Sleeping in tent - newb advice needed

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Sleeping in tent - newb advice needed

Postby twilight » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Many years ago I was advised to always buy a sleeping bag 5 degrees warmer than what you expect the weather to be. I used to always bring my feather/down doona as at the time I couldn't afford such a sleeping bag (and I was always comfortable). I now have a -5 degree bag and my daughter and I froze in the middle of summer at Wombeyin Caves. We slept on an airbed with no insulation under it. I am now going to get the self-inflating mattress or the foam bed that folds up into squares (just check the fine print and if it has insulation included).

I also read that women need warmer sleeping bags as their body temperatures drop further than men when they are sleeping.
twilight

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Seems odd that the -5 one performed that badly.

My Roman -7 bag kept me warm in the snow :shock: If you have an old blanket double it up and throw that down underneath the sleeping bag. Will help keep the cold out and give you more cushioning.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm

I use a picnic rug under the mattress and a comfy blanket on top. In summer I left the top blanket off, and woke up at 3am shivering.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 am

Im with Gypsy on this one. Self inflating are the way to go, I don't know how many times that damn air mattress went down on us, used to drive me nuts. I had a cheapo one to start with and then a more expensive one but both went down, also the kids used to go down all the time!!!!! :-bang So I wish I had just forked out the money for self-inflating instead of wasting so much money on replacing the other air mattresses!! Also I used to put a yoga matt underneath my mattress for extra warmth in winter.

We have a -5 Roman sleeping bag that unzips into a doona also and in the colder months I use it in the CT with my feather doona on top (yes Im a real frog in winter!!).

Hope this helps. :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm another fan of the self-inflating mattress. I didn't want to spend the $$ at first but if you're going to become more regular campers, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. I find the 3/4 length a good fit (although we are all shorties) - you want to keep your back warm at the very least in the cooler months.

For tent setup, I have a couple of king single camp stretcher ($80 from Rays) with a 3/4 length self inflator (another $80) and then slip a single fitted sheet over the top. Works a charm and in all, doesn't take up too much space.

My opinion with new to camping is that the most important things to get right is a) your food setup (simple but effective) and equally importantly is getting the bedding right.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 pm

For the past 2-3 years, I've had a Queen size inflatable mattress that I bought for only $20, Only now, due to improper / rushed packing away it has a small hole which is easily fixed with a bike tube patch. Bubble gum held it up for the night.. Dodgy but good :)
BTW my tent cost me $5 BRAND NEW !!
During a storm a mate with a $110 oztrail tent had to retreat to the car while I was yelling out BRING IT ON MOTHER NATURE !!!
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby itchyvet » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:48 pm

A rubber backed picnic blanket under your self inflating mattress is the way to go.
The self inflating mattress should be the thickest you can afford.
Sleeping gear ? Again, get the warmest featherdown sleeping bag you can afford,if it gets too hot, you can always open it or use it as a doona.
Now the tricky bit, ditch your pj's, No, I don't mean you to sleep in the nuddy, (good idea at times though ) get yourself a pair of good lambswool thermals, use them as your night attire, you'll never be cold again.
I've found the best thing to do incold weather for a nice warm night, is ALL the above and before you don your super dooper thermals, have a nice hot shower, top it off with a nice filling meal, coupla red wines and crawl into the sack. First class every time.

HMMMMMM, what was that reference to 'hot shower' you may ask ? Yep, always take a shower system with us. There are many devious ways of concocting hot water for a shower, no matter which one you choose, it'll be well worth the effort at the end of the day, and IMHO, winter is the BEST time for camping. :***
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Dodgy_Dave wrote:For the past 2-3 years, I've had a Queen size inflatable mattress that I bought for only $20, Only now, due to improper / rushed packing away it has a small hole which is easily fixed with a bike tube patch. Bubble gum held it up for the night.. Dodgy but good :)
BTW my tent cost me $5 BRAND NEW !!
During a storm a mate with a $110 oztrail tent had to retreat to the car while I was yelling out BRING IT ON MOTHER NATURE !!!

:***

True to your name :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Gear Guide