Luggaloo

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Luggaloo

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:33 am

I need something for my mother to use for a loo in her tent at night when she comes camping with us. The last time we took her camping she decided to sqat outside her tent because she didn't want to walk along the uneven path to the amenities block at night - and she slipped trying to get back up and broke her ankle. So I'm looking for a safer option. I don't want a bulky chemical toilet that will only be used on the rare occassion - I'm just after something simple she can use at night and we can empty and disenfect each morning and stow away during the day. I've seen the ones that are just a small toilet seat welded to a folding frame that have a plastic bag attached, but they don't look too stable for someone to actually sit on.

I've also seen the "Luggaloo" which looks like a fairly heavy duty bucket with a seat and lid attached. Has anyone got any experience with one of these? Or does anyone have any further suggestions?

Thanks!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Luggaloo

Postby ben... » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:38 am

i guess you could always try and rent a chemical loo so that you dont have it all the time. but probably the heavy duty bucket with a lid will be the best. maybe you could buy a cheaper folding camping chair cut a hole in it (maybe have it over stitched at a camping store) with a bucket and lid underneath ala camode.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 am

I've seen 'chairs' in camping stores, that are basically toilet seats. Think they had a disposable plastic bag hung under them but you could use a plastic bucket or whatever you want really.

Funny, when I saw the title before reading your post my response was going to be, 'just diggahole'

:lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 am

I ended up buying one of these as I think it will serve our purpose pretty well. Here's a photo of it - don't panic, it's clean and unused!

amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Pauly » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 am

Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 am

amanda wrote:I ended up buying one of these as I think it will serve our purpose pretty well. Here's a photo of it - don't panic, it's clean and unused!

Just make sure it is on flat level ground and quite stable Amanda.....else you might be in for some pretty funny sights and one very embarassed mum:-))
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:34 pm

I could empty number ones but i`d have to make them empty their own number twos. Would you use the chemicals to break it down Amanda? or is it just for night time use? .
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 pm

It's purely for night time use, so very much doubt there'll be any number two's happening fortunately.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:36 pm

Reading through old posts re toilets and stumbled across this one. Amanda, does the bucket fold up in some way?

I'm also trying to work out the best option, especially for night time use. I've seen the Oztent popup toilet/shower which looks like a good idea and maybe a porta-potty to go with it but am also conscious of taking up space in the CT... any opinons?

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 pm

When we had a hard-floor CT, the loo sat down on the bottom storey. Daytime it had something on it like a towel and at night that was removed, the paper came out and away we went, tinkling merrily.

With the soft-floor, there was space for it, too.

It travelled in the back of the Rodeo under the canopy. The current loo fits into the back of the Hyundai Accent and we're expecting that it will fit neatly inside the tent - an Oztrail tourtent - and be just as accessible for tinkling as its predecessor. It lives in its box, btw unless it's being used.

Elaine (chief tinkler)
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Dettie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 pm

:+ Thanks Chief Tinkler! I think I'll go with a Porta Potty... I can really see the value for night time tinkling use! Great idea about just covering it over with a towel too.

Do you use Biomagic or the chemicals from a camping supply store with yours?

I could tell you a really embarrassing story from a DIY trick I tested and failed with in my tent last year but I don't think I can bare reliving the humiliation all over again! :lol:

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:14 am

If you are going for a porta potti the BEST product to use in it is the GENERIC brand (either wollies or coles) nappy soaker. It contains a high amount of sodium percarbonate which breaks down the waste and can be disposed of in a septic tank.

Here are the instructions for your port potti toilet cassette treatment

Into ½ litre warm water mix 1 heaped cap of nappy soaker. Add to toilet cassette.

In warm weather or with heavy use add another cap to the cassette every second day or more if desired.

Product to use
Woolies generic Nappy Treatment
Coles generic Nappy Soaker

The woollies one can be purchased in a 3 kg container for about $8 making it the most cost effective.

The generic nappy soakers contain 34% sodium percarbonate where as the branded NS has a lot less. Sodium percarbonate is safe for use in septic tanks.

Do not use the branded Nappi San.

Oil the seals (rubber bits) of you toilet cassette with olive oil only and oil them regularly. Replacement seals are quite expensive.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 am

I have an embarassing story about he Lugaloo. Last time we were away, I got the loo out of the CT as usual and popped it under the table, and like Elaine threw a cover over it for the daytime. While setting up I couldn't find our solar ligtts anywhere. Usually they are packed in a plastic bucket and are sitting right up the back of the CT, but they weren't there. I figured I must have taken them out to change the batteries at home or something and had left them in the garage. During the night, there were a couple of trips to the lugaloo for tinkling, and first thing in the morning my friend and I headed up to the toilet block to do the emptying. First problem was that there wasn't a "dump spot" so we had to actually take the lugaloo into the toilet block itself. I was at the sink brushing my teeth and my friend went into a cubicle, lifted the lid off and went to pour the contents down the toilet when I hear her yell out "What on earth????" I moved towards the cubicle to see what the problem was when she burst into laughter and through fits of the giggles managed to get out "We've been peeing on the solar lights all night!!!!!" Yes, some bright spark had packed the bucket with the solar lights inside the lugaloo last time we packed up!!! As we clutched our tummies for the pain of laughing we heard an adjoining cubicle flush - we didn't think there was anybody else in the toilet block and were really embarassed to realise someone had heard this whole conversation! So with loo paper wrapped around our hands we had to fish out the four lights, drain them, wrap them in yet more loo paper and try to very discreetly dispose of them. For the rest of the camp, every now and then one of us would just burst into uncontrollable laughter just thinking about the now very soggy and unusable solar lights.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:38 am

I can just hear your laughter now Amanda....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dettie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 am

:*** You've got to love some good toilet humour... and that would've been hysterical, hearing the flush in the next cubicle!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Gear Guide