problems with mozzies!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

problems with mozzies!

Postby ensemble123 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:13 pm

for some reason, everytime when i go camping, no matter cold or hot, the mozzies just doesn't seem to leave me. will it be a certain type of soap or material that i'm using because i will always wake up with at least 4 - 5 mozzie bites on me, it can get pretty annoying!! I have tried insect repellant but it doesnt seem to work, any good advices??
ensemble123

Postby angiebee » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:41 am

people we know at straddie swear by vitamin B tablets taking these regular i keeps sandflys and mossies away . We were eaten alive and they never got bitten once ,That's when we asked how come they're not biting you?
angiebee

Insect repellent

Postby gqpatrol » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:45 am

Try Bushman's or tropical strength. The weak stuff doesn't work very well for me either. Gotta have the hard core repellent. Sandflies annoy me worse than mossies. :x
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby tony54418 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:02 am

agree with angiebee. It's widely considered that mozzies are attracted to people who suffer from a lack of vitamin B. U need a few weeks on vitamins before you go away to have an effect

good luck
tony54418

Postby amanda » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:35 am

The mozzies love me too. I ended up with Ross River Fever as a result. The Doctor also advised dosing up on Vitamin B prior to being in mozzie prone areas, using tropical strength repellant and wearing long sleeves and long pants, which is a bit difficult to do in such a warm climate.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:37 am

they don't bite me at all :) however, the Mrs and kids get eaten alive
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Kramer » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:59 am

Living in Gladstone there can be bad mozzies. A lot of people who come over to my house they are bad but I don;t feel them at all :? Maybe it has to do with eating lots of vegemite? or beer? :armsup must be the beer, So when camping drink lots of beer.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby amanda » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:04 pm

Maybe beer is the answer Kramer - wine doesn't seem to work!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Scolers » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:22 pm

It's odd ... if I don't drink beer I get bitten ... if I drink beer I don;t.

HEY! I now have a medical reason to drink beer ... :beer ... WOO HOO!!!

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:28 pm

I have heard another remedy is to rub baby oil into your skin the night before. If that dosen't work for you add some dettol to the oil and its supposed to work well.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby perthbloke » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:55 pm

Sunscreen with repellent works best for me. Mozzies love my blood and when I go camping I really need to bathe in the stuff. (unpleasant but very effective !) Even kept ticks off last time whilst everyone copped 1-4 each :)
Beer theory sounds interesting. Although obviously doesn't work for me as I guzzle the stuff by the truckload and still get mauled every single time. Might try the vitamin b uptake. Thank's for the advice guys.
perthbloke

Postby 4800Patrol » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:58 am

I find the only thing that works for me against all the bities, is the old style Aeroguard,. The one that comes in the spray and has the strong scent.
4800Patrol
Boy Scout

best mozzie solution

Postby peewee » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:30 pm

OK! Forget all the repellants and other remedies. I have the solution!! I am allergic to mozzie bites and this has been my life saver! It is fail safe! A product called MoziFree by NatureGuard. It is a liquid vitamin B. You have half a teaspoon and within 10 mins the mozzies won't touch you for 24 hours! It tastes like crap but I find a beer chaser always does the trick. (and adds that extra little bit of Vitamin B for good measure!) You can find them at http://www.mozifree.com Good luck! :grin:
peewee

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:58 pm

angiebee wrote:people we know at straddie swear by vitamin B tablets taking these regular i keeps sandflys and mossies away . We were eaten alive and they never got bitten once ,That's when we asked how come they're not biting you?

tony54418 wrote:agree with angiebee. It's widely considered that mozzies are attracted to people who suffer from a lack of vitamin B. U need a few weeks on vitamins before you go away to have an effect

good luck

peewee wrote:OK! Forget all the repellants and other remedies. I have the solution!! I am allergic to mozzie bites and this has been my life saver! It is fail safe! A product called MoziFree by NatureGuard. It is a liquid vitamin B. You have half a teaspoon and within 10 mins the mozzies won't touch you for 24 hours! It tastes like crap but I find a beer chaser always does the trick. (and adds that extra little bit of Vitamin B for good measure!) You can find them at http://www.mozifree.com Good luck! :grin:

They both should work the same shouldn't they?? :?

I'd order some to try but they dont seem to be working at the moment - http://www.mozifree.com/catalog/ :(

I usually cop it pretty bad, but with mozzies areoguard has generally 'helped'.... flies drive me nuts though and they seem to love the aeroguard :x
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Return to Camping Tips and Locations