Coleman Montana; comments, reviews, how long to put up?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Coleman Montana; comments, reviews, how long to put up?

Postby sassenach.girl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi folks,

Another newbie to camping here with some inevitable tent questions!

Anyone out there have the Coleman Montana 12 Deluxe? It is big brother to the Coleman Chalet ... interested to hear how long it take to put up, comments on value, what you like, dislike, etc.

We are married couple with two small girls (4.5 & 3). Most usage will be going for long weekends, arriving around 3pm(ish) and staying 2 nights, so we're not worried about too long a setup. But, if and when we stray further from home, we may have some 1-nighters enroute. The big question is how big can we go without compromising set-up OR how we can go "simple" while still having enough room?

A review I found online said the Coleman Montana took 36 mins to erect. We're not keen on 2 separate tents as we have young girls that I would prefer in the same tent as us. Plus we liked the central room that was big enough for dining 'inside' away from mozzies.

HOWEVER, another option is a smaller turbo tent (like the Black Wolf Turbo 300 Lite) that we would pitch on the 1 nighters, and a screened dome for more room and dining on the 2+ nighter stays..... though the total dollars gets quite high.

Open to suggestion!
Kylie
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Re: Coleman Montana; comments, reviews, how long to put up?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:42 am

It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string Kylie, different for everyone. Ask the saleman to erect one in the showroom for you to see and take it form there.

And WELCOME to the forum.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:57 am

Hi Kylie welcome,
I googled it and found these 21 reviews.I read some of them but not the whole 21.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Montana-1 ... =dp_top_cm
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sassenach.girl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks Dribble, but those reviews are for a much smaller 5 person tent.
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Then google your tent and see what you can find.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sassenach.girl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:55 pm

I was after some advice from people who go camping alot. Isn't that what this forum is all about? :(
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:09 am

Those reviews are from people that go camping i thought. Sorry.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ricklanga » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi Kylie,

We have a Coleman Monrana & I can set it up in 30 minutes on my own. Just need a little help with the fly. Very easy to setup & very sturdy. My step daughter & sister inlaw have 12 man oztrails & we recently picked up a near new 4 man oztrail for $20 at the markets & the coleman is easier to set up then all these. Hope this helps,

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm

sassenach.girl wrote:I was after some advice from people who go camping alot. Isn't that what this forum is all about? :(

Kylie, many people on this forum camp heaps but it does not mean that they have this particular tent or are familar with it. Your comment is a bit curt when PJ only offered her advice. She made a special effort of searching the net for info for you.....You might like to rethink this comment.

Overall this forum is a very friendly and helpful bunch.

Cheers Gypsy.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby 4OFUS » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:56 pm

no experience with this tent. However, from my experience we did the following which may give you some insight.
We initially bought a "manor" tent!! It was 3 rooms with a screen room. It took at least 45-1 hr to put up. It was hard to get the bottom flat and pegged out without pulling up in the middle-very annoying. That was without a tarp for extra rain protection. It had heaps of room- however- almost too much really. It was too big for some sites, and if you are unlucky enough to get crammed into a tight spot, its awkward to position a larger size tent. Some NPark sites also tent to be irregular and we found didnt fit. It was nice to have the room-say for when it rained-but we dont camp for linger than we have to if it rains. We also tended to not eat inside in the screen room, as not enough room for chairs etc and you have got to keep the thing zipped to stop flies and mozzies. This is a hassle with young kids. OUrs were same as yours when we started to camp.

We then sold that tent and bought the Turbo BW. It was about $600?. It goes up fully set up in 15mins. Is strong-survived high wind in a Marree dust storm! It sleeps 4 -we have 4 stretcher beds . We store clothes bags under our beds, and have a bit of room in the middle. For a bit more undercover shade we put up tarp out front which takes 10 mins.

We do a fair few overnighters and the BW is a breeze and our preferred option. You almost need two different tents- one for longer stays if you camp in a spot for say more 3 days. We tend to do 1-2 nights then move on.
4OFUS
Boy Scout

Postby toucan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 pm

We have this tent and love it! We have 4 kids who are in bunks in one end, we take the other end and all the gear goes in the middle.

It takes us 30 minutes fom start to finish with an 8 year old 'helping' to hammer the pegs in......lol

Have no complaints
toucan
Camping King

Postby sassenach.girl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am

Gypsy: Sorry, I didn't mean to sound curt.

Boy Scout: Thanks for the advice. I agree that sometimes it might pay to have two tents!

We happened to see the Montana on the weekend for a brilliant price (almost half price!) so we ended up grabbing it. Practised in the back yard and it took DH and I about 45 minutes the first go. Second go it only took 35 mins, including the fly, so I think next time will be heaps faster. We can pull it down and put it away in less than 20 mins, which is fabulous!

Here we are all set up for a trial run up at my folks in Nanango:
montana.jpg

We had plenty of room -- almost too much -- but we went on thr trial with just the tent and self-inflating mattresses. Next we need to get the camp kitchen, tables and chairs, etc, so we will want the room!

Thanks again for all the advice and sorry for the miscommunication! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby markcrook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:04 am

Hi sassenach.girl,

looks a great set up, I love the way the front all opens up like that. We used to have a Colemand Chalet 9CV, Coleman make great tents, it was excellent, stood up to wind and was rock solid, loads of ventilation - I'm not sure it ever got rained on but I am sure it would have stood up to that!

You cant go past a bargain like that! Have fun in it
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby sassenach.girl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:23 am

Oh I'm sure we wil have fun in it! We're planning a 'convoy' of sorts from Brisbane to Dubbo and back late August this year, with us car camping and my folks caravanning .... looking forward to it! Thinking of maybe Brisbane to Alice and back around Easter next year. Also got a few long weekenders planned to Hervey Bay and Sunnie Coast.
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks for the apology Kylie and I am very pleased to see you have your new tent and at such a bargain too....good for you.

You will definitely get better and quicker at setting it up with practice and what an adventure you have ahead of you.....enjoy.

BTW....don't get too used to having all that left over room, it will soon disappear with the purchase of more camping gear.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Gear Guide