Motorhome Rental from Cheap Motorhomes and Around Australia

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Motorhome Rental from Cheap Motorhomes and Around Australia

Postby mosetter » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:16 am

Hi, we're Canadians who have rented a motorhome from Around Australia Motorhomes over the internet using a company called Cheap Motorhomes Australia. Unfortunately, we have just now noticed (after paying the non-refundable deposit) that if we don't buy their CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) insurance, then they will charge our credit card for $6000 on the day we pick up the motorhome. They say they will credit our card for the $6000 on the day we return it in good shape, but we don't know anything about this company. If they are disreputable, it would be hard for us to force them to give us our $6000 back. We thought at first that this was just a 'hold' on our credit card, but we called them and they said they will actually 'charge' our credit card. They won't let us leave a bond or a certified bank cheque or anything else. Does anyone know anything good or bad about either of these two companies?

Thanks
Monika
mosetter
Boy Scout

Re: Motorhome Rental from Cheap Motorhomes and Around Australia

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:31 am

Hi Monika....I personally have never heard of them, the most popular ones that I know of are as follows:

Britz http://www.britz.com.au/

Kea: http://au.keacampers.com

Apollo: http://www.apollocamper.com.au/

Maui. http://www.maui.com.au/

.......and they are probably quite a lot more expensive.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:22 am

I think you will find that they ALL debit the credit card for overseas guests. I just checked Britz and Maui and they certainly do.

What is interesting is the different conditions for Aussie Residents as compared to our overseas guests. I guess some companies have been stung before and the majority have to pay for the minority.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Just did a run through all of them and YES, THEY ALL DEBIT YOUR CREDIT CARD
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby HGMonaro » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:44 pm

do they actually debit your card or just take an imprint of it? $6k is a lot to have riding on a card, you might not be able to buy anything else! Guess you'll be getting their CDW!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:46 pm

HGMonaro wrote:do they actually debit your card or just take an imprint of it? $6k is a lot to have riding on a card, you might not be able to buy anything else! Guess you'll be getting their CDW!

They all actually DO DEBIT YOUR CARD
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Derek wrote:
They all actually DO DEBIT YOUR CARD

That is a bit rough.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mosetter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:10 am

It's particularly rough since the rental company also charges me 1.75% on both the debit and the credit (which is their fee that they pay to the credit card companies for using their service).
And, the credit card company changes me 2.5% on both the debit and the credit (which is their fee for making a currency transaction, which is already in addition to the commision they made on doing the currency exchange).
In total, I'll be paying $510 in fees for the rental company to debit and credit that $6000 to my card.
The problem with their CDW is that even if I pay the $1250, that only limits my liability in the event of an accident to $2,000.00 (instead of $6,000). But, it does not cover overhead damage, windscreen, tyres or under body damage. I am also not covered if the accident occurs on an unpaved road. You may not have noticed, but I see a lot of unpaved sections of road in Australia, particularly in the National Parks which is where we intend to spend a lot of time. So, it'll cost us $1250 to reduce our liability by $4000. That means I'm paying them 31% ($1250) of that $4000 and I still have to additionally pay the first $2000 in any damages. It just doesn't seem like a good deal to me and my husband is used to driving much larger vehicles here in North America, as the combined length of our truck and trailer is 46 feet, and he's never had an accident in the 100,000 km of driving we've done in the past 10 years. I guess in the end, I'll let him decide. He's just feeling very uncomfortable about handing over $6000 to someone with no recourse if they decide not to give it back. It'd be pretty hard to sue them from Canada.
Monika
mosetter
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:23 am

mosetter wrote:
You may not have noticed, but I see a lot of unpaved sections of road in Australia

he's never had an accident in the 100,000 km of driving we've done in the past 10 years.
Monika

Let's hope his record remains in tact and that you will have no need for any insurance claim Monika.

And re your other comment about our unpaved roads....believe me when I say....yes we have noticed them. Most of us like to get away from the city lights etc and head bush to camp and there are many, many dirt roads and tracks around the place.

I did a trip myself in May-June last year....some 8000+ klms and 5000+ of that was what we call 'off the blacktop', in fact most of it was 'outback' Aust. There are a lot of unpaved roads here in Au.

BTW we see lots of Britz vans in the outback....surely they are not all that demanding.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 am

Monika - it might be a bit late now that you have already paid a deposit, but have you considered buying a motorhome? You re-sell before you leave and that way, although you are liable for any mechanical repairs you at least are in control of what you spend. Is it possible to limit the amount you'll be out of pocket (giving these sharks money for nothing) if you cancel the rental now before any more money seeps away? There are companies with buy-back schemes but not being in the market for a motorhome, I've never looked into that. But I have looked into car rental and concluded that it was entirely up to the owners to decide on damage and refund and I've heard enough horror stories not to want to be involved in vehicle rental.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:31 am

They have already paid a non refundable deposit Elaine....and that recommendation is probably not a viable one as they are only planning on being in the country for about 6 or 8 weeks from memory.

Pity Monika did not find this forum before hand.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:19 pm

We experienced the same thing when we went to NZ last year. I did a fair bit of research and decided it was a better deal to buy the insurance than pay the $5K or $6K deposit.

It was only a couple of hundred bucks and covered us for windscreens, a single vehicle accident, tyre damage and roof damage. The van we ended up with was a 6.8m long 3m high VW Transporter type vehicle, nothing like the vehicles we drive on a daily basis, so we then thought that the insurance was a good idea!

Cheap Aussie Motorhomes is a broker. We came across them when booking our van in NZ. The van we booked was a Backpacker branded vehicle, which we booked through Backpacker direct. In NZ the Maui brand is about the top of the line, Britz branded is the next one down, then Backpacker and another brand name that escapes me. All one big happy family - over time the vehicles get rebranded and rented out with a different name. (Ours had 'rebrand' written on the windscreen, which showed up after being driven down an unsealed road!)

Having been down a similar path my suggestion - you will get the $6K back - it will be from the company that own the van - which won't be Cheap Aussie Motorhomes. Most of the companies that they broker for are pretty big , well known operators so you should have few, if any difficulties. If you don't want to pay the $6K take out the insurance - there is every chance that you will damage a windscreen, in which case the insurance will have paid for itself.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby markcrook » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 pm

We have booked up with britz for our week in Alice and Ayres rock, same thing as the others said. We have gone for the CDW as that would blow out our CC as that is way over our limit!

We bought the CDW as part of a package, including linen, table and chairs etc so saved some money that way. 3 weeks tomorrow we fly to Alice and i cant wait.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Young Camping Family » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:57 pm

That's a bit sneaky isn't it - charging such an outrageous amount if you DON'T take out the insurance, which would force most people to just agree to the insurance. Having said that, every time we have hired a car we have always paid the extra to reduce the excess... yes you could wing it, but you have insurance for protection from the unexpected otherwise I guess you don't bother (although with hire cars there little option).
Having $6K spare on a credit card is a big ask - surely drivers licence, passport, travel documents etc could mean the people could be traced?
On the positive though, if you take before and after pics of the vehicle on a digital camera (with date and time) you could contest any dodgy claims (e.g. that scratch was already there), and usually your financial institution will have some sort of protection when it comes to credit cards (i.e. unauthorised transactions).
And when driving "off road" punctures, blowouts and cracked/chipped windscreens are common.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby Young Camping Family » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Bummer, just re-read and noticed neither tyres or windscreen covered... that's lousy!
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations