[TR] Jindabyne NSW, January 2010

[TR] Jindabyne NSW, January 2010

Postby bockstar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi there

In response to this thread (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4392), we journeyed south on New Years Day with the intention of taking in Canberra and Questacon and then the Snowy Mountains.

Questacon was great. Kids had a ball and so did the parents. Definately worth a visit and a full day would be required. We stayed as the Canberra South Motor Park. It was adequate for the 2 night stay and would be reasonable base for exploring the delights of the Canberra region.

Jindabyne Holdiay Park was the next stop. A brilliant park located right on the lake and close into town. The park is a popular destination for the boaty set as it allows easy launching access to the Lake. Both the powered and non-powered sites situated on the north part of the park have fantastic views of the lake and surrounding mountains.

We spent time swimming and relaxing (be careful during summer as the sun is pretty potent). It was extremely dry and on some days quite windy.

We did the summit walk up Kousi from Thredbo. Picked a pearler of day as the weather was clear and still. I'd encourage you to take this walk as it's pretty stratight-forward, 13kms all up. The mountains are spectacular at this time of year with little streams and wild flowers in abundance.

We took a drive done the Alpine Way to Tom Groggin. Great spot right on the Murray and perfect place for 4-5 days.

Here's some snaps of the Caravan Park at Jindy.

http://www.caravanparkphotos.com.au/jindabyne/index.htm

Cheers.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Re: [TR] Jindabyne NSW, January 2010

Postby Dettie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Oh yes... I have very vivid recollections of staying in a friends caravan at that caravan park... the only difference it was peak ski season. We were skiing Perisher during the day and bunking down in the caravan at night. I would NOT recommend staying there in ski season. My son and I both came home with ear infections! :-bang but I have heard that the snowy mountains are amazing for trekking and cycling in spring/summer.

That spot on the Murry sounds like a nice one too.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Re: [TR] Jindabyne NSW, January 2010

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:27 pm

This is our normal spot to stay when we head down to Thredbo for the Country Music Channel Rocks the Snowy's festival. Have stayed there each year on a powered tent site and are booked again for this year.

The walking trail on the edge of the lake passes the statue of the explorer Paweł Edmund Strzelecki, who climbed and named Mt Kosiuszko. In actual fact he climbed what is now known as Mt Townsend, and is not the highest mountain in Australia. The New South Wales government changed the names of the mountains around in 1910, so that Kosiuszko is now the name of the highest mountain, not the mountain climbed by Strzelecki.

Interestingly Strzelecki has a desert, mountain ranges, a highway and a track named after him. In typically Aussie fashion Sharon Strzelecki from Kath and Kim shares his name.

I love the Snowy Mountains and the tales.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Return to NSW