Engel battpaks

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Engel battpaks

Postby Mandrake » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Dettie .

Have a look here - http://www.laptopplus.com.au/index.php?t=laptop&s=bmp&brand=1&model=2021#bmp

I am sure one of them will work fine ..

If you do end up going down the Solar path just give me a holler and I'll
help you work out what will suit your system..

Cheers

Steve
For all your Solar Power needs

Mandrake's Solar Power
http://www.solarsteve1950.com
Mandrake
Camping King

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Dettie wrote:I have an MacBook which is a bit tricky because Apple hasn't manufactured a 12v charger which is crazy, and I'm a bit weary of using a non-compliant charger.

You've lost me Dettie. I'm a Mac person myself, and have owned several Mac laptops and currently own a PowerBook. Now, all these laptops only ever came with a 240v transformer power cord. Works as a charger for the installed battery but only works with 240v which is not what you need, if I read your posts correctly.

As I remember from other people talking about using their laptops while travelling, they have solar or gennies and sine-wave inverters for running their laptops. This gets back to what Mandrake said about converting and re-converting so if I understand this right, that's what other people have done. Not to say it's the best or only way but it seems like a common track.

Interested to see how this all pans out!

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Elaine, yes, you read that the right way. Currently I'm using an inverter which I plug the 240v lead into but would prefer to have a 12v lead that I can plug directly into the $79 battery (jump starter kit) so it's more efficient at charging the laptop battery.

Mandrake, I think I will give you that call! Thinking a deep cycle battery and a solar panel...

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Mandrake » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Dettie ,

Before you call - on my website http://www.solarsteve1950.com on the home page there is a solar power calculator to download free - It will help calculate your system and useage ...
Just check your power adapter for the laptop it will have an output current rating as will all the other electrical items you want to power .. Just transfer these and the estimated hours you will use them on a daily basis - Put in a battery size ( ie 58aH or whatever) then see how many days you can stay without 240v mains power - At the bottom you can also add in Solar Panels and again it will show you how long you can stay without mains .. both sunny and cloudy days are shown -- This is obviously not foolproof as the variables are many but it can be a very good guide to budgeting and your use -
You may find for example that the battery might last 3 days under your normal useage and that might be enough for your style of camping ...
Try it out and if you get into difficulties send me the spreadsheet by email and I'll explain it for you ..
steve@solarsteve1950.com

Cheers

Steve

Mandrake's Solar Power
Mandrake
Camping King

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey Steve, actually I have just loaded your spreadsheet (brilliant!) I think I need 18 amp hours per day. I think the most number of days we're likely to be away in a remote location would be 10 days, before driving onto another place (where we could efffectively charge a battery while driving the car.

I noticed you have a $550 special on your home page... do you think this could be a suitable option, and obviously buy a proper battery for charging?

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Mandrake » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Dettie ,

If you are only going to use 18 aH per day then the Kit will work - it is capable of between 20 aH and 30 aH per day ( Winter / Summer figures ) and complimented with a 100aH AGM battery you would have roughly 3 days of use in a full battery if the sun don't shine !! Just remember that night time use is the killer of batteries with a solar system !! You must have enough juice at sundown to get you through to sunrise .With a 100 aH - you would have no problems ..

That "special " is actually not so special anymore its a wee bit lower now !!

Cheers

Steve

Mandrake's Solar Power
Mandrake
Camping King

Postby capella_ben » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm not sure a jump start battery would be the best way to go. Aren't those things more like car batteries (high CCA, don't like to be discarged). A deep cycle is the way to go and if you can afford it an AGM is the best.

All I did was get a 100Ah AGM and a cheap battery box. I then put a few andreson connectors and fuses on it. I got a battery monitor kit from jaycar, soldered it up and mounted it in the battery pack. Now I can charge it through the dual battery system in the car (cheap and reliable redarc job) and take it out of the ute for use in the campsite. Pretty easy to put together and 100Ah goes a long way.

The next thing would be to get a solor panel or two...

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Postby Mandrake » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm

"The next thing would be to get a solor panel or two..."

I can help you out with that bit !!

Cheers

Steve

Mandrake's Solar Power