Ideas, suggestions and tips!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Ideas, suggestions and tips!!

Postby BridgetK » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi everyone,

My best friend and I are about to head off on a 2 month camping adventure starting from the Gold Coast and heading south to Victoria and then West to Perth.

I have read and heard of so many amazing places to visit, I'm finding it hard to narrow down the choices! I was wandering if anyone could offer their suggestions or advice on must see/do destinations and along the way, and any tips they may like to add!

Thanks!!
BridgetK

Postby Kramer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:38 pm

You could always do what I am going to do one day is get to the most eastern, southern and western tips of Australia while doing your travels. I just did a quick google and can't find where they are :(
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:47 pm

How are you travelling and where do you intend to stay overnight?

So far as the W.A. poriton is concerned ... maybe head south from Norseman (the first major town after crossing the Nullarbor) and go to Esperance. Then follow the coastline around to Walpole and then cut across to Margaret River and then north to Perth. You'll miss out on Kalgoorlie BUT you could go to Kal by heading north from Norseman and then when you've finsihed looking at Kal head south to Esperance.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby kirsa » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:44 pm

Hi Bridget! What a lovely escape!

When you get to WA, and as Scolers suggested do the south coast, make sure you dont miss the tree top walk between Walpole and Denmark. A great spot to stop for a lunch or tea break and take the time out to walk amongst the tops of the trees.

Albany is a very pretty port town, and if you continue up the coast to Perth, call into the Margaret River Wine region.

Cheers
smile ... it makes people wonder what you are up to :-)
kirsa
Boy Scout

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:17 am

Kramer wrote:You could always do what I am going to do one day is get to the most eastern, southern and western tips of Australia while doing your travels. I just did a quick google and can't find where they are :(

Southernly must be Wilsons Prom (mainland of course!)
Easternly is Byron Bay
Westernly is a spot near Monkey Mia I think (was thinking about going here but after reading a story about it, decided it wasn't really worth it)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Re: Ideas, suggestions and tips!!

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:26 am

BridgetK wrote:I have read and heard of so many amazing places to visit, I'm finding it hard to narrow down the choices!

yes, bit of a dilemma!

What sort of things do you like? Scenery, beaches, Disco Dancing :?#

For Victoria, the GOR (Great Ocean Road) is a must do. Good thing for you is it heads in the direction you want to go! In fact you can creep around the coast pretty much all the way. On the NSW south coast I'd recommend a diversion in around Dorrigo. Also, to see something different (how much seaside can you stomach!), head over the Alps (depending on time of year) from NSW to Vic and down to Melb.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby BridgetK » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:45 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I've been looking them up on my maps and penciling them in!
BridgetK

Return to Camping Tips and Locations