ABERCROMBIE CAVES CAMPGROUND

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Re: ABERCROMBIE CAVES CAMPGROUND

Postby Dettie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:08 pm

OK, well let's organise something, or I can just tag along wherever you're heading with your friends. Just looking at my diary, we have something on every Saturday night until Easter (bugger!) and then I'm taking the 11yo for a 2 week camp trip over Easter, so we can just play it by ear and I'll tag along on a trip after Easter.

My 18yo did his HSC last year (he just started Physio at Newcastle Uni) which is why I started the longer camping trips in the first place... so that he could study alone in our 3 bedroom house without disturbance from the 11yo during the school hols - and now of course I am totally and utterly hooked and have a new CT to prove it! :armsup

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:16 pm

When I was there, I had the whole NP to myself. The river isn't flowing like it use to but there are still some waterholes to jump in for a dip.

How about Burrinjuck or Wee Jasper?
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Serenity Now » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi XB...

i realise that this isnt Abercrombie Caves.

We are camping this w/e at Upper Colo Reserve.

It is out the back of Windsor/Wilberforce
State Forest so we can take our dog.
Camp fires are no prob.
Limited numbers,flushing toilet,oh so a bonus :***
A great spot on the river,very shallow,awesome for kids.
We camp here a lot because it is central to us and our friends but really is a great location.
Out of town enough so as you you only get the occasional riff-raff....
Fairly close to you.
Just a thought.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Dettie you are more than welcome to tag along anytime, this will be our last overnighter for a couple of months as our son has a lot of golf committments over the next few months as in Aug this year he is going to try to gain entry into the PGA to do a 3yr traineeship to become a Club Pro. :armsup So that will keep us quite busy.

The girls and I are escaping to my sister's for Easter as the boys will be golfing all weekend.

Upper Colo is about 4 hours from us so a little too far for an overnighter and we did a day trip the other weekend to check out Wee Jasper and Burrenjuck but it is also around 3 hours and some of the "Tourist Parks" at Burrenjuck are like shanty towns, didnt get to go to the State Park at Burrenjuck but it is suppose to be quite nice. Wee Jasper was quite pretty but again Abercrombie Caves is closer for this time.

Went out to Wyangala Dam last Sunday and put the boat in for a skii but the water is quite low. The State Park we have stayed at before and they have just done up the amenities block so it's looking quite good now, a bit of green makes a big difference and I would recommend the State Park to anyone as we enjoy it regularly, even if its only for the day as it's only 40mins from us. A mate has just bought a property with river frontage out that way so we are looking forward to checking it out for a weekend. It's raining here today so hopefully it's raining over the dam and all the catchment areas as well ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Apparently it's been raining a fair bit out cowra way this week, which is good news for the dam.. Bad news for those that were entering in the tractor pull competition.

I love Wyangala because of the history I have with that place but I can vouch that Burrinjuck state park is worth the visit, Especially for us boat owners. You can also arrange to go SCUBA diving in the under ground caves on the appropriately named Cave Island. Beautiful view coming down the mountain too. Free firewood, well stocked Kiosk, decent ammenaties with 20c showers, Lots of wild life, beginner camper, kid and 2WD friendly. It's my 2nd faviroute dam.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Serenity Now » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 am

Serenity Now wrote:Upper Colo is about 4 hours from us so a little too far for an overnighter

Sorry XB for some reason i thought you were central coast.
Great photos of your CT.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:11 am

Dave we have had over 2 inches this weekend and its still raining here on & off so it's great. :?#

Thanks SN we love our CT & cant wait to get back out there....yep we are in the sticks and love it. :armsup

Dont think I could cope with being on the Central Coast, it's just like an extension of Sydney now :cry: great for a couple of days to catch up with rellies or a girly weekend but that is all I can handle. :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Have got all my photos sorted FINALLY!!!!!

The campgrounds and caves were fantastic.

We started out from Cowra to Mandurama

First stop was the Neville pub. Great pub well worth a visit.

Stopped at Trunkey Creek pub for a look too :lol:

The road into the caves was windy but the view was gorgeous
The campgrounds were beautiful. Our campsite was up above from the other campsites that were down by the creek. The campsites down by the creek were pretty full and the one we chose had no-one. We had a great big hill behind us which the kids loved.
The kids loved walking down the the little creek and exploring.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Also the kids loved the swinging bridge

Checking out the stars by the campfire :cheers

The it was off up to the Caves for a look!!
The trail up!!

Entrance to the caves

Inside the caves

We had a great time and wished we could have stayed for more than one night. We came home the long way via Bigga and Reids Flat and crossed three rivers on the way home. The Abercrombie, Lachlan and Boorowa Rivers. It was beautiful countryside so close to home (2hrs) and nice and green at the time. We were on dirt most of the way home too so it gave the seals in the new CT a test which it passed with flying colours.
Post photos in next part.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Boorowa River

Lachlan River
Tuena pub
Views from Tuena thru Bigga to Reids Flat

We had an absolute ball here and would love to go back for another visit next year for more than one night. Would recommend this spot to anyone, we didn't see the kids at all except for feeding time. ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Awesome XB,

Thats a lotta pubs for an overnighter :***

Great report.

Could you camp down by the creek with your CT.
cheers
SN
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Yes it was a lot of pubs SN but we love calling in at those little pubs for a look.

The one at Neville was fantastic, really good tidy little pub with what looked like a great dining room and great very cold beers. The one at Trunkey Creek was nice also. Alot of history there and great photos on the wall of back when it was a very busy gold rush area.

You could camp down by the creek in two separate campsites and another amenities block but they weren't very level at all.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Great pix XB.......LOVE the caves too.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 am

My first time in any cave whatsoever and loooved it.

Sorry the post was a little long winded but I thought of how everyone here loves to see pics so I posted as many as I could. Great spot. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 am

No need for an apology XB....We'd all complain if you didn't post them.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations