I'm a newbie too - got no clue about camping - help!!!

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

I'm a newbie too - got no clue about camping - help!!!

Postby PHLAK » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, and new to the world of camping. I have a husband and 3 kids ( 6, 4 and 18 months) and we figured camping would be a fun way to get out and enjoy some "quality time".

We know we need a "house" of some sort and were thinking a tent - maybe one of those 3 room things - would be a good inexpensive way to see if we can hack it before trading up to the camper trailer. i know we need sleeping bags and something to keep food cold, and something to cook food on. That's about as far as we've gotten - haven't purchased any of these items yet...

What are the absolute must have items that you wouldn't go camping without?

Thanks for having me and sharing your thoughts
Are we there yet?
PHLAK

Postby freerocketman1 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:54 pm

welcom to the forum phlak & welcome to the world of camping. believe me you wont regret going camping after you have been for the first time because it only gets better. if you look through the camping locations & tips part of the forum there is a topic about new to camping witch should be of help to you , if i listed all the things that i have bought for camping over the years i would have to start another forum but dont let that put you off, because getting away with the kids camping is fantastic.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:02 pm

Ok, first of all, what sort of camping do you want to do? Stay in a caravan/camping park, or out in the bush sumwhere?

Now for your list, if you wanted to list EVERYTHING you where to take you could easily fill a page, or two. Basically, in addition to the essentials, you need to take everything :shock: , even the kitchen sink ;) - which is usually just a bucket, and scourer.

So here's my 'list':

*Tent (Ofcourse), or in my case, a swag :armsup
*Tarps
*Ropes
*Water - For two people, for a weekend, about 20L should do it, probly take 30 to be safe. But if your not going somewhere really secluded its not a huge issue. I find aldi to be great for this, they have 12L Mineral water cartons for about $5. So I grab one of them for drinking water and have a 20L Jerrycan for cooking/washing water.
*Food
*Esky - If your taking frozen meat, and other perishables keep in mind that a traditional esky will only keep stuff frozen for about a day, or two if your lucky. If you plan on staying a long time and want frozen stuff you'll need an icebox which should stay frozen for atleast 3-4 days, or a portable fridge/freezer.
*Sleeping bags
*Mattresses - Choose carefully, and give them a good try out in-store. Having a lousy nights sleep camping really, really sucks :lol: . In my swag I have the crappy original mattress that is maybe 1cm thick, and also a big one from clarke rubber thats prolly 6cm thick. Sleeping on them is almost as good as at home :armsup:. Inflatable mattresses ar also good value but they tend to get holes and/or slow leaks, which is very irritating. If your going down this path best to fork out the $$ and get a good one not a cheapy. Personally, i'd go the foam mattress (again), but a inflatable is generally more comfy.
*Pillows
*Torch
*Small axe(Just In Case) and if you want a decent campfire a big axe wont go astray
*Shovel (optional, sort of :mrgreen: )
*Matches and lighter
*First Aid Kit
*Fuel Stove - I find the cheapy $20 ones from K-Mart, Big-w, aldi etc to be great. But some people dont like them :?
*Knives, and forks, and spoons, and any other kitchen equipment you'd need - pots, pans, grille etc. Think about what your going to cook, and how your going to cook it. It's a long walk back to the pantry :lol:
*Lighting, not just a torch. Gas bottle with lantern attachments are invaluabe around the campsite
*Bucket for washing up
*Soap - hand/dish
*Jerrycan of fuel - just in case
*Map of the area you are going to, topographics are best. If your going somewhere secluded.
*Camping table/chairs.

Boxes/cases/crates are great for storing stuff in, as once your in the bush it gets annoying if all you have is the tent with stuff strewn all over the place.

Thats all I can think of right now but i'll add to it if I remember anything else. Best advice is not to take too much, but makes sure you take everything you'll need... dunno how else to put it, but the 1st time I went camping I forgot many of the basics like forks, plates, chair etc, nothing seriouse just irritating. And take plenty of food - you get hungrier camping. Try and avoid tinned food, its crap, if you can cook there do it, it'll be heaps better. And take munchies for when your sitting around the fire :mrgreen:

And of course, welcom to camping.com.au :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:49 pm

Weclome to the forums Phlak and also the world of camping!

In addition to waht these guys have said maybe go to your local camping store and have a chat to them. Also, maybe hold off buying big ticket items such as a tent until you are certain you like the lifestyle. If you can borrow DO IT! The main reason I say this is that your children, whilst they might like the initial idea of camping, may not be too keen after a couple of nights. Having said this, most kids love it ...

GOOD LUCK!

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

somewhere with toilets!!

Postby PHLAK » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:51 pm

We're thinking we'll probably stick to caravan parks - places with shower/toilet facilities. I don't like the thought of digging a hole at 2am... We've stayed in the in-laws caravan for a week but that was when we only had 1 small child. we were surprised at how well that went though. Anyway, we figure if we buy a tent and decide camping is not for us (not that we think that will be the case) we can always sell it on ebay...

I am the type of person who like ozzycamperboy would forget the plates and chairs, but have all the rest. lol

thanks for the lists! we're looking forward to getting out there and having a fun/tiring/educational/damp/dirty/excellent time.
Are we there yet?
PHLAK

Re: somewhere with toilets!!

Postby Scolers » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:46 pm

PHLAK wrote: we're looking forward to getting out there and having a fun/tiring/educational/damp/dirty/excellent time.

I haven't been to Les Girls ... take some pics!

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Introductions: