Car Roof Boxes

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Car Roof Boxes

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:40 pm

I have racks and a 3/4 width wire basket on the Discovery. There are weight restrictions and you should abide by them. Not sure how much I can carry on the roof of the disco but each roof rack 'bar' is rated to 50kg and the basket to 100kg from memory. We put all sorts of stuff up there from tents and fold up chairs to the porta loo! On the 1/4 of the rack we strap on the OzTrail gazebo. It occasionally gets me standing in the basket to take a photo. I take the basket off when I am not using it but leave the racks on. Mainly I don't like the noise that it makes when empty.

Friends have a box on top and it always struck me as being a bit of a pain. Trying to get the key into the lock above your head without standing on things, or balancing was a pain. The one they had didn't have struts so putting stuff into it and getting stuff out was a nuisance as well, the lid would come down and bite hands and fingers. It was, however, an entertaining spectacle to watch.

Another mate tells me that his is great with an easy to use locking system and a a fairly positive bracket that holds the lid open. His call is that my basket would likely get more stuff in/on it. His complaint (if you could call it that) is that the box is hard to get on and off a tall car. He takes it off to improve fuel economy.

Maybe this will be some food for thought.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Komodo wrote:Looking a little low in the rear in that last pic gypsy. You using, or thought about using, a load leveller? What about Polyaires?

She's got air bags in the rear, the CT also has air bags Komodo. She does not always sit low and I must admit on that trip there was probably a bit more weight than usual.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Fair enough.

I'm currently looking at doing a 3" lift on the patrol and looking at airbags for load levelling when towing / touring.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:37 am

Komodo....in hindsight, the bags may have been too high in the CT.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Kev, I think you've confirmed what I was thinking: that a basket is more flexible and easier to use than a box.

I think I'll go get one soon.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:01 am

Lin it's worth keeping an eye on the SCA catalog - got my setup fairly cheap from them.
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby sassenach.girl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Maybe a bit late, though we've been looking into this same decision: roof top box or basket. Intending to put the 4 x self-inflating mattresses up there with the porta-porti, kitchen box, pillows, chairs, table and anything else that willl fit. Can put up to 100kgs up there, though I suspect we will really only load it up to 50-60kg and keep the big stuff (33kg tent, cooler/fridge, pantry box, clothing boxes, stove) in the back of the car. We have a SAAB 9-3 SportCombi (wagon).

We've decided on a luggage basket (which we will be getting as soon as my cross bars come from the UK!) as we didn't want the restriction of the pod- or box-styles. Probably a Rhino basket I would say. And we will cover it was a tarp and cargo net to keep it all dry.

Sass
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:42 pm

It is not only about weight Kylie.....keep the height down as well, a lower centre of gravity otherwise you might find it becomes very unstable.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sassenach.girl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Absolutely agree Gypsy, though important to mention!
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:32 pm

I've sold quite a few roof box's in my time, In my opinion, they are good for storing clothing, bedding, food, basically very light stuff you want to keep dry. I always reccommended that you buy some additional weather stripping as the original stuff is not very dust or waterproof.

Personally I will be getting a roof cage, mainly because it's safer to carry fuel ontop of instead of in the car and the ability to bolt a heap of other stuff to them such as high lift jack, awning and I've even thought of a makeshift watertank / shower.

The roof top bags are good, but I always stressed to customers that they are water resistant, not water PROOF.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco532 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 pm

With the risk of sounding negative....Weight on the roof is NOT what cars were designed to do especially regarding safety and stability.
As some of the older folks in the forum will remember roof racks were very popular back in the 60's,70's and 80's when all of a sudden they seemed to just disappear off car roof tops ....why was this ??
Mainly because of the top heavy safety issues and the other reason was ''ECONOMY''.....Your fuel consumption will rocket.

Now,,,what a 'hypocrite'...ha,,,as we have been considering getting one on the roof if we change from the campervan to a caravan as we will need more storage not being able to tow the trailer.

The roof box to me is not an option....very pricey and room restrictive....plus,,,,I reakon they look like a coffin on the roof.

cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Rosco532 wrote:With the risk of sounding negative....Weight on the roof is NOT what cars were designed to do especially regarding safety and stability.
As some of the older folks in the forum will remember roof racks were very popular back in the 60's,70's and 80's when all of a sudden they seemed to just disappear off car roof tops ....why was this ??
Mainly because of the top heavy safety issues and the other reason was ''ECONOMY''.....Your fuel consumption will rocket.

Now,,,what a 'hypocrite'...ha,,,as we have been considering getting one on the roof if we change from the campervan to a caravan as we will need more storage not being able to tow the trailer.

The roof box to me is not an option....very pricey and room restrictive....plus,,,,I reakon they look like a coffin on the roof.

cheers

Why will you need more storage if you buy a caravan?
Our Navara carries a waeco and maybe some firewood. everything else is in the van.
Waeco is full time in the Nissan be it CT or van.
Van has bedding, food, clothes,tv or everything else we need.
Roofracks hold a solar panel, and fishing rods.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Hey Titch....You haven't been camping with Avis.......lol

No, serious, its all part of the plan for us to do the '360' around Aussie.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby markcrook » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:25 am

Rosco532 wrote:... the other reason was ''ECONOMY''.....Your fuel consumption will rocket.

We found a roof box meant that we used more fuel than when we towed, why is that :beer ?

Get a trailer, you can get more stuff in it, it's easier to load and unload, all your camping gear can be stored in it all the time then all you have to do is hitch and go! :armsup
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:04 pm

We stayed away from putting anything on the roof of the Prado. We had a bag made up for our CT which we put all the three swags and the kids three bags and pillows with heaps of room to spare.

We had a local guy that works with canvas make it up to our specs ($300) and we have used it on both CT's. Keeps everything dry also as the zip flaps are fastened down with velcro also. It is kept in place by ties at the front of the bag which are secured/tied to the front bar of the trailer and then we put rachet staps front to back also. The new CT is going to be modified like the old CT because we had side rails on the old one but the new has them front & back not on the sides but we have a mate that is going to add and powdercoat them for us. :armsup

Old CT with green bag

New CT with green bag

Just another storage option. We only use it for longer trips not for overnighters or weekends.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide