I love Camping! But with kids???

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Postby mytribe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:15 am

Hi Nenie

About 6 yrs ago we drove up to Timber Creek (N.T) in our Tarago we used to have, with 4 kids squished into it.

Took us 5 days to get there with the foot flat to the floor and lucky to do 90km.

Just got back from a couple of days up at Granny's Flat camping spot on the banks of the Jamieson river, was lovely...but trying to keep an eye on 3 llittle ones near water is not the most relaxing and the 13yr old was Dagnabbit's us so home again we came, 2 days short.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 am

mytribe, where exactily is that? Is it suitable for a wind-up camper (what's the roads like?)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby mytribe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:53 pm

It's part of the high country in Victoria, near Eildon, Mansfield area.

Where we stayed the roads were good, until you got to the road going down to the campsite, there were a couple of campervans but you'd have to have either a 4wd one or have it lifted or something.

Although a guy camping next to us went in, in his station wagon, but wasn't real sure on how he was going to get out with the trailer on.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:25 am

sounds good... we have a 'offroad' Goldstream and a Prado so if the guy in the station wagon isn't still there (i.e. he got out) then we should be ok.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:38 am

Is the Goldstream a Coromal Camper?

If so, what do you think of them?

We're looking at getting either the Silhouette or EKO but need to chat to some ppl who have them.

Pics?

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby campertrailernuts » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi There

In response to your question about camper trailers! Go for it! We bought one about 6 months ago and already feel we have got our monies worth. We looked for ages and knew what we wanted but just sat back and waited for the perfect second hand one to come up and thus saved heaps of money. We got a off road Trackabout with an unreal Drifta kitchen. We have 2 kids- 3 1/2 years and 16months and they absolutely love it.

We have friends with the same age kids and we all have camper trailers.

We always seem to go together and one of our friends brings their screened domed dining room with floor inbuilt and is quite big, we use this as the play tent. Each night after bath time and dinner time all the kids go inside and play with the toys then when they are sick of that we put a DVD on with the portable DVD player then its bed.

Also, my best advice is always take a high chair for the little one, I just take my regular high chair from home and our son sits in it, with no problems. The other older kids sit together at the camp table for meals.

I have a few questions about fridges coming up which I'll ask in a separate topic.

Thanks
campertrailernuts

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:59 am

Scolers wrote:Is the Goldstream a Coromal Camper?

If so, what do you think of them?

We're looking at getting either the Silhouette or EKO but need to chat to some ppl who have them.

Pics?

:armsup

Scol.

The Goldstream is similar to the Coromal's. The other main brand of 'wind-up' campers is Jayco of course. We looked at the Silhouette series and liked several aspects (for example, the single piece roof) and they seem similarly finished and built to the Goldstream, both seem better than the Jayco's however they are more expensive then a Jayco (as one would expect). However, one thing put us off the Coromal. They have a slide out kitchen to make more space inside but you could see gaps beside where is slides in and out which would have to let dust in. We thought it was just another thing to go wrong. Both Goldstream and Coromal would be heavier than the Jayco's (much heavier than a camper-trailer) and you need to consider that in regards to your tow car. We orginally were going to tow it with a 4cyl Subaru Outback but decided once loaded, it was going to be too near it's capacity so have upgraded to a Prado. It towed it with ease.

We took our Goldstream (a Wing III model --> http://www.goldstreamrv.com.au/ ) away for the 1st time recently and haven't got it up for sale, so didn't have any major problems. We had a sloping site and weren't prepared for that so had to hunt around for some bricks to put under the stabiliser legs. We also got rained upon and must not have errected the bed flys correctly as one gathered a pool of water that ran down onto the bed canvas. We had to pack it up wet which meant we had to dry it out once we got home. No real problem cause need to empty/clean it thoughly anyway. All good experience which was the intention of the trip. We took almost everything we'll be taking on our big trip (3-4mths) next year and had space to spare. Packed efficiently, there's a surprising amount of storage space.

Whether that style of unit suits is another question only answerable by yourself. I was initially was looking at the camper trailers but the Mrs got involved and a more substantial setup was deemed necessary.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks for that reply HG!

We havea CT that we love but can see that after a few years we will be after something more substantial. We don't want a fully fledged caravan and sarted looking at the Jayco range. As you say, they are ok but coromal (and now Goldstream) are better so we are likely to end up with one of these units.

Good observation about the kitchen too ... my wife was starting to like the kitchen so maybe we might stay clear of it.

Towing is no problem for us ... V6 Paj ... I hardly know the CT is there at times. We'll just need to get electric brakes.

Thanks again!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:00 pm

Hi Campertrailernuts!

Great tips, wouldn't of thought of the high chair! Also that tent would be great as a toy/play room, wish I had of thought of that before I ordered my $2k annexe (bugger).

Did you take a portacot for your little one when you first started camping? I am really torn between taking it or saving space.

Thanks for the tips!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Nenie23 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:28 pm

Oh mummeee!

Let me put down two different options regarding the port a cot. I have done both. :***

Option 1 - no port a cot. Lets see, more room in the car or trailer, but where to put the child for a sleep. Night not so bad, but in the day, when I layed my daughter on the bed, she would get up, and up, and up, then crawl through the zipper outside, or get into all the bags, or climb up onto our bed or do what ever she pleased and I would spend an hour of walking in and out of the CT to make sure she wasnt in to anything. Most of the time - NO SLEEP - ROUND 1 TO BABY - MOTHER STUFFED!!!

Option 2 - port a cot - a little less room in the car or CT, but a child that gets put down for a day sleep at 1.00pm, mother walks out with baby crying a bit, walks to fridge, gets out :beer and sits for 5 mins until baby settles down knowing baby cant get out, crawl out, climb up or hurt themselves. All this = refreshed mother at 3.00 when baby finally wakes up. ROUND 2 TO MOTHER - BABY HAPPY AND SLEPT WELL.

Up to you but I chose to take a port a cot with me with both kids. Pain in the but - but worth it for mums peace.!!!!
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Ding Ding! Porta Cot is the winner!!

Packing portacot even if I have to leave hubby at home :***
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:29 pm

You've been and come back now Mummeee ... we want the pics ... :?# :?# :?#

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:35 pm

I know I know

Will get there... promise.... still haven't taken the chrissy tree down!!

Might need help on the pics side of things but will do soon! :lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:37 pm

Go to this thread for help posting pics ...

viewtopic.php?t=524

Our tree came down yesterday ... :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for the link Scolers, hopefully do it tonight when the munchkins are asleep, I am pushing my time now while Playschool is on (thank god for Playschool)

Feeling bit better about the tree situation, I am usually a take down before NY person!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions: