Car Roof Boxes

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Car Roof Boxes

Postby OzeBoy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:27 am

Hi everyone, I've recently purchased a new car and am getting roof racks so that I can get a roof box to take more stuff camping. Anyone got any pros or cons of roof boxes? What I should be looking out for or aware of? Anyone got any good things to say? any bad? Cheers :grin:
OzeBoy
Camping King

Re: Car Roof Boxes

Postby Komodo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:29 am

what type of car?
what things are you plannign on putting ontop?
what type of roof boxes you looking at
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 am

i got the Rhino wire basket with the rubber bag that you strap to it in that i put,2 large tarps , a canvas tourer tent,couple of fold up chairs blankets,a piece of carpet and fold up card table..all that goes on top of a Hyundai Getz.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm struggling with the same questions.

In the current Repco catalogue they have both the wire baskets and the roof boxes on sale.

Currently I put a large suitcase on the roof racks and secure with 2 straps. It's not too hard to do (though I need the ratchet straps!). I put the suitcase on the roof when empty and fill it up on the roof. I also had to use 2 tent poles under the suitcase as it was very, very slightly too short for the roof racks.

I like the flexibility of the arrangement, but the suitcase is not waterproof. So I have to either put everything in bags before I put it in the suitcase or cover it with a tarp, which I am a bit reluctant to do because the tarp would probably be flapping around everywhere, etc.

The roof box is waterproof and secure, but not a very flexible option. When it's full, it's full. You could still put some tall stuff next to it on the racks, but that's as much flexibility as you'll get.

The basket is a lot more flexible I think... But then I have the issue of size to consider. The small ones sell for $150, the next size up is $250...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby markcrook » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:59 pm

We always used a roof box for camping in the Uk, They are fine for light weight things - we used to keep sleeping bags, pillows, air beds, some clothing etc in it. Ours was lockable and we never had any problems with leaks even in the european inclement weather - and we had a fair bit!

We only used it for camping trips and would remove the box and bars when not in use as it does increase fuel consumption.

We used it on a standard sedan and had to stand on the door sills to load and unload it - I guess if you have a 4WD or bigger SUV then some steps maybe required.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Titch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Aldi,sometimes sell a Rooftop bag, for around $50, says its waterproof.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Bradd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:51 pm

We bought one of these
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/waterpr ... p-carrier/

Plenty of room
It appears to be waterproof (not enough rain to really test it)
Kinda awkward to attach to roof racks but once figured out strap length etc it worked ok

Happy with it for the price.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby OzeBoy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Well I suppose I'm just exploring possible ways of carrying stuff on the roof. We bought a Hyundai i30 wagon.
Was looking at those hard roof boxes - Atlantic, Rhino or something but have no idea what they're like and what can fit in them. Not exactly sure what to put in them either, although due to their roundedness I imagine you're restricted to what goe sin them. I didn't think about baskets. I'll look into those too.
We got rid of our old wagon and the new one is a bit smaller so we want to explore roof luggage options. I guess I have to think a bit harder about what we'd put in it. I imagine the lighter things would be better as you are reaching up to get stuff. So probably sleeping bags, self-inflating mattresses, pillows, tarps, blankets, some food etc.
We've never put anything on the roof before so we are yet to find out how functional it is. But people do it so it must be a good option.

And thanks for all your quick replies, appreciate it :cheers

Sounds like you get heaps in that poodlejewel. Anyone got pics of their roof setups?
OzeBoy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 pm

I have a basket similar to the Rhino one but only ever use it when tripping about the country, never just for camping.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:52 pm

The Hyundai Accent we have apparently is not intended to have anything on the roof. We've tried here and there to find bars or bins but there are none made. It could be because it is an obsolete model or it could be that it is not designed to have stuff on the roof. The handbook is silent on roof racks but goes into a little detail about a trailer.

So first I would establish whether the model is made to have something on the roof.

If you find that it should not have stuff on the roof then look around for a small trailer. We have one with an ABS pod into which we store a lot of our camping equipment. A trailer is much dearer than a roof rack but it doesn't increase the fuel consumption by much and doesn't interfere with the stability of the vehicle.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 am

Elaine mine is a Hyundai Getz , as for price Rhino racks basket and water proof bag was just over $700 not cheap,i looked at small trailers and even trailers a motor bike could pull but Hyundai recommended against it but did you see Gypsys photo of a hyundai getz on the Birdsville track towing trailer and roof pod on top.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 am

This is the one that PJ is referring to....blew us all out of the water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:29 am

Here is a pic of my 'home made' roof top basket (not the best pic). It cost me more for the powder coating than it did the materials and construction but still came out heaps cheaper than the Rhino one.

I have also seen some similar in places like Super Cheap.

I only had 2 spare tyre cases and the Max Trax on top, too much weight or height and the vehicle will become unstable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 am

"I imagine the lighter things would be better as you are reaching up to get stuff."

Also because of the balance. As gypsylady said, you don't want to car to become too top heavy.

I put clothes, pillows and sleeping bags on the roof. The good thing about that is also that it'll compact down in the suitcase as it would in a roof top box or bag. And then when you unpack it at the other end - provided that you packed it in bags - you can just throw them next to the car. It's really easy. And I was suprised at how much space it saved me in the car. I even had space left! And immediately felt tempted to go and buy more gear because I could. :***

And I love the pic of they Getz, Gipsy. That's harcore! Why limit yourself because you own a small car?!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Looking a little low in the rear in that last pic gypsy. You using, or thought about using, a load leveller? What about Polyaires?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide