The colour of the canvas ????????

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

The colour of the canvas ????????

Postby Serenity Now » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi,

I have been checking out so much info on this site and i love checking out everyones camp site.

I am still thinking about going from tent based camping to CT camping (havent quite convinced Hubby yet).

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the colours of the canvas,pros and cons??
There are some darker shades i notice and i like the look but am concerned that they get considerably hotter inside the CT.

Is the colour of the canvas just personal choice.I know there are more important issues when buying a CT but i really like the darker grey.

Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Re: The colour of the canvas ????????

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Serenity, I know what you mean about talking hubby into it... I had to do some serious convincing and now HE is the one bragging about how great and easy the CT is... and he wants to install a deluxe kitchen!

As with colour, I think the top of the roof would be the most important aspect... ours is cream coloured with the typical blue walls. The grey sounds really nice to me!

Wants some tips on convincing your hubby? I ended up using them all. lol

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Serenity Now » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Dettie,

Have you posted photos of your CT,i am not sure where to look if you have.

Cheers.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Serenity Now » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Hey Dettie,

Looks awesome,very exciting for you guys.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks Serenity :) It literally took no longer than 10 minutes to setup, and that was the very first go. It comes with an annexe that you can choose to attach for longer stays and I think that probably will take 15 mins to erect.

Although my experience with CT's is so limited, I can't fault it and it's a newby off eBay. The only thing hubby pointed out was that the side bar comes across the doorway, but he said he can just install some other type of bar very easily for when we're staying places longer than a night. Got to love a bargain!

I really should have taken more photos on the weekend when I had it home with the new doona etc but will do later.

Which CT have you been eyeing off?

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby dea » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 am

looks geat dettie ...

my CT is a dark blue with grey .. it does get a bit hot tho .. but still works out fine ...i think the colour is a very personal choice...
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:02 am

I have read somewhere that the colour blue attracts mozzies which is rather interesting because I had a blue and yellow tent for many years without knowing this.

My CT is jade green walls with light grey roof and navy blue trim. If choosing again I would go for a darker colour as it does not show the marks quite so easily.

Most good CTs today have very big windows so a dark colour should not be a problem when it come to retaining the heat. However in saying that, IMO the roof must be a light colour for light as well as less heat retention.

And I would NEVER put up a camp without having a tarp over. In fact I would put a tarp over before I would put the awning up. The awning only ever goes up for when the annex walls go on.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 am

Our new one is maroon walls with cream roof

[img][IMG]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/xmasbaby67/NEW%20CAMPER%20TRAILER/campermurray041.jpg[/img][/img]

and the old one was dark green walls with cream roof

[img][IMG]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/xmasbaby67/ChristmasHols209.jpg[/img][/img]

We found that there hasn't been a real difference between the two and the cream roof lets a lot of light in and like gypsy said with the big windows in the new one we found it a little cooler probably due to the airflow and also the big windows make it lighter and also having the annexe helps I think when it's really hot. I still think it's a personal thing but with a dark colour on the roof I would think it would be really dark inside the CT and retain the heat too much.

Hey Dettie your new CT looks great !!! Congrats :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 am

Wall colour in CTs is often just whatever you get sent. In the far-off marquee-camping days, the cheaper tents had whiteish walls which made for a great show at night for the on-lookers. Fortunately ours had green walls so no lantern-show from us (spoilsports, eh?).

I see that angle metal prop-thing going right across the doorway! Not very practical.

Now I'm delving into my memory here, but either or both of the CTs had an adjustable vertical prop which neatly skirted the doorway. There wasn't much leeway but it didn't foul the doorway. A bit of jiggling might do the trick or a little modification to have a vertical metal thingy rather than an angled one. I know the adjustments had to be as tight as possible to keep the original shape of the canvas and there was not much room for experiment.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Serenity Now » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 pm

gypsylady wrote:

And I would NEVER put up a camp without having a tarp over. In fact I would put a tarp over before I would put the awning up. The awning only ever goes up for when the annex walls go on.

Hi GL,
Why would you never put up a camp without having a tarp.

Thanks
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Sorry about the photos was having a blonde moment!!!!! :***

New camper (maroon/cream)

Old camper (green/cream)

We chose the colour scheme for our new camper as that was an option.

Also we are naughty campers as with the CT we dont set up a tarp but used to when we were tenting it.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:47 pm

Serenity Now wrote:

Hi GL,
Why would you never put up a camp without having a tarp.

Thanks

NEVER SN....it always goes up. The smaller 20x25 for short stays and the larger 25x30 for longer stays.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Your tarp is your life saver Serenity now, keeps crap off the roof,gives shade for hotter weather keeps condensation off, keeps the temperature for cooler weather,saves packing up wet if it rains plus gives you shelter from the rain,makes an extra awning. Just the most important thing you can take. I have camped in absolutely pouring rain and every thing was dry because my tarp is twice as big as my set up.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm

PJ & Gypsy, I'd love to know how you get one of those setup - especially if you're traveling solo. My head hurts whenever I think about tarps. lol

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Camper Trailers