Camping Queensland - many choices, little time!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping Queensland - many choices, little time!

Postby PeterPeregrinates » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Hey I'm planning on taking ten days to travel to Brisbane fron Cairns. Instead of just picking a random city and staying in a hostel, I would rather camp. There are a plethora of choices.

My question is simply this: which are the best sites along the way? If I were to camp in say, four places up to Brisbane, which should I choose?

Things to consider are that I am traveling with my girlfriend and that we have little funds, so ease of access to sites is also important.

Please reply asap, as I am already in Cairns!
PeterPeregrinates

Re: Camping Queensland - many choices, little time!

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Oh boy... I am *green* with envy! It sounds perfect. There are a lot of Queenslanders on the forum but I am not one of them, so they might have some suggestions. Have a blast!

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 am

Hi Peter and WELCOME to the forum.

My recommendation to you would be to purchase the Camps Australia Wide 5 book.....it has many free and low cost camps. If you belong to an auto club then you can purchase it from them at a discounted cost.

This publication is considered the 'bible' amongst all types of travellers and is a valuable addition to anyone's camping gear.

There is also this site to have a look at http://ozcamps.net/

You can also visit your local Tourist Information Centre....they have quite a good range of info for the traveller.....

Have a great trip.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby PeterPeregrinates » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 am

Hey many thanks for the tips -
gypsylady wrote:Hi Peter and WELCOME to the forum.

My recommendation to you would be to purchase the Camps Australia Wide 5 book.....it has many free and low cost camps. If you belong to an auto club then you can purchase it from them at a discounted cost.

This publication is considered the 'bible' amongst all types of travellers and is a valuable addition to anyone's camping gear.

There is also this site to have a look at http://ozcamps.net/

You can also visit your local Tourist Information Centre....they have quite a good range of info for the traveller.....

Have a great trip.
- I'll spend a few hours rummaging now.

Cheers.
PeterPeregrinates

Postby 4OFUS » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 pm

You could try Cape Hillsborough on the Whitsundays. Can get crowded but lots of nice walks to do, kangaroos on the beach at dusk etc.
Also, 1770 is great. I cant remeber the name of where we stayed, but very pretty.
Another great place is Finch Hatton and that area up the back of Mackay. Lots of cheap NP camping and a lovely area.
Lots more places too in NParks, but get the Camp book its fantastic
4OFUS
Boy Scout

Postby Breidi Mac » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 pm

We are planning to do a trip from the lockyer valley to Airlie Beach and back as soon as we can get the time off.
We are going coastal on the way there and inland on the way home, 1st stop is Pialba caravan park near Harvey bay $32 a night, then on to 1770 ( www.1770campgrounds.com.au ) $28 per site then to Airlie beach where we will be staying for about 4 nights in a big 4 caravan park. Then we will go to The caves Campground north of rockhampton $35 per day, onto a overnighter somewhere around biggenden (going to wing it with our Camps 5 book) and home.

We aren't exactly going on a budget so this may not be helpful to you but as Gypsy said get the Camps 5 book, it is great for road trips.
Breidi Mac
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Breidi Mac wrote: onto a overnighter somewhere around biggenden (going to wing it with our Camps 5 book) and home.

Breidi, I have heard some really positive comments on the CP in Biggenden and it is very reasonably priced too.

Link: http://biggenden.northburnett.qld.gov.a ... rkKL.shtml

#448 in the CAW4 book.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Breidi Mac » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Cheers Gypsy :cheers
Breidi Mac
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations