Fridges, Eskies, Coolers & Ice cream!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Scolers » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:42 pm

ALWAYS haggle Mummeee ... I get at least 20% of my camping gear just from 'umming' and 'ahhing'.

It's a game they expect you to play.

Good one Oz .. what size is it?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:31 pm

You can't believe I haggled ::() I can't believe you DON'T :armsup .

And haggle is such a strong word really, all I did is say "will you take $300..." and he flat out said yes :shock: .... I was expecting 'oooh, maybe not that much mate blah blah'.... (in which case I had a backup plan of buying both of em and using this as leverage, cause I knew me mate wanted one :mrgreen:). So cause I bought both he threw in those transformers too.

Oh and the only thing he 'asked' of me was to join their members club, which means they send me an email every so often, but I get a card that gives me 15% off everything I buy there 8) .

Scolers, its a 25L, can stand up 2L bottles and i guestimate you could prolly squeeze 6 of them in there. But i want it for cans and steaks, of which I reckon I can fit plenty :armsup .

Mummee, it's a coleman outlet so they sell mostly coleman branded stuff but I think I noticed a few other brands in there, not sure though. They have everything camping related, tents, swags, tarps, lanters, cooking stuff the works. Just no more fridge/freezers :lol: They have esky's and those thermo-electric hoopty doo's.

They wanted me to go back and let em know how it works out so I will and if all goes good i'll try and convince them to import em. If they keep the price remotely close to what I payed i'm sure they'd sell pretty well.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:40 pm

And now for a techy question ... how many degrees below ambient? Sorry ... the page didnt download properly ... :(

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Scolers wrote:And now for a techy question ... how many degrees below ambient? Sorry ... the page didnt download properly ... :(

Scol.
page doesn't say, just says "Keep items frozen in temperatures over 100°F outside" :? But I have a bottle of water in there now, and it hurts to drink it :mrgreen:. Its chilly. And i can see a thin layer of ice on the walls of the fridge. I will get a cheap thermometer if i remember in the comming days and find out. The guy in the store said -20 easy but that was just his opinion having tried it, not based on any proven 'facts'. To be honest I will be happy with -5 to -10, I dont expect it to 'freeze' things, just keept them frozen.
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:52 pm

Just found the manual :armsup http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/5726-750.pdf

Says freezer 2 (lowest setting) brings it down to -18 deg max. Not bad, so say on a really hot stinker of a day it should be about -5 at worst, I can live with that :mrgreen:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:20 pm

Yeah haggle can sound rather harsh but I mean't more like 'negotiate' !

And don't get me wrong I can um well negotiate! I just mean't I can't believe it was such a good price and still you got a better price, well done!
:?#
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:39 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Just found the manual :armsup http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/5726-750.pdf

Says freezer 2 (lowest setting) brings it down to -18 deg max. Not bad, so say on a really hot stinker of a day it should be about -5 at worst, I can live with that :mrgreen:

Not really OZ ... it all depends on how far below ambient it goes. If it's 35 degrees outside and your freezer is -5 then your fridge will go down to 40 degrees ambient (which is pretty good). Being a 12/240v should be ok ... it's the gas ones you need to stay away from ... I was looking at a chescold but am so glad I didn't buy!

Let us now how it goes in the heat ... at that price it would be handy to have as a second fridge.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:47 am

Scolers wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:Just found the manual :armsup http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/5726-750.pdf

Not really OZ ... it all depends on how far below ambient it goes. If it's 35 degrees outside and your freezer is -5 then your fridge will go down to 40 degrees ambient (which is pretty good). Being a 12/240v should be ok ... it's the gas ones you need to stay away from ... I was looking at a chescold but am so glad I didn't buy!

Let us now how it goes in the heat ... at that price it would be handy to have as a second fridge.

Good luck!

Scol.

Well the book don't say how far below ambient, but in the specs page, it says it goes to -18 deg when the ambient temp is 30 deg and the cooler is empty. I had it on all day yesterday 4x4ing, and it didn't 'freeze' the water but it made it damn cold, so I think if i put frozen stuff in there it should keep them frozen, but it'll struggle to freeze things that are already warm. Took about 5-6 hrs to freeze a small bottle of water on saturday, but that was at about 25deg ambient.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby kirsa » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:01 am

Wow Ozzy, what a deal. Glad to see that mans hunter instinct is alive and well. feels good when you get such a great deal huh! Bet the beer tastes better out of that fridge.

Would be interested to see how it goes.

Mummee, I get a little uncomfortable asking for discounts, dont know why but it just makes me squirm. So I pick out what I want, tell hubby and he does the deal while I walk away. He always does me proud, but somehow I just cant stand the haggling. In another life hubby was a car salesman so he reckons haggling is part of life.

Cheers
smile ... it makes people wonder what you are up to :-)
kirsa
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:

Well the book don't say how far below ambient, but in the specs page, it says it goes to -18 deg when the ambient temp is 30 deg and the cooler is empty.

That's pretty good ... ya got me interested now ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby imanoone2u » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:49 pm

does anyone have any experience with running a Waeco fridge/freezer of a solar panel?
I currently have a 28W solarpanel charging a 75Ah deepcycle Battery, with a 1400W inverter, and am wondering if i'd have any trouble with it.

Thanks
imanoone2u
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:21 pm

So long as it charges the battery fully, or close to it, there shouldn't be any drama's, as the Fridge is getting its power from the battery, not the panels. You just need to monitor the batteries level somehow so you don't accidentally run it dry. You will most likely not need to use the Inverter either, most (or even all??) of them fridges run off 12v.

On another note could you show us your solar setup? I know there's a few here that'd be very interested to see it (myself included). How long does it take to charge the 75ah battery? Was it hard to set up? Expensive??

And on yet another note my cheap fridge is still kicking along nicely, chilling beers and keeping my lunch cool 8)
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby imanoone2u » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:On another note could you show us your solar setup? I know there's a few here that'd be very interested to see it (myself included). How long does it take to charge the 75ah battery? Was it hard to set up? Expensive??

And on yet another note my cheap fridge is still kicking along nicely, chilling beers and keeping my lunch cool 8)

I haven't got any pictures yet... however the setup was easy but not really all that cheap.
28 watt solar panel came from E-bay $150.00 (briefcase type) and comes with all sorts of cables and. the Battery was from Autopro a 75Ah deepcycle marine battery $165.00 incl waterproof case with external connectors and tester. and inverter 1400W was $180.00 on E-bay I use the inverter to run reading lights aswell as a $199.00 2way esky I bought from Aldi, and am desperate to replace.
it works well, however the aldi esky drains batteries very fast and only coold 15 below ambiance...:(
I like the cheap fridge idea but don't like lugging it on and off the CT and I don't often camp at powered sites....
imanoone2u
Boy Scout

Postby CCC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:01 pm

ice box = esky ? :oops:

or are there different names for the plastic ones to the metal ones ?

can hear it now ...... :--?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:34 pm

new campers nsw wrote:ice box = esky ? :oops:

or are there different names for the plastic ones to the metal ones ?

can hear it now ...... :--?

Ice boxes are just better more efficient and expensive versions of eskies. They are designed to keep ice frozen for a number of days, whereas in a Esky ice will usually melt after one day.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations