Features on Campervans

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Features on Campervans

Postby kirsa » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:54 am

Hi

Hubby is toying with the idea of buying a basic camper and adding to it himself - he needs a project to consume him - keep him outa mischief!

We are going to hire a few models over the next few months to get a really good idea of what we like and want in a camper. One thing we have found is that over here in the west, there are not as many camper manufacturers - we may have to look over east for the perfect set-up.

We have recently been away for 9 days up north in a Albany camper, and although its nice and basic, it lacks any outside storage, but this is something I guess can be added easily.

Would appreciate any comments on what others have found are good/useful/handy or otherwise on their camper trailers.

Any thoughts on the closure of the cover? Zip/Velco/hooks? what have others found keep the most dust out?

Also, the dust problem inside the camper when you set up and the trailer is covered in dust from the trip. Is it best to do a quick brush down of the sides before set-up or are there covers that can go over the dusty trailer?

Am I too fussy? :shock:
smile ... it makes people wonder what you are up to :-)
kirsa
Boy Scout

Re: Features on Campervans

Postby Scolers » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:40 am

kirsa wrote:Hi

One thing we have found is that over here in the west, there are not as many camper manufacturers - we may have to look over east for the perfect set-up.

Am I too fussy? :shock:

You havn't been looking!!!

There are many, many, many camper manufacturers here in Perth.

You could start with "Downunder Campers" at Forrestfield Ph. 9359-0088 He makes a very good basic unit but very hardy.

Maybe Outback Campers 9409-7433

Westcaost Campers 9244-1068

Performance campers9493 3733

Swagman 9459-8367

Camper Trailer Warehouse 9317-4900

Camprite 9409-3905

These are just a handful of the campers that are made here in W.A. I've found all of the people are very apporachable (alot are husband and wife operated). Some of these camper businesses are so successsful that they just don't have the time to buld extra campers to ship over east. Two very successful campers (Ultimate and blast ... can't think of the name) originated here in W.A.

Also, soft floor or hard floor? Kitchen or not? Offroad camper? You need to begin to narrow down the type of camper you want so you can select those that manufacture what you are looking for.

You really need to get out and look to see what is available and THEN ask about pro's and cons.

You're lucky you are asking now as there is a 4wd and Camping show in the 3rd weekend in Novembers and there will be a huge display of all the campers you can get in Perth. It's at McCallum Park (Near Burswood). I'll let you know a bit more when I find out myself.

Also, we did what your hubby wants to do ie. get a trailer and add to it. We hvae about 50 ppl going to Cervantes this weekend and will be taking Camper Trailers. There's still room if you're interested (cost is cost of site and your own travel). PM me if you feel like going.

And "No" you're not being too fussy ... but you WILL be spoilt for choice.

:armsup :armsup :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby kirsa » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks for the great info Scolers, again!

You are right, we have obviosuly only just begun our search. Have seen a few manufacturers here in Perth, but didn't know there were so many. (Have asked other half to come check out this site so he can get all the info). We are also planning to go to the 4WD show in Nov.

I think we have a fairly basic idea of what we like, so now its just a matter of finding the right base.

Would love to make it the Cervanties camp this weekend, but have already planned a trip to Guilderton on the weekend of 18/19 Nov.

Will look forward to the next camping event and be there for sure.

Cheers
smile ... it makes people wonder what you are up to :-)
kirsa
Boy Scout

Postby tony54418 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Kirsa

First thing you really need to decide on is whether you want a hard floor or a soft floor. Both have pro's and con's. Hardfloor is easy to throw over for a one nighter but they are limited in space for kids ( U would need an annex in most) softfloor the opposite is applicable.

offroad or onroad. the offroads I believe are better with a treg style hitch as you have flexibility. I would hate to see the perfect campsite and not be able to get in there!

Plenty of good manufacturers here in Western Australia. I would suggest trawling the manufacturers, find what you like then look second hand (or go the whole hog !). Remember to look at storage. the hardtop/hardfloors can give you a lot less storage than the traditional softfloor trailer styles. Good luck ! We are on our third trailer and still trying to find the perfect one ... however I think the Wandering Star Bushmaster could be it ... made in WA !!!
tony54418

Postby Scolers » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:23 am

Added in error ...

::()

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Camper Trailers