Pet-friendly Shoalhaven river camping?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Pet-friendly Shoalhaven river camping?

Postby Lin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Anyone know of any spots on the Shoalhaven where you can take pets? No facilities needed.

Cheers!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Pet-friendly Shoalhaven river camping?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Did you have a look at Ozcamps Lin??? http://ozcamps.net/
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi Lin

I must have missed this post earlier. Try my blog at http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/2009/ ... eyong.html

We call it Charleyong Crossing but it is sometimes called Stewart's Crossing. It's 2WD access, free, pet friendly, no facilities, and we love it because the phones don't work! It is the Shoalhaven River - just a fair way from the coast - inland from Nerriga.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 am

"and we love it because the phones don't work!"

:*** I think we have very similar ideas about what constitutes a nice campsite!

Thanks for that. Reading it now. :)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:26 am

It looks like just what I've been looking for! Easy drive from Canberra, not busy, nice bush area, dogs and campfires allowed and a beautiful river and even a beach. I want to go there straight away now! My friends have their heart set on going to Mystery Bay in 2 weeks, but I'm going to try my best to convince them to go to this place. The Far South Coast is too far for just a weekend. (And the coast closer to Canberra is just way too busy to my liking!)

My friend is a tad worried about rainfall, flash floods and getting stuck in our little 2WD though. Maybe justified, but I'd feel ok risking it after maybe checking the condition of the road with someone in the area.

Thanks heaps for posting!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:07 pm

Being a serious fan of Bombala - you gotta admire a place in which you can see wild Platypuses at 4am from the riverbank beside the bridge - it might meet your needs.

http://www.visitnsw.com/town/Bombala.as ... mbala+Area

Bombala Caravan Park - Bombala

Beside the beautiful Bombala River and just a stone's throw away from Bombala's main street, the Bombala Caravan Park is a perfect location as a base to explore the majestic South East Forests, the...

Rating: 3 Stars, accredited by AAA Tourism

Delegate Caravan Park - Delegate

The Delegate Caravan Park is located in a quiet riverside location, at the Bill Jeffrey’s Memorial Park, just a pleasant stroll into town. The facilities on offer include a clean amenities block...

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Lin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks Elaine! They bought would be good too when we're looking for easier camping options. Never been out that way, I think.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:16 pm

We stopped in at the Delegate Caravan Park on the way back from our visit to he Snowy's the other week and had lunch. I didn't think much of it. It is a council run operation adjacent to the local park. There was little shade, the toilet block was open to the public but the shower and kitchen facilities are locked. According to the sign you get a key by contacting the manager by phone. Given the limited facilities and the lack of shade, there are nicer places that a person could stay.

Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks for that info, Kev. Doesn't sound like our kind of place at all (absolutely HATE no shade!).
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 am

I went looking for a photo for you, but it seems I didn't take any. I must have been less impressed that I thought. Generally I will take a pic of wherever we stop.
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:55 am

Lin wrote:Thanks for that info, Kev. Doesn't sound like our kind of place at all (absolutely HATE no shade!).

My three! The more trees the better!
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Lin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:09 am

It's one of the reasons why I liked ours pot at Wee Jasper so much (Swinging Bridge). Lush green grass next to the river and plenty of deciduous trees for shade. The campfire rule didn't agree with me though. I might go back in April though if they do allow fires. I think some of my friends are still to worried about getting bogged on the road into the Shoalhaven spot, so I doubt if I'll manage to convince them to check it out. (And my socialite daughter prefers company other than mum and the dog!)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi Lin

You won't get bogged on the way in to Charleyong Crossing. If it rains the road might be slippery, but not boggy. I mention a water crossing on my blog. You shouldn't get bogged their either - it is a concrete causeway. Give it a go - it is worth it - and there are trees there! It might be a bit of a test for the young socialite though...

Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm considering finally trying this spot out the October long weekend. Everywhere else will be too busy to my liking. I'll just have a bit of a hard time convincing my friends to come.

(My daughter wants to absolutely add a smiley to this post, so :***
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations