Hyundai Tusccon

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Hyundai Tusccon

Postby bex66 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi
I am having a nightmare trying to ascertain the correct maximum towing capacity of our hyundai Tuscon city sx 2 wheel drive. According to the spec on the internet it states braked 600kg and unbraked 600kg for automatic transmission. Yet in the handbook it states 600 kg unbraked and everything other than manual transmission is 1200kg.. I have contacted the dealer at Hyundai and they state the first option also stamped into the towbar is 600kg and 600kg. The tow ball weight is 120kg. I am desperate to buy a camper trailer but until i can sort this out thre is nothing i can do.
Does anyone else have a Tuscon city and a camper trailer

I woould be so grateful to hear from you if you have Please help me !!!!!!

cheers Becky x
bex66
Boy Scout

Re: Hyundai Tucson

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi Becky ... if you are a member of a motoring organisation in your state, ring the technical department and have a talk to them.

A 120kg ball weight sounds very high for a fairly small vehicle.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Re: Hyundai Tusccon

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Have heard this discussion before and 600 kg braked it is for sure.

There is some very interesting reading here on it http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showth ... p?t=161704

Cheers and sorry for the bad news.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby bex66 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:44 pm

hi

Thank you both for your replies... particularly Derek...... that guy has my frustration completely. I do tend to err on the side of caution so now i have to find a camper trailer which weighs much less than 600kg. In order to house our camping equipment or change the car which is only 1 year old
That is going to be no mean feat hey !!!

Thanks so much once again

becky
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:38 pm

600 kg will have to be a loaded CT as well, not empty.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Hyundai Tucson

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Becky - have a wander through eBay. There are several light-weight camper trailers around. There's some folk up on the Sunshine Coast who make a light-weight CT but the price is not light. There are CTs made for towing behind a motorbike - worth a look if only to spark creative solutions. Alternative is a conventional trailer to stow all your gear in and a tent.

Elaine
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Titch » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Basic CT can be light, ours is 250,KLG unloaded, loaded no Idea, I Reckon we added around 200 today.
Do your homework, not everyone needs a massive heavy CT.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 pm

lots of light weights around as i too have a Hyundai and have looked at some.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby hoadie72 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 pm

I had a look on the website too. Looks to me like someone made a mistake with copy and paste, especially if your handbook says otherwise.

To be 100% sure I'd contact Hyundai direct, not the dealer, or go see a reputable towbar manufacturer.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby haveduck » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:49 am

I recently towed a loaded box trailer up to Port Macquarie behind our Tuscon and didn't have a problem.

I have to admit, when loading the trailer I wasn't thinking of how much the car could tow, but how am I going to fit this all in!
haveduck

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 am

haveduck wrote:I recently towed a loaded box trailer up to Port Macquarie behind our Tuscon and didn't have a problem.

I have to admit, when loading the trailer I wasn't thinking of how much the car could tow, but how am I going to fit this all in!

While you say you did this and nothing went wrong that is fine but if your trailer weight exceeds 600kg with the model listed you are acting illegally and could be subject to severe fines and the loss of your insurance if there is an accident.

Something worth considering.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby bex66 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:03 pm

After much ringing round I decided to go direct to hyundai Australia and get it from the horses mouth.

Verdict ; The Tuscon City 2 WD Automatic can only tow 600kg that is both braked and unbraked. Inspite of the same car in UK and NZ being able to tow 1200kg. Hyundai Australia believe the max it can pull is 600kg.

So suppose the choice is yours it can prob very safely tow more but legally and in terms of insurance and car warranty towing more and encountering a problem would invalidate them. I personally am going to buy a light weight camper trailer and renew the car as and when... i assume the light weight CT wont be of any less standard as a heavier one... I dont want to go off road. By the way Tuscon is now a discontinued model and the car replacing it has no towing issues !!!!!!

I am disappointed I wanted a Johnnos deluxe CT but whatever we get it will be fine

Thanks for all of your help

Becky x
bex66
Boy Scout

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:41 pm

The one thing to keep in mind with a light-weight camper is that it may not stand up to a strong blow. If bad weather threatens, pack up and go somewhere safe if at all possible.

Elaine
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby haveduck » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 pm

I think I would have been fine, 250kg trailer, 120kg bike, gas bottles, bike fuel, tent, tarps and camping gear couldn't have weighed more than 200kg.
Interesting to know about the insurance though, but I guess an insurance company will do whatever they can to avoid a payout in the case of an accident.
haveduck

Return to Camper Trailers