I have finally bought one!

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

I have finally bought one!

Postby Dettie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 am

I know eBay campers get a bad wrap, but I decided to give it a go. For $2800 the basic on-road CT seems too hard to go past, given I won't be using it off road (apart from a few short dirt roads here and there). It ticks all the boxes and the canvas and structure looks like it will do the job. It comes with the full annexe. I've ordered the 85 litre water tank and hand pump to go with it. I got it through 'Market Direct' in Brissy so will be taking a road trip from Sydney next week to pick it up.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... SI:AU:1123
or
http://www.marketdirect.com.au/index.ph ... 3&TreeId=3

WoooHooo! Will make camping life so much easier and comfy than the tent.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: I have finally bought one!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:02 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Dettie....look forward to hearing all about it on your return.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Woot Woot Dettie..... :+ :+ Congrats

Look forward to seeing some photos of your first trip :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby markcrook » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Dettie,

Ours was an ebay camper (bought from Liberty campers in SA), it was a lot cheaper and had similar spec than a lot we looked at, As we decided to start basic and build from there. The canvas etc is great, it is let down more by the trailer - which does the job adequatley but is not the best quality (the finish leaves a bit to be desired!). Loads of storage inside and the toolbox was included. But we do love it, and we can arrive on site and be making a cup of tea :beer fully set-up in about half an hour.

If money were no object then we would but a track trailer t-van, but until our lotto numbers come up we are happy with what we have got.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Pumbaa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Congradulations on you purchase.... Can not wait to see the pics and hear all about it when you return.

Greg
Pumbaa

Postby Dettie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks Guys, I appreciate you sharing my enthusiasm :) and will definitely take a stack of piccies.

MarkCrook, your setup looks exactly like what I have in mind with the kitchen area. I'm buying the exact same white trundle as yours from Bunnings as my 'kitchen' and going to get some of those blastic boxes with the drawers so I can store cutlery and cooking equipment a bit better. Your tent looks great! Does it cope with short and graded dirt roads ok?

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Gab_n_Gee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Good score there Dettie. Did you buy the extra spare etc?

Pity they arent closer to Melbourne, would be worth a look.

Gareth
Gab_n_Gee
Boy Scout

Postby Titch » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Now get out and enjoy it :+ :+
Titch

Meant to say Well Done. :?#
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Gab n Gee, I just went with the extra supporter poles for the annexe along with the under trailer 85 litre water tank and pump tap for more remote/freedom camping.

Thanks Titch... I am itching to pick it up next week! I think my 18 yo will come along on the road trip with me to share the driving and on the 2nd day on the way back to Syd, we'll pull up somewhere (Camps 5 will get it's first real use) and I'll take some pics.

Cheers
Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby markcrook » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 am

Dettie wrote:Thanks Guys, I appreciate you sharing my enthusiasm :) and will definitely take a stack of piccies.

MarkCrook, your setup looks exactly like what I have in mind with the kitchen area. I'm buying the exact same white trundle as yours from Bunnings as my 'kitchen' and going to get some of those blastic boxes with the drawers so I can store cutlery and cooking equipment a bit better. Your tent looks great! Does it cope with short and graded dirt roads ok?

Dettie

Hi Dettie,

It is a semi-off road so does cope with graded dirt roads without any hassle, I have beefed up the seals around the tail gate and in the tool box to prevent to much dust getting in.

The plastic boxes are great, go for the ones with wheels on as it makes sliding them in and out that bit easier. The only issue we had was our crockery mugs kept breaking (we dont like plastic) we figured out it was 'cause we had them stacked inside each other and they got bounced about a bit on some rougher stuff. We now pad them and have no problems.

Enjoy your CT

Mark
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Dettie, we found that the Sterilite plastic drawers were really good when we had our old CT that didnt have a kitchen in it. http://www.sterilite.com/ProductDetail.html?ProductId=328&Section=Storage

We had four of the big drawers which fitted just inside the tailgate, 2 across and 2 on top which left some room for poles down the side also.
They were my kitchen and I had one drawer for plates,bowls, cups etc, one for cutlery, one for foodstuffs (which I have kept and is in our new CT) and the other had stuff like teatowels, potmitts, foil, etc in it. I had it set up so that all we had to do was open the tailgate and it was all there. We also had the white table with our stove, washing up stuff on it also. I got ours from our local Mitre 10 shop and they were a bit pricey but we are in a small country town and I like to try to buy local if I can because we have our own small business too. But Bunnings will probably have them or very similar and they are worth the money as they take a bit of a beating too.

Just an idea that worked really well for us and was easy for the kids to get what they needed without having it EVERYWHERE :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Xmasbaby, Thanks for those great ideas from your previous setup. I was looking for those larger drawer combo sets at Bunnings but couldn't find them, so have sent an email to track down the stockists for sterilite now. That is a really great idea and so neat! At the moment I have 2 big storage boxes - utilities - food... and with the tent setup it was getting cumbersome. I will go and check out Kmart too but might hold off until I get the trailer and can double check internal dimensions.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:50 am

Dettie wrote:might hold off until I get the trailer and can double check internal dimensions.

Dettie

THAT is the best way to go Dettie....otherwise you are likely to have items that are not suitable and do not fit.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:40 am

I could also get the smaller ones at Target so maybe try there as well when your new CT arrives.
Very exciting time for you :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 am

Sorry for the tardy reply but congrats on the new ct purchase.
As GL says, wait to get measurements before buying storage boxes. It would be a bother to have to take stuff back. It took me ages to find plastic boxes to fit inside my ct kitchen and in the end I stumbled across some plastic drawers I already had that fit perfectly.
Hope you have a great road trip.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Camper Trailers