The logistics of shadecloth

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

The logistics of shadecloth

Postby Kbel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi all!

I've been trawling through old posts about the use of shade cloth as both under tent protection and as matting for outside the tent under the tarp.

So a few questions:

1) Is any type better than another? I'm looking at the $15/m 3 point something metre wide shade cloth from Bunnings.

2) Do you use 1 or 2 layers?

and 3) Do you extend out from under the tarp? I was wondering if the tarp poles wouldn't slip more on the matting in high winds? Especially if it's wet - and if I'm in a tent, rain is pretty much guaranteed. :roll:

Here is a picture of my set-up at this stage - this is after 4 days of wind and rain so the tarp is very saggy - a ridge bar is next on my must have items list!

Kirri
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Re: The logistics of shadecloth

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:03 pm

You need to make one corner on your tarp lower than the others for easy draining of the water.

And it is always best to lower the side facing the wind in order to act as a buffer..the lower down you can get it the better.

Re shade cloth, I personally would recommend buying the Oztrail Ultra Mesh which comes already hemmed and eyeleted. I personally don't put it under the tent/camper (just wipe it with a rag as I am folding it up) but use it as flooring instead. Yes it can be slippery when wet but not an issue for the poles if you have them secure enough. Watch the camping stores for it to come on special and buy bigger rather than smaller.

Now if money is not an issue!! The very best that you can get is CGear matting. Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0lwM5HpqfQ

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Kbel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Yummy!

Thanks gypsylady, that does look pretty much exactly what I want - now to research prices. 8)

I'm in the very pleaseant position of being able to spend a fair bit to set up properly when my tax cheque comes in this year, so I'm going to get a Blackwolf Turbo (not sure whether I'll go the 240 or the 300 at this stage) in canvas. My current set-up will do for the teens, and I'll probably get a 315 x 600-ish tarp for over the top of the new tent for me. So that means a couple of bits of the shadecloth.

... Maybe I'll get the kids the cheaper Oztrail and keep the good one for me ... :bunny

Kirri
If a man speaks in the middle of the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kbel
Camping King

Postby Pauly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:01 pm

We use the ordinary shade cloth you get from hardware stores. It is hemmed on both sides just the cut ends not hemmed. I havent had any issues with it fraying or such so I cant see why by the hemmed oztrail style stuff.

With your tarp just buy a ridge pole and its a good setup. Your poles will not slip on single layer shadecloth. I only use shade cloth under the camper canvas and about 500mm extra around so it acts as a matt.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Kbel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Sorry to be such a noob, but do I need to get another pole and 2 shorter ridge bars or can I just get 1 long one (the span is 420cm)?

Gypsylady, I should have gone the other way as you suggested, we had the dropped side right angled to the wind, so it deflected nothing. :? I did find that (purely by coincidence I'm sure) the 2 dropped ends did shed water reasonably well. There was only one night I had to use a stick to remove a small swimming pool. :lol:

It was my first camping trip with a tarp, and I really see the advantages!

Cheers for the replies.

Kirri
Kbel
Camping King

Postby sienna » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 am

I have the bunnings shade cloth which I hemmed myself (using a blanket stitch). I use two layers cos this allows the sand to slip through from on top but not return from underneath. I have used it as flooring and now as an extra wind break and sun shade along one side. It lets in the breeze while blocking out light drizzle and the sun. I have always used a tarp under my poly tents because the floor in them is typically not that great. Initially I didnt use a tarp under my ct tent but I got sick of the mud underneath this season from so much rain so last time I went camping I put a tarp underneath it. So much better.

If you are using a tarp underneath it is not a good idea to have overlap showing around the edge of your tent cos the rain just lands on it and runs under your tent. You don't get this with shade cloth as the water is able to flow through the matting.
Also, I've heard some caravan parks will only let you use shade cloth cos it's kinder to the grass.

One other great use for shade cloth is to make a draw string bag out of it for all your kids' sand toys. Put them in the bag while sandy and then just dunk the whole thing in the water. cleans all the toys at once. very easy!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 pm

sienna wrote:One other great use for shade cloth is to make a draw string bag out of it for all your kids' sand toys. Put them in the bag while sandy and then just dunk the whole thing in the water. cleans all the toys at once. very easy!

I've been looking for a bag for snorkelling gear... you've just solved the problem!!!! ta!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Pauly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Kbel wrote:Sorry to be such a noob, but do I need to get another pole and 2 shorter ridge bars or can I just get 1 long one (the span is 420cm)?
Kirri

Looking at your picture there I would run a ridge pole front to back, no need for extra poles. My tarp is 9x7 and my ridge pole has the 2 end poles plus 2 extras on the centres
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Kbel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks all,

Thanks for the info about the ridge bar; I've not been sure whether the span was too long for a single bar - I get paranoid. :lol:

And awesome idea with the shadecloth bag!!

Kirri
Kbel
Camping King

Postby sienna » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:30 am

I use a ridge bar for my big tarp. It can extend out to 24ft which is enough for my 20ft tarp. I get away with one centre support pole plus the usual poles on each end. If I was going to go the full 24ft I would probably get a second support pole. I'm pretty sure ridge bars come in different sizes. Get one as little bigger in case you decide to upgrade your tarp. They are adjustable so the extra length won't get in the way when you don't use it.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 am

24ft ridge pole WTF?!
Where'd you get that how small does it pack up to and what $ was it approx.?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby sienna » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:59 am

I got it from my fav camping store, down under. It comes in 3 pieces which slot together. Not sure how long each piece is but maths tells you they have to be at least 8ft long plus a bit of overlap. They really aren't much bigger than my other tent poles. The middle support pole has a special plastic cradle at the top instead of a spoke and the ridge pole sits in it. BTW it is square in shape.
I got mine for around $54 in December last year.
I'm going camping next week so will try to take some photos.

Edit: Actually when I sit here and think about it, my trailer is only 7ft long and the poles fit inside. So something isn't adding up. Will have a gander outside and check. Let you know what I find.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby sienna » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:24 am

Ok. Just been out to measure the ridge pole.
The two outer pieces each have a smaller pole that sits inside and can slide out. This slide out pole is the piece that joins onto the middle section. You essentially have 5 pieces that all join together. Each of the three main poles are only 4 3/4ft long, the same size as half of my normal tent poles.
And that' how it all fits! 8)
Hope this makes sense.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco532 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

We run our shadecloth under the tent....out into the 'sitting' area....and now, up the walls.
This gives us a wind break that doesn't cut our view,shelter from 'drizzle' rain...'privacy'...can see out but not easy to see in......
When its time to pack up the tent floor is dry and clean.....sand doesn't get walked in to the tent and your own feet dry off walking on it...sweeps clean with a small broom to get rid of the leaves each day....''tip''....take a leaf rake with you and clean up the area before you lay the shade cloth down.....beats standing on 'twiggs' and 'puncturing' your tent floor(or your own feet...lol)
We really only use our spreader bar when we use the big tarp....but is a 'must' when te do take it.

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:16 pm

I bought ridge poles but have never used them too hard when you are on your pat malone..will have to train those dogs better..
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Gear Guide