Stprage of camping gear at home

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Stprage of camping gear at home

Postby slug » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 pm

With the prospect of a new garage on the horizon, im doing a bit of research on the options for storage of camping gear and the like.

I like the idea of industrial type shelving that is deep and floor to ceiling. Id like to be able to put a swag on a shelf and it not be half hanging out. But i also like the idea of some big cupboards so i could keep a bit of dust and insects out etc. A bit of both might be the go but i just thought id see what others have first. I have a blank canvas to work with........
slug
Captain Camping

Re: Stprage of camping gear at home

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:47 pm

I have shelving slug and yes some cupboard space would also be nice.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Young Camping Family » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 pm

Ours is stored in a 5 shelf unit that we put together as 2 workbenches instead - that way we don't have anything stored up high (considering most of it weighs a fair bit) and we only have one car in a double garage so it goes along the side wall nicely. The dust seems to be the major issue - but most things are in bags or tubs so a quick wipe over as they are packed isn't that hard.
Young Camping Family
Camping Veteran

Postby MDC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Shelves would be great, but definitely consider a cupboard or two for the smaller items. We just keep all of our gear either in the trailer or piled up in a corner!

Before we bought the trailer I was toying with the idea of either buying storage bins or bags for everything so that it wouldn't take long to grab and pack.
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:41 pm

The smaller stuff i have packed in those plastic tubs with lids.one for the kitchen gear,1 for lighting gear,one for stuff like fire starters,mozzie coils citronella newspaper,gas light ,smelly stuff etc ..1 for my clothes and one with winter coats blankets socks beanies etc. packed clean and ready to go for next time. the table, tent ,tarps etc just all get packed in the corner.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dettie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:46 pm

We're in the same boat. Building a new house (pre-council phase at the moment) and trying to think up all our needs for the garage. I'm hoping to permanently store all our stuff in the CT and store the CT around the side of the house so we can have use of 2 car garage.

In my current garage, we had about 3 solid shelves drilled into the brickwork but they never seem to be deep enough. I think the plastic storage containers as per Poodle Jewel works well for us too.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:27 pm

You can never have enough storage space. Its another law of physics that the amount of stuff you collect grows with the storage space available :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:56 am

between my beer brewing (and serving) equipment, camping equipment, the lawn mower, whipper snipper, car audio product, 4wd gear and some tools I cant even get a small hatch in my double garage!

Storage is a PITA. I have one of those 5 shelf "hammer lock" storage shelf systems full of camping gear plus my fridge on the ground in front of it. Foam matteress is under the spare bed in the house sleeping bags are in the top of the wardrobe in the spare room. Esky is kept on top of the fridge. all my camping gear takes up about a 1500 x 1200 floor area in my shed.

I'm looking at buying or building a trailer at the moment purely to store all my camping gear in. This will hopefully allow us to head off sooner as well as storing all our camping gear and freeing up some room in the shed (I thankfully have the availability of storing a trailer at dads factory/my work).

Its got to the point that even if I dont go ahead with the trailer I am seriously concidering being ripped off every month for a storage unit. Damn hobbies take up so much space!
Admittedly I do have a lot of "double ups" of gear I've accumulated over the years (you'd think I was 55 not 25 with the crap I've collected!) It never used to be much of a problem as mum and dad had a 25ft x 65ft shed at their old place which I used to be able to store a lot of my gear in. But since the down sized they dont have the storage space they used to have.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:17 pm

We only have a single garage with workroom. But the garage part is full of drum kit, keyboard, electric guitar and amp and water skiing gear so YES hobbies do take up heaps of room in our place too.

In the workshop part hubby has built some custom made shelves with 92mm stud & track with thick plyboard screwed to the frame work so we made them quite deep (swag & esky width) and we fit all our camping stuff on there in tubs & storage drawers on the open shelves but hubby is looking to put doors on part to keep dust out.

The majority of our stuff is kept in our CT so not a huge amount kept in the shed, just eskies, bigger tables, fishing gear & swags etc.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:25 pm

We were pretty lucky when we bought our current house. At the back of the block we have the original house which has been converted into a shed! Most of the internal walls have been removed but the loo is still there, as is power and cold running water. It would be good for 3 cars if there wasn't a workshop in it, and at the back of the shed is a little 'room' that is the camping and christmas decoration room.

There is a shelf at waist height all the way around and an old wardrobe. The wardrobe looks after sleeping bags, camp chairs, tents and poles. The little gear goes into plastic lidded tubs and onto the bench or on top of the wardrobe. The big blow mould table, under the bench.

The door on the room is shut when I'm woodworking yet wood shavings, sawdust and the like still finds it way in there :--?

What I can do is reverse the 4WD to the rolla door and then load up the gear in about 20 minutes. Then we are off!

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Re: Storage of camping gear at home

Postby slug » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks all for your thoughts.

It pretty much affirms what i had in mind; i need some deep shelving, some cupboards for keeping dust out and ineviatably ill stuff piled in there somewhere!
slug
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide