Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:23 pm

We have bought/ordered a Waeco 37L (CF40) and paid $800, not sure whether the saving of $400 is worth it if it is really bulky and heavy, we only have a medium car tho' so weight is an issue for us, perhaps for you it might be a good deal, esp as you don't have kids (well I don't think you do :) and don't need as much food yet, unless ofcourse you eat a lot! They didn't say what brand? Is it gas as well perhaps? I also looked at the Evakool and they looked bulky with less storage volume? But they are only 12/24V.

Would love to know where this factory outlet is tho (not for the fridge) but camping stores have become my fetish :lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:51 pm

Ummm .. a little confused ... the WAECO is 12v/240v only. From what I can gather you dont need gas. The WAECO is GOOD as it can cool stuff down to 50 degrees below ambient ie. it has to be bl00dy hot for you not to freeze ... if the temp is 40 degrees then it can freeze at -10 degrees .. get it?

Gas ones dont do well ... about 25 degrees below ambient so you have chosen well (although there is a WAECO vs Engel argument ... pfft ... ).

Again .. a bit confused as to what you wrote ... it's like you bought an Engel and then you enquired about 12v/240v/gas???
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:08 pm

Oh it's been a long day.

I bought a Waeco, which is 12V/240V.

I avoided gas for mainly weight reasons I think, but I wondered if the one that Ozzy was talking about might of been gas as well, making it more bulky?

Or it might of been an Evakool brand which was also bulky for the capacity in comparison to the Waeco? Also when I looked on the Evakool website they said it ran on 12V and 24V, buggered if I know what 24V is, and once I saw the weights and capacities I didn't look any further, I thought 24V must be battery or something?? Wrong?? But then I think Evakool is Aussie made so musn't be what he was looking at??

Does that make sense? I dont' think my brain is working right today, I am confusing everyone around me, but hey I know what I am on about, um well I think I do :***
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:20 pm

I think you've done alright although I would go for a 60ltr plus ... just my opinon.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Scol did you see Ozzy's post?? I am confused now, I'm OK with my choice, but ozzy put in a post about one he was looking at today??

This is too confusing i am off to chat with my pillow.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:25 pm

Ok, the one i looked at is 12v... and maybe 240v too i didnt ask :? . Its 65cm long, 45cm high, and 35cm deep/wide. I lifted it and its noticably heavy but not crazy heavy. I dunno now, whats the cheapest 'name brand' kompressor fridge you can get" :? ..... dammit, got me wanting a fridge now :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:31 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Back the the whole fridge freezer thing.... was driving around doing errands today and stopped of at a certain camping store, which just happens to be the factory outlet for this big camping "brand", and I asked about a fridge freezer.

The manager showed me two that they had and said they had got them from the manufacturer in the US with the intention of putting their brand on it and selling them, they since decided that the fridg/freezer market was too competitive and changed their minds about selling them here. So they have two of these things going cheap. $400 :shock: . Proper fridge one, with a kompressor, the walls look to be atleast 1 1/2 - 2" thick, and he said they tried it in store and it got down "well below freezing... at a guess minus 15 - 25 degrees easy".

Its rather bulky but only has 25L capacity (I'm of the belief that this was their reason for not going ahead with selling em as engel/waeco ones of this size/weight are about 40-50L capacity, but he didn't say that) I asked him about a warranty and he said 2 years... sounds great to me but i'm a little weary :? .... oh and i'm not mentioning the name yet cause there's only two of them and I might really want it :mrgreen:

need to read this scol.... how many beers u up to 2night?? :lol:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:34 pm

Oh I get it now!!!

:beer
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:37 pm

There was a Waeco fridge in the recent Kmart catalogue, $159 I think.
Not sure of size or cooling capacity, but cheap!
Quickly put that in the recycling before my DH saw it!!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Hey Guys I am now "Captain Camping"

wooooo hooooo for me :+
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:42 pm

mummeee74 wrote:There was a Waeco fridge in the recent Kmart catalogue, $159 I think.
Not sure of size or cooling capacity, but cheap!
Quickly put that in the recycling before my DH saw it!!

that would be one of the crappy electrkinetisyshydrolosis kooler thingimajiggy's :mrgreen: ... not a proper fridge/freezer. Only kools UP TO 25deg below AMBIENT temp... so if its a 40 degreee day u can have warm beer instead of HOT beer :***
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:34 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:Back the the whole fridge freezer thing.... was driving around doing errands today and stopped of at a certain camping store, which just happens to be the factory outlet for this big camping "brand", and I asked about a fridge freezer.

The manager showed me two that they had and said they had got them from the manufacturer in the US with the intention of putting their brand on it and selling them, they since decided that the fridg/freezer market was too competitive and changed their minds about selling them here. So they have two of these things going cheap. $400 :shock: . Proper fridge one, with a kompressor, the walls look to be atleast 1 1/2 - 2" thick, and he said they tried it in store and it got down "well below freezing... at a guess minus 15 - 25 degrees easy".

Its rather bulky but only has 25L capacity (I'm of the belief that this was their reason for not going ahead with selling em as engel/waeco ones of this size/weight are about 40-50L capacity, but he didn't say that) I asked him about a warranty and he said 2 years... sounds great to me but i'm a little weary :? .... oh and i'm not mentioning the name yet cause there's only two of them and I might really want it :mrgreen:

need to read this scol.... how many beers u up to 2night?? :lol:

It was one the other page ... I'M SOOOO CONFUSED ... ::() ::() ::()

:booty

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:25 am

"electrkinetisyshydrolosis kooler thingimajiggy's"

:***

I guess it's the old story, you get what you pay for.
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:23 pm

I got it :armsup

and now, for the punch line... i haggled it down :mrgreen: ... and they also threw in a 240v converter plug thingy for it so can use it at home too.... and, the grand finale to make everyone envious...... a link to Coleman US who sell them there
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... oryid=8595
.... check out the price, in $US ::()

Bargain :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup :armsup

After some google-ing we found out that its not a cheapo bodgey brand after all :mrgreen: . I'm muchly stoked :mrgreen:

Here's pics:

and a mate bought the other one so sorry none left :mrgreen: Could try and hassle them to get more in maybe :idea:
But I gotta give the joint a plug, Coleman Service Centre Outlet, Shop 43/44 Minchinbury Hometown, Great Western Highway NSW. Actually very pleasant people to deal with and very helpful :armsup
Last edited by Ozzycamperboy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Well Done!! (can't believe you haggled!) :+
What a deal!

What other stuff do they sell there, I've been to the camping store on the corner but haven't seen this place advertised anywhere?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations