Tarp repair

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tarp repair

Postby two89w » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 am

I have a fairly new Durarig 18 x 20 tarp and it has a small tear in it about 2cm. It has not gone all the way through, it has only ripped the green underside and has not penetrated the silver part.

Does it sound like it needs to be repaired? Would it be likely to tear through? Should I take it to a trimmer to have it repaired?
two89w

Re: Tarp repair

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:02 am

I personally would not be concerned about it.

Do keep an eye on it and if you feel it is getting worse then yes have it repaired.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Sorry Gypsy ...BUT.....From experience its little rips like this become BIG rips when the wind starts blowing and you could lose the lot (as well as spoil your holiday)......SO...
My suggestion would be......prevention is always easier than the cure....get it repaired now while,,, you will be only up for pennies to fix it.
There are patches you can put on them.....if you are worried, take it to a repair person (saddler if you have one handy)

Take care
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Rosco, I have 2 tarps ( I only buy either Ultrarig & Durarig) that are yonks old and both have very small tears and holes in them and they have never gotten any bigger over many years.

two89w says that this one has not pierced right through all the layers so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I think Rosco.

By all means if in doubt....repair....but IMO not necessary at this time. Any marine/auto trimmer should be able to patch it for you two89w
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ozoutdoors » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 am

GAFFA TAPE!!

Fixes anything!
Check out the latest outdoors website
www.ozoutdoors.ws
ozoutdoors
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide