ABERCROMBIE CAVES CAMPGROUND

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

ABERCROMBIE CAVES CAMPGROUND

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:08 pm

We are taking the CT for an overnighter next weekend and are going to take the kids to the Abercrombie Caves

Has anyone stayed at the campground recently? Would appreciate any feedback on what it's like. Could only schedule in one night due to kids sports etc but anything is better than nothing. Can't wait!!! :armsup

xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: ABERCROMBIE CAVES CAMPGROUND

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Don't know about the venue but I am sure you will have a great camp either way XB
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks gypsy. Only an overnighter so don't need much but just interested in who's been there and what they thought.

Can't wait for that campfire and red wine, what a lovely combination they are :cheers

Will post a report and photos for all to see though. ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Look forward to it as always....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:40 pm

slightly off topic, but it's in the area, I stayed along the river in the Abecrombie National Park. You definitly need a 4wd with low range to get in and out of there, there are a couple of fun little river crossings that kept me entertained. The track is not reccomended for trailers, but it shouldn't pose a problem to smart drivers. It's not a hard track, just very steep, and may pose a problem when wet. Good spot for a weekend getaway.
Last edited by Dodgy_Dave on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Dettie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:41 pm

I hadn't heard of this spot before so did a google search and it looks beautiful! I've heard a lot of great reports over the years of fabulous spots all around that area, and having been to Jenolan Caves can vouch for the area.

Have a great time and look forward to hearing all about it!

Are you heading out this Friday?

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 pm

There are a few tracks throughout the park, I stayed at "silent creek" but I think "the beach" camping area is the best spot, I was stoked to see free fire wood at all sites.
If your heading towards Jenolan caves via wombeyan caves, definitly pop into the private town of Yerranderrie, Amazing place, definitly a living history lesson !!

Crossing the Abercrombie river

Go the zook :+

Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Dettie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Very talented Dave! ::) Dave, do you have any recommendations for quiet and away from it all (remote I suppose) camp sites in the area... but ones where I won't damage my pretty Volvo SUV by driving through rivers like you? ;)

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Abercrombie NP is suitable for soft roaders but with Low range 4wd.

The next easy to get to spot would be Goulburn River National Park, I have been meaning to spend a weekend out there, but for some reason I think I'd enjoy it more in Winter, sitting around a big crackling fire with a cup of coffee :)

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0060
Goulburn River National Park extends along approximately 90 kilometres of the Goulburn River as it winds between sandstone cliffs honeycombed with caves, providing unusually easy access to a variety of recreational opportunities. The wide, sandy riverbanks offer easy walking and spectacular camping sites.

You're likely to see wombats, eastern grey kangaroos, emus, and a wide variety of birds. The diversity of plant communities and the number of rare and threatened species highlights the value of this national park.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Oh and then there's a place near Wombeyan caves, River Island nature Retreat I think it's called. It's a nice quiet place, Great place to try something daring, Rekindle that romantic in you, or even if you want just want that all over body tan. CLOTHES ARE OPTIONAL !!! Yes it's a nudist camp ground.
http://www.riverisland.com.au/accommodation.htm
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Dettie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:46 pm

:*** Wow Dave... you know that Riverside Island actually looks really nice before my retinas burned out from all the nakedness! :*** I have always wondered about these clothing optional places... now that is the ultimate freedom! XmasBaby, you might not want to take the kids to that place. But then again! :lol:

Thanks for the links and recommendations! The Goulburn River spots are going on my to-see list.

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't think River Island would be a good spot to visit in winter :--?

Perhaps I'll ask management what they do during the colder months... :***
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

Dave I think you meant to say the River Island is not a spot blokes would like to visit in winter as us girls dont have to worry about shinkage!!!! :--?
May give this one a miss next weekend.
Dettie, we are only going for an overnighter and can't leave until Sat lunchtime because of the kids sport committments, Abercrombie Caves are only about 90mins from us. I just need to get back into my CT even if its only for one sleep!!! :?#

We have a Prado so she could handle the off road tracks with ease but were looking for a more quiet and relaxing night by the campfire with a glass or ten of red!!! :cheers so main aim is getting there around 2pm setting up and relaxing by the river.

We are going with our friends and their 4 kids so we are probably going to stay in the main campground that is also by the river and looks quiet pretty and it's nice and close to the caves for the ones that want to go for a look, as for me I & my girlfriend will probably do a bit of a bushwalk around the area with my 15yo daughter and any of the other kids who want to go into the caves as we don't like bats and the caves are full of them!!!! ::()

Picked this spot as it wasn't that far from home and had a little of something for all 11 of us to do, and it's somewhere we haven't been before. We are trying to do as many weekend or overnight trips as we can this year that are close to home as we have a bit to see around here. Another few we'd like to see this year are Nangar NP, Flat Rock Bathurst & Ophir reserve. All within 2 hours of home. :mrgreen:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:35 pm

XmasBaby, damn, your weekend plans sound so appealing to me! I'd be happy to tag along on another local camping trip (My 11yo soccer starts back up soon so the Saturday night thing suits me too) and Mick my hubby is the physio for the Waratah's, so can't always make it on weekend get aways. At the moment we live in Cherrybrook. Last night I was checking out Wombeyan Caves but not sure how far that is for you for an overnighter. Oberon sounds good and I also stumbled across this place last night;

http://www.yerranderie.com/welcome.htm

You're going to have a fun weekend by the sounds of things!

Dettie
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey Dettie you are more than welcome to rock on up and join us next weekend. :cheers

Wombeyan Caves looks great but for a weekend or overnighter it's a bit far as it's just over 4hrs for us and Yerranderie is 5hrs. We are trying to keep within the 2 hour mark if we can.

Oberon is snow country and is absolutely FREEZING in the winter and is in the middle of nowhere really. The town I have been to before when our son played footy there and I didn't find it very appealing at all, pretty country tho out on the Abercrombie River Ive heard but not on my to do list.

Late last year we went out to a mates place on the river about 20mins from town (Goolongong) for the night and it was great. Love bush camping and we are trying to go somewhere different each time and keep close to home. We are leaving the 17yo at home this time as he has golf committments on Sat & Sun and is also doing his HSC this year so don't want to be too far from home. We usually have breakkie on Sun morn and pack up and stop at some little pub we find on the way home for lunch if we are not too feral looking from the night before but a cap and sunnies can make anyone look halfway respectable. :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations