Recommendation sought - nice site in Melbourne area

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Recommendation sought - nice site in Melbourne area

Postby M&M » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi all - we're new to this site, hope somebody can help us!

We are currently travelling round Australia in a campervan (how else!) and need to find somewhere nice for Christmas and New Year. We calculate we'll be in the Melbourne area by then and need to find a nice place to stay!

We are after a clean, quiet site - though wouldn't mind if they threw a party for Christmas or NY as otherwise it'd be a bit lonely, just the two of us. Though guess we could always pop into town... :beer

We would also like somewhere with 24 hour wi-fi internet so we can communicate with the family back in the UK and Spain.

So if you know the perfect place, please, please, please let us know! :grin:

OR, if you think we should be somewhere else for these dates (i.e. we hear Sydney has pretty cool NY celebrations), feel free to suggest anything!

Many thanks in advance!!

M&M
M&M

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:56 am

Welcome M&M

Unfortunately, although a Melbournite I can't suggest somewhere for you. Both Sydney and Melbourne have big street gatherings for NYE. fireworks, etc. Sydney definitely have the fireworks display which you can watch with another million or so people! Melb have a few hundred thou' gathered on the banks of the Yarra.

Just don't know how the internet component of your requirements is going to fit in... Which direction are you coming from and where are you then heading? There's a van park in Chelsea (called Blue Gum I think... it's just down the road from me) which I've read good reviews of and there's a McDonalds across the road which may be a hotspot. You could catch the train into the city for NYE from there. Not being a mobile computer, don't really know where/how those things will work.

Maybe ask the question at the ExploreOz forum (http://www.exploroz.com)

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby mytribe » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:49 pm

I'm in outer burbs of Melb but have no idea on caravan parks as we never use them :grin: , more into bush camping than the civilised type.

But this site may help you.

http://users.tpg.com.au/viccamp/viccptowns.html
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Fonty » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:45 am

Hi mytribe! That is exactly what I am looking for. Places close to Melbourne to camp with my four year old son and possibly teenage daughters if they decide to 'rough' it for a night or two. I went to the Peninsula and found it was no camping everywhere except on the foreshore which seemed a bit public for me. Also we went to the Yarra camping ground at the end of the Warburton Hwy a couple of months ago. That was still a bit public of course having space for hundreds of campers though it was a good introduction for my son. Last weekend we tried the forest this side of the official camping ground but after going for a swim first we found the march flies in the area would have eating more than us if we had of tried to set up camp and eat around there!

First, do you know if we're gonna get the march flies everywhere? They were literally swarming, I couldn't even swim without them dive bombing me and trying to take large chunks out of my head.. Or do we have to wait for the march fly season to end before venturing out again?

This weekend I was planning on going down to the Peninsula again but trying out the surf beaches for camping spots instead.. do you know of any around that area?

If not where do you camp near Melbourne? I used to camp out on the other side in Lerderderg Gorge and the Wombat State Forest when I was younger. We tried the Gorge last year but that's all changed now, this side has no camping signs up and the other end was a dreary sort of place with the river all dried up and firewood almost impossible to come by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Hi Fonty :grin:

How long does March Fly season go for?

The places we've camped have been Murrindindi, Jeruselum Creek at Eildon, Big River, and along the Jamieson river, unfortunately these places are all affected by fires at the present time.

We haven't been camping at all since last year due to the fire's and only being able to camp in area's where dogs are allowed.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Fonty » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:15 pm

I'm assuming March flies are a summer menace, like the mozzie. When I was camping back in my youth :grin: they were literally a 'march' fly and were only really a menace at the end of summer. I took my son to the Gold Coast in January though and found they were mozzie and fly free there pretty much. I was hoping that was due to being mostly saltwater rather than freshwater and that the peninsula and surf beaches would be the same.

We were also affected by the fires, we were going to try the Cathedral Ranges on the weekend when the big ones hit. I had a sore throat and bloodshot eyes for three weeks from the smoke here. I would never have survived that much closer to the fires, even if I would have considered camping in that direction at all worth the danger.

I think I'll bite the bullet and book a spot at Rosebud foreshore for tomorrow night in case I don't find anything else up that way. I hate the idea of camping so publicly though.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Fonty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:04 am

I went to Rosebud and we had a good time there, but I doubt I'll return. First it was $18.50 to camp. The Yarra Valley campsite at the end of the Warburton Hwy was only $5. I forgot to show my pension card this time but this is just a ridiculous amount to pay for a space to park your car and pitch your tent. Particularly when the site itself frustrated me no end because most of the ground in it was too hard for the thin pegs I had. I managed to adjust the placement of the tent after much frustration so that most of the pegs went in, but still only managed it because I found an old and much sturdier peg in the sand that broke through the hard ground rather than bending. There wasn't much wind and it was summer so it probably would have been okay without those pegs I guess, but old habits die hard and I've camped all weathers and know that setting your shelter up properly can mean the difference between a comfortable night and one spent wet and miserable and wondering if your tent is going to sail away with the next gust of wind.

The hard ground was annoying, but worse concerns were enough broken glass around to be a concern for my 4 year old in bare feet. And worse again was on my 14 year old daughter's first trip to the loo's there were half a dozen syringes lying around on floors and sinks etc.

As I said we didn't let these things spoil our time there, the swimming was great and it was perfect weather for camping- but I doubt I'll ever go back. On Sunday we drove to Sorrento back beach to check out the rock pools there. It was fun but we couldn't find the main aim of our search which was starfish. We then drove down to Point Leo and checked out the camping spots there and found a few crabs in the rock pools before going surfing.

Well, boogie boarding, it was my son's first time in the surf with his board. The waves were breaking a bit too close to shore for really successful surfing even for the kids, but Beren had me to help him so he managed to get a few good waves take him to shore. :grin:

If we get up there again this summer we'll try that camping ground or one of the other two marked on that side of the Mornington Peninsula National Park. We'll probably visit Arthur's Seat next time too. Point Nepean looks like it's worth checking out as well.

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Return to Camping Tips and Locations