Stockton Beach, Newcastle NSW

Stockton Beach, Newcastle NSW

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:54 pm

Stockton Beach

Newcastle’s playground of sand, Stockton beach, is a haven for 4x4’s, Motorbikes and fishermen alike. Only 2hrs drive from Sydney it provides the perfect weekender for campers or day drip for fishing, swimming, or just playing on the dunes. The beach is patrolled by rangers, and you need a pass, which can be purchased from the Service station on Lavis lane, the main entrance to the beach. Passes are $10 per day/weekend, or $30 for a yearly pass which starts in March for some reason, so its best value for money to buy them then. There are no toilets or showers, and it’s more or less a ‘camp where you like’ free for all. Some common sense thing to keep in mind though; Since 4x4’s and motorbikes are constantly cruising up, down and around the dunes, and there’s no real ‘corners’ where you can set up camp, out of the way of potential traffic it’s a good idea to mark the areas around with something that will stop vehicles ploughing through your tent in the morning :mrgreen: . Another good idea is a sand flag mounted to your 4x4 for a bit of safety when flying over the crest of a dune.

Despite the amount of traffic on any given weekend, its still a nice spot to visit, the motorbikes tend to be the most annoying as they like to start riding fairly early (about 9pm is early by my standards when camping), but nonetheless if you choose your spot wisely you can probably avoid this too. Expect to get sand EVERYWHERE, and it’s a good idea to spray the under body of you’re vehicle with fish oil or a similar rust preventing treatment a few weeks before you go. I say a few weeks before because if you spray the fish oil on just before you go the sand tends to stick to it, and it doesn’t wash off too easily.

Some tips to remember when driving on the sand, always drop your tyre pressures to at least 15psi to start with. If you’ve got a light 4x4 with a fairly powerful engine you can probably get away with higher but 15psi just makes the car work so much less, and the drive will be easier. If you get stuck or find the car is struggling, don’t be afraid to go down to 10psi. And if you get stuck and have no1 around to pull you out, drop them as low as 5psi, but drive very carefully with such low pressure cause you don’t want to roll the tyre off the rim. It’s always best to travel with at least one other 4x4, and make sure you both have proper, rated recovery points and at least one snatch strap between you. A shovel can also be a valuable tool if you get stuck. Some of the dunes can be surprisingly steep on one side, so either follow existing tyre tracks, or proceed slowly with caution.

Also keep in mind that, since your engine is working much, much harder on sand you will burn a lot more fuel than usual, and it’s a good idea to watch the temperature gauge closely. I tend to get about 25-30L/100km on sand, compared with 10/11L/100km on bitumen. So either top up before you go on or take a jerry can for the unexpected.

Some sights to check out are the Signa shipwreck, and the fishing huts. Also, after rains some of the depressions in the dunes fill up with water and become freshwater lakes, great fun to swim in and/or drive through.

Image - The Shipwreck

Image - Camp Bodgey. Had a lenght of rope about 40m long... didn't want to cut it :lol: . So about 1/2hr of true camping ingenuity and a fair bit of head scratching and my tarp was up 8)

Image - View from 1st campsite 8)

Image -Posers

Image - Tried reversing up, made the passenger jump when it started sliding sideways :twisted: :lol:

Image - Probably my favourite 8)

Image woops, driver error :oops: :lol:

Image - same as above :mrgreen:

Image - Mother always said, 'Kids who play with fire get burnt' :mrgreen: . Notice how the hair stops about where the sleeves did :lol: . He also lost sum off his fringe and eyebrows - don't ask how :oops:

Image - I wish i coulda got more reflection off the water with this one, i'm guessing I need to have taken it at dusk with the sun behind me :idea:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby 4800Patrol » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:56 pm

Ozzycamperboy,
Looking at your photos that you have posted from your Stockton excursion, may I recommend that you have carried out the following errors:-

1. Tyre pressure way too high.
2. Climbing vegetated dunes.
3. Using your vehicle after dark.
3 Camping in a spot where, someone else using their vehicle after dark may run over you.
4. Clowning around with either gas or fire.
5. Tearing around and likely to roll a tyre.

Folks, may I recommend that you treat Stockton beach and dunes with respect. But do have a good time too!
4800Patrol
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:18 pm

4800Patrol wrote:Ozzycamperboy,
Looking at your photos that you have posted from your Stockton excursion, may I recommend that you have carried out the following errors:-

1. Tyre pressure way too high. - Bzzzt wrong. 15psi To start with then dropped em to 10 when I got stuck
2. Climbing vegetated dunes. Yeah realised this was stupid afterwards, didn't think if it at the time. I wasn't really able to drive up to the vegetation though anyway so it wasn't a huge deal.
3. Using your vehicle after dark. Thats what the lights are for, and low speeds :? YMMV
3 Camping in a spot where, someone else using their vehicle after dark may run over you. Where you there? I dont think so. Had stakes clearly marked out in the middle of the track, and it wasn't a main trail. We did not see or hear another car until about 10am the next morning
4. Clowning around with either gas or fire. Bingo. I left my padded cotton wool suit at home. And sand doesn't burn.
5. Tearing around and likely to roll a tyre. Refer to above, gotta have some fun can't stay wrapped up in bubble wrap all the time. If It happens we can deal with it. Its not the end of the world, we came prepared.

Folks, may I recommend that you treat Stockton beach and dunes with respect. But do have a good time too! X2
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby HOT40K » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:40 pm

3 Camping in a spot where, someone else using their vehicle after dark may run over you.

Folks, may I recommend that you treat Stockton beach and dunes with respect. But do have a good time too!

I didn't see the signs saying what psi to run at? Did we miss them Rocky?

The residential developments have done more damage than 1 million 4x4s climbing vegetated dunes... This doesn't make it okay, but they were just ramping up onto ONE dune, not climbing and driving right over them... :shock:

If you need to drive after dark I don't see a problem, as long as you are well lit up, can see the terrain ahead and traverse it slowly and watch for any sudden drop-offs.

If anyone is in contradiction to 'Rule #3', hopefully they are doing the same in regards to the aforementioned night driving techniques. The spot was fairly protected and it is not a track which is 'driven through' often. The vehicles also protected the camping gear, so a car would be hit, and not a person.

Clowning around does not really affect anyone but the person who is doing it... If they are silly enough, good for them :armsup

The Rocky who was 'tearing around' does so quite often and knows the capabilities of his car extremely well. He was also running his tyres at a high pressure to combat any tendancy for the tyre to pop a beam and roll off the rim. We also know doing this at lower pressures could lead to the bead popping, that's why we do not do it. There was also no other vehicles/people around when this was occurring.

P.S - That white Rocky is hot mate! :armsup

Is that one of them Turbo Intercooled ones?? I hear they go heaps heaps good.
HOT40K

Postby Scolers » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:29 pm

1. No rules says you have to lower tyre pressures ... a lot of beaches facilitate this as it's hard sand ... but Ozzy has given reasons.
2. Agree with this but Ozzy has pulled his head in.
3. No rules says you can't 4wd after dark ... I don't ('cause I'm old and frightened) ... and there are a lot of 'night nav' courses/ comps run.
4. Nothing was mentioned of 'clowning around'.
5. Ever read any 4wd mags? They ALL tear around.

Pass the bubble wrap please.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby 4800Patrol » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:34 pm

Guy's
Reading your posts full off excuses only strengthens my initial opinion of you :***

For those of us that have been to Stockton a number of times The place has a long list of injured and dead from these activities.

Peter Brock, was also a great race car driver!
4800Patrol
Boy Scout

Postby HOT40K » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:24 pm

What would that initial opinion be?

An opposing point of view on such topics is not an excuse, it is only stating why your comments were unjust in some cases.
That is why they are called a 'Discussion Forum' :lol:

We were mainly describing how you were wrong in your comments, not how we were wrong in our actions.

Yeh Brocky was a great race car driver.. did he crash because of climbing vegetated dunes? Or was he clowning around with gas or fire??

None of Ozzy's actions could have resulted in a death or serious injury if that is your point... It would have only been so if another unknown vehicle did something out of the ordinary, and that's just bad luck, you can't control other people's actions.

The last people that died there were tourists who camped over the other side of a dune which is a very, very, heavily used track. :?
HOT40K

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:50 pm

4800Patrol wrote:Guy's
Reading your posts full off excuses only strengthens my initial opinion of you

Likewise with yours ;) . If you want to drop your tyres to ridiculously low pressure's, drive like Miss Daisy and not use your car after dark hey thats fine, its your choice and your opinion. But please dont impose these views on others.
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby gqpatrol » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:11 pm

:!: REorrw hiss! Relax! Way too serious, sounds like a 4wd club or something. :-bang
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby 4800Patrol » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:04 am

Still more excusses :***

Soon it will only be 4wdrive clubs using Stockton if people keep misusing it. I may have to join a Club!

I think you may want to join a Club, to learn the basics in 4wdriving.

Where are the Rangers when you want them.
4800Patrol
Boy Scout

Postby HOT40K » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:50 pm

Excuses? I don't see any... would you like a dictionary?

Is that the only comeback you have? Nice one :lol: but not very effective

I am a member of a Club, and I am a fair bit past knowing the basics.

Have you tried joining one? Coz I think you need to learn them :booty
HOT40K

Postby CCC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 am

looked like alot of fun..

Thought I'd add some of my pics here too
I havent camped there but Clint has camped and 4X4 there with mates.

The last time we were there, we went on a quad tour.... OMG I nearly shat myself ::() We are a BIGGER couple and I thought we would tip them over :armsup

Alma on Sand Dune - ok Clint now you can drive back up and get me ...

Tin City - Fishing Shacks

White shelled area - One of many Aboriginal eating sites ( DO NOT DISTURB )

us on quad tour - just came down dune :shock:

us with quads @ Stockton
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:57 pm

The quads look like a lot of fun there, I saw a few that were heading to Cape York on them bugger that too small when your hitting those corrugations but I would love one on the beach any day!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:00 pm

Kramer wrote:The quads look like a lot of fun there, I saw a few that were heading to Cape York on them bugger that too small when your hitting those corrugations but I would love one on the beach any day!

If we get to Bundy (and I'm sure we will) ... I have similar ideas ... 8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby abi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:39 pm

was that the october 2006 long weekend?
abi

Next

Return to NSW