifestyle campers, i havent seen anything that comes close for functionality and price

this is there cheapest --> http://www.lifestylecampertrailers.com. ... -model.php

sorry to turn this into a i like this brand better but we did the camping show and camper shop run and havent seen anything that stacks up
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Here is another one to look at, my daughter recently bought one and is very happy with it. ModCon have a slighty different approach in that the kitchen is on the tailgate but when it folds out the kitchen swings around to the side of the CT.

It is a rear fold CT. http://www.camperfactory.com.au/

Have a look at their 'special' for January February.

It is not a competition, I personally think the more you look at the better your ideas will be on what you want.

(no, not on the payroll)

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby snake_dr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:02 pm

ooooh, think we saw those guys at the last camping show, had some really good idea's for storage, thought about trying to diy borrow a few of the shelving systems they had but it would take up too much room. they do look like good campers though, a caravan show is a great place to look at them though if you can wait ;-)
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:36 pm

Some years ago I designed my own CT then had to find someone to build it.....enter Kerry Jones from ModCon.

He has now incorporated some of the ideas from my CT in his campers. His soft floor rear fold is IMO the ideal CT for a family. Mine is not a soft floor.

(still not on the payroll but a very pleased customer)

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camper Trailers