Bike carrier for tow bar

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Bike carrier for tow bar

Postby sienna » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:09 pm

I am looking at ways to carry a bike or two somewhere on my vehicle or ct apart from in the boot of my Forrester. After a little reading on the net, I found a bike carrier that is tow bar mounted and theoretically you can use the trailer/ct at the same time. However, a salesman and his manager pointed out that you wouldn't be able to use the carrier and a trailer because of lack of clearance once you put a bike on the carrier. I asked about getting a higher carrier and they told me it would end up being illegal.
So is this the case?
Other options include vertically mounting the spare tyre on my ct draw bar and putting a carrier of sme sort next to it, attaching a tow bar mount on the back of my ct and using a carrier there, or just tying the bike onto the currently horizontally mounted tyre on my ct draw bar (this option wont' be good when the bike gets bigger).
Using a roof mounted rack is out of the question as it would be too high up for me to comfortably reach especially when the bike gets bigger.

Ideas and thoughts greatly appreciated.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Bike carrier for tow bar

Postby Dettie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Hey Sienna

I'm facing the same dilemma. I currently have car roof mounted bike carriers which are great but only when there's a big bloke around to help get them down. I find it difficult getting them on/off the 4WD without my hubby around and worry about scratching the car with the front fork of the MTB.

A few days ago, I asked a salesman at Repco if they had a CT solution and he mentioned that there are manufacturers out there that provide a solution for the back of the CT... my only concern with this is how easy they are to get off for quick day stop access to the tailgate... I'll keep you posted on my research. I'm sure I've seen them out there... but as you've mentioned, perhaps this involves an additional tow bar on the back of the CT.

I've thought about using the front towing section of the trailer but apparently this could impede cornering while driving.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby sienna » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:11 am

I would think that as long as you had the bikes mounted as close to the main body of the trailer on the draw bar it would be ok as the draw bar naturally gets wider as it gets closer to the box section of the trailer. But then does that mean you can't fit a tool box there? And what about the spare tyre? I also want to put on some pvc pipes for pole carriers and it has been suggested that you bolt them onto the front of the trailer.
There is only so much room along the draw bar and you only have a certain amount of width before turning becomes an issue.
So many things to think about!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:20 am

sienna wrote:I am looking at ways to carry a bike or two somewhere on my vehicle or ct apart from in the boot of my Forrester. After a little reading on the net, I found a bike carrier that is tow bar mounted and theoretically you can use the trailer/ct at the same time. However, a salesman and his manager pointed out that you wouldn't be able to use the carrier and a trailer because of lack of clearance once you put a bike on the carrier. I asked about getting a higher carrier and they told me it would end up being illegal.
So is this the case?

need pictures!

I have seen these on cars (I think my sis-in-law has one even) but I've never paid any attention to the positioning of the bikes in regard to the trailer drawbar.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:09 am

We had a bike carrier on the back of our old CT. We never used it though as my kids take scooters which pack flat into the tool box. Our old CT was custom made so that may change things, but ours just had a square tube of steel welded underneath the back of the trailer and the bike rack(custom made also) would just slot in and bolt. Have put a picture of it up here but it's only of the CT set up back if you look carefully at the back rear of the tailgate you can make out the square tube that is welded there. Hope this helps a little and I'm not very techincally minded (that's hubby's job) when it comes to this sort of boy stuff. :--?

Hope you can make it out.....look closely!!!

xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:29 am

Also just found this on the Campertrailers.org website. Just another idea to throw in the mix.

http://www.campertrailers.org/bike_rack.htm
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:34 am

Hey I found one similar to what we had on our old CT except this one he put a towball on and then attached the bike rack where our old bike rack was made to fit into the square thingo (technical term i'm sure???) under the trailer like in these photos but ours was a little closer to the ct because we didn't have the towball attached. Just another option.
http://www.campertrailers.org/hitch_receiver.htm
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 pm

XmasBaby, that first setup on your original CT looks like the sort of option I'd prefer. I can see the bar underneith, you're talking about... just ::() ... :lol: I suppose I'll just wait and see how my trailer is put together and what I can do with it. In the meantime, if I come across any other solutions, I'll definitely let you know Sienna. For me, this is a real must have accessory.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Brett A » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Sienna
Dont know if this helps but this is our set up. We carry 4 bikes on the rack most times
Brett
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brett A
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:14 pm

I have mine mounted on the rear of the trailer. The camper has a 2" inside measurement square tube welded under the back. The bike rack is a Rhino Rack and has a square tongue that slides in and locks in place the same as a Hayman Reece tow bar tongue.

Here is the welded tube

Here it is with my bike.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby sienna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks everyone. I've been camping this weekend so have been away a bit.
I went to buy a tow bar mounted carrier but as I said I got talked out of it by the salesman. So I ended up tying the bike onto the draw bar and anchoring it to the spare wheel. very tedious and annoying doing it this way but no other option on such short notice.
But it got me thinking aobut the situation. I saw a couple caravans with carriers on the back of them and I realised that the wheels would not be overhanging the drawbar cos they stick out on the sides. And if you were turning a tight corner, you would be effectively jack knifing the trailer if you managed to get the draw bar touching the bikes. So I'm a bit annoyed by the whole situation with the salesman who I think seems to be quite wrong.

Anyway, the best solution I can come up with is to mount the carrier next to the spare wheel on the draw bar as this does not interfere with opening my wagon's back door. However, this is not an option due to finances and I won't be able to carry a bike without the trailer. So I'm going to get a tow bar mounted carrier like Bja suggested (thanks for the pic).
Now I just have to find one at a different store than the one I went to originally. I remember seeing one at Repco I think.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide