Down or synthetic sleeping bag

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Down or synthetic sleeping bag

Postby mav2777 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Hi Everyone.
We are in a 4 wheel drive club & enjoy camping. The most recent trip to Shooters Hill near Oberon we froze. The cheapie Kmart sleeping bag is not good enough & it's time to upgrade. We travel to all different climates, this year was Fraser Island next year to Victorian High Country. I have decided Roman are one of the better bags but don't know is it worth to pay the extra for the duck down bag. $270 compared to $140 for the synthetic. I have heard the pros & cons of each type, down regulates temperature better & hence keeps you at a more comfortable temperature. Synthetic tends to fluctuate in temperature. Down compresses slightly smaller, easier to transport. If down gets wet it takes longer to dry. The rating I'm looking for is -5 degrees. What is better value for money, down or synthetic ??

Regards Mav2777
mav2777

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:31 pm

I looked into this a while ago as I had pretty much the same experience, damn well nearly froze :lol: I decided I would go with the cheaper option as I wouldn't be using a -5 bag THAT much to justify an extra $100 plus. Although if you go camping in colder climates alot its probly worth the investment. I figure I've got my swag so that buys me some protection and a -5 on top of that should be heaps warm... still havent't got one yet, it's too warm now :mrgreen: So i'll use my 10 year ole kmart jobby till winter :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Otto » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:40 am

I've always been alright with the synthetics, and I slept in the coldest possible weather, prolly was -10 deg C, with a inner bag (homemade), synthetic Swiss army bag with outer bag, with South African poncho draped over the lot, in Sutherland, a semi arid region in South Africa. Snug as a bug.... These days we have even better - the cheap fleece blankets, a few of those and you should be fine. And I even got one better, I got me a swag, and now I'm allright for the -10's again.

Layering layering layering

:grin:
Otto
Camping King

Postby Kramer » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:45 am

:grin: Geez otto with all those layers on you you would be able to hardly breathe!

I am just glad that I live in QLD if I want to go camping in winter I just go north :armsup

But got to follow all those damn grey nomads (like Scolers :) ) in 4 cyl cars towing 2+ tons of camper or caravan travelling at 80 on the highway :evil:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:33 pm

Kramer wrote:
But got to follow all those damn grey nomads (like Scolers :) ) in 4 cyl cars towing 2+ tons of camper or caravan travelling at 80 on the highway :evil:

It'sSIXcylinders dammit and I sit on 100k's

:booty

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Nenie23 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Best tip I can give you May is "FIND A MATE" Body heat is better than any -10 sleeping bag.

Just get 2 KMart jobs, zip them together for a double sleeping bag, strip off, then jump in....... you will be warm real quick!!!!!!! :#

Nene
:+ :+ :+ :+
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Return to Introductions: