Menu Help - what are your camping dinners?

Great camping, outdoor or general recipes for the whole family. Lets share some of those favourite recipes.

Re: Menu Help - what are your camping dinners?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:34 am

Dettie wrote:The vacuum beast must be very happy with you Titch!

So if sausages would normally keep in a fridge for say 3 days, how much longer would they keep with vacuum sealing them?

Dettie

Dettie

It will depend on how good the machine is and how fresh the meat is to start with.

Vacuum sealing in effect removes the oxygen from around the meat and then heat seals the bag. It is oxygen that spoils the meat. Good fresh meat sealed with a machine that will remove a very very high percentage of the oxygen will last for 6 weeks no problem.

Unfortunately a lot of the cheap machines do not do this and while they are great for storing a lot of things you will find they are no good for long term meat storage.

The best way to do meat products is to find a butcher who has a good machine and get them to do it for you.

As a matter of interest, professional cryovac machines actually purge the meat with co2 to ensure all the oxygen is removed

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Dettie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Derek wrote:
Dettie wrote:The best way to do meat products is to find a butcher who has a good machine and get them to do it for you.
Derek

Derek, thanks! That is a great idea! My butcher does this, so will stock up from him beforehand.

Dettie
The Queen of Glamping... in my mind anyway!
Dettie
Blatant Padder

Postby jellycamp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:57 pm

I pre prepare meals and then vacuum seal them prior to going. It is the best way to do easy and quick meals. I drop the bag of spag bol in the hot water to re heat, cook the spaghetti and da da! Dinner. Easy as. The other good thing is that the food can float around in the bottom of the esky without getting all water logged! Brilliant! Then you don't have a heap of plastic containers taking up valuable space!

Actually I should start preparing my next camp trip! 8)

Emma
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:33 pm

We're most interested in all of this - personal experiences from practical campers!

We've seen these machines here and there and often wondered whether they were any use.

Does the food need to be frozen to keep longer?
Roughly how long does a meal keep before it starts to grow its own whiskers?
Can a meal be kept out of the fridge and still be safe to eat?

Has anyone tried keeping fruit and veges fresh this way? We use those green bags specially made for the job but they are poor in quality now and we're looking for an alternative.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Lin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:51 am

Elaine, I saw one demonstration of a vacuum sealer on youtube that had a "gentle" setting (or whatever it was called) for things like tomatoes.

I tried the green bags because a colleague raved about them, but didn't find they made much of a difference.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 pm

[quote="Lin" but didn't find they made much of a difference.[/quote]
Mmm Lin, well I have found that most fruits and vegetables kept much longer and in better condition than with any other storage arrangement I've tried. My problem with them now is that the quality of the material they use has deteriorated to the point where they tear easily and in their wisdom, they've introduced those infuriating ziploc fasteners. I have written to the company but they have not responded. That's why I am looking for an alternate storage solution apart from the ethylene-gas-absorbing bricks which are not economic.

Thank you for the YouTube link, will check that out.

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Lin wrote:Elaine, I saw one demonstration of a vacuum sealer on youtube that had a "gentle" setting (or whatever it was called) for things like tomatoes.

I tried the green bags because a colleague raved about them, but didn't find they made much of a difference.

I cant advise on the fruit and Veges.
The vacuum process stops freezer burn,Allows us to thow the food into ice becoming water without the soggy ending, It can be a bit of a challenge loading our caravan freezer tho as it gets slippery lol.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm rather average when it comes to camp cooking, So thanks alot for your recipee's and ideas.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby steve&Kate » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Another great advantage of vacuum sealing apart form illuminating freezer burn is throwing frozen vacuum sealed steak in a sink of cold water for about 10 minutes before cooking and the steak is defrosted, no more micowave cooking the edges of your steak or steak that is wet and soggy.

Got the tip for this website http://www.eaglehawkfarms.com.au/ I can also tell you their beef is to die for and is reasonably priced., they deliver from Glenn Innes to Sydney, Gosfor & Brisbane I think and if you spend over $100 is free delivery all meat is vacum sealed.

Cheers

titch wrote:
Lin wrote:Elaine, I saw one demonstration of a vacuum sealer on youtube that had a "gentle" setting (or whatever it was called) for things like tomatoes.

I cant advise on the fruit and Veges.
The vacuum process stops freezer burn,Allows us to thow the food into ice becoming water without the soggy ending, It can be a bit of a challenge loading our caravan freezer tho as it gets slippery lol.
Titch
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby Lin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 am

throwing frozen vacuum sealed steak in a sink of cold water for about 10 minutes

Woohoo, another great tip! I usually just chuck it in the pan frozen, but it's nicer to start with a defrosted piece of meat. And it would great for frozen mince!

I also realised why you should freeze some things first before you vacuum seal them. I tried cooked and cubed chicken yesterday and it was a mess because the juices were being sucked out of the bag. Raw sausages worked fine though, as did frozen chicken and pork chops.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:12 am

I find the ends often split on the sausages and sometimes ooze out so I partially freeze them for that reason.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:44 pm

gypsylady wrote:I find the ends often split on the sausages and sometimes ooze out so I partially freeze them for that reason.

Me too :grin:
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:48 pm

You can freeze things like extra gravy, Corned beef, etc,spag bol sauce. Vacuum them.then
Chuck in water and simmer till hot,great non messy and convenient.
Titch

Not at the Buckland, but Darlington point NSW.
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco532 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:35 am

Gee...I'm almost to scared to admit...We have one of those sealers....and it never comes out of the cupboard.....Will have to ask Avis why she doesn't use it anymore....
Now.....To change the tempo a little,,,,think I mentioned somewhere else that I do most of the cooking while we are away and my lastest whim is this cooking in our camp ovens.....I'm slowly getting it right but trying different things is helping....like....how not to burn the Chicken....or...Spuds etc.
This is not 'my pic'....but I'm making one the same that will bolt together in a few minutes and will fold away to nothing for packing back in to the trailer...I reakon it looks the part and will do the job.
The 2nd pic is of 'the pots' doing their job while we were away camping with friends up at Levuka......then of coarse,,,,you have to sit around the fire with a pint trying to work out the progress whats happening under the lids (need a glas top...lol).....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco532 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:43 am

Sorry....I got the pics in the wrong order,,,,,its now the 2nd pic I am making my own version of.........(still not sure why the 1st came out so big either,,,,back to my school books to learn.....lol)
Cheers.....and happy 'Cooking'
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Recipes