Sites with slabs

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Sites with slabs

Postby amanda » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Just wondering what the pros and cons are of having a CT on a site with a concrete slab? I've never had to use one before, but the site we have booked this weekend has one, and I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions, advice etc?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Sites with slabs

Postby Beagle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:08 pm

I never used one with my soft floor camper but the issue would be a step in the soft floor somewhere unless the slab matched your tent. Highly unlikely. If this is not an issue then why not?
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby markcrook » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Amanda,

we ended up on a site with a slab Easter 2009, never having encountered the situation before we had a look around to see what other folk had done.

A lot of caravaners, campervans etc seemed to use them as a patio, so you park next to it and step onto the slab rather than the dirt/sand/grass etc - so this is what we did.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:29 pm

I personally don't like them with a soft side fold CT but they are fine with the hard floor rear fold.

I found with my soft floor side fold it was difficult to peg down.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 am

Thanks. As we won't be needing to put the walls up on the awning it should work out OK the way you have done it Mark. I guess it saves having to put the awning floor down. By the way, you're CT is just about identical to mine, only difference I can see is the size of the window by the door - mine goes down to the ground, but other than that I'd say their the same.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby markcrook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:00 am

Personally I wouldn't go for a site with a slab, much prefer to have a nice grassy site (I have often thought golf courses are wasted on golfers! I can think of lots of better uses for them!) but as that is all that was available we had to make do, we haven't got the hang of booking the big holidays so far in advance!

In the UK you would have to be off your rocker to camp at Christmas and only the very brave go camping at Easter - we did it about three years in a row and frequently got frozen, blown about or soaked - if you were really lucky all three! :--?

Amanda, our CT is a liberty 9, very basic just the trailer and tent - but is quick to put up, comfortable and after this weekend we found that it keeps the rain out!
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:31 am

Same reasons as Mark although we had the Camper....the princable was the same...although, I do think its nicer on the grass

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco532 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 am

WOOPS....ANOTHER 'BIGGIE''.....Was to late after I pressed submit

sorry

Rosco
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby markcrook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 am

Rosco532 wrote:WOOPS....ANOTHER 'BIGGIE''.....Was to late after I pressed submit

sorry

Rosco

Rosco, you can edit your post, delete the picture and then attach a smaller version. I always used to post them to big!
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:17 pm

I would prefer grass too, but as we only booked the spot for this weekend yesterday and it is still school holidays I was pleased to get anything. We could either take a waterfront site with a slab, or non waterfront without, so the view won over the slab. Anyway, we'll see how it goes, but it doesn't sound like anyone's had any dreadful problems, it more seems a matter of personal tatse. Thanks for your replies everyone.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby markcrook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Go for the waterfront and the view as I am sure you can work around the slab - hope you have a good weekend, post some pictures of how you get on.
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 pm

Yep, I agree with Mark....there is always a solution where camping is concerned.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 am

I'll try to remember to take some pictures over the weekend - I usually get home and realise I haven't even taken the camera out of my bag!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:12 am

Just got back from camping with ct and had a slab for the first time. It was an ok site, but generally speaking the slab ends up being in the middle of the site which is annoying. We had to work around fitting the tarp on the site so that dictated where the ct went. In the end it the slab went under the tent section.

Lately I've been putting a tarp under the tent section to stop the mud and dirt etc. I didn't this time because of the slab but I wish I had. The concrete is really rough on the soft floor so I wish I had put down the tarp to protect it.
As for the corners, I put some bags in one corner and used a stretchie to anchor the other corner. Wasn't windy so wasn't much of a problem.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm

slabs are a nice thing to have when your site has multiple green ants nests......
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Camper Trailers