Tent Vs Swag

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent Vs Swag

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:12 pm

I think it's about time to upgrade from my little $5 dome tent to something that's a little bit longer lasting and durable, It's still holding up very well but seeing that a few local camping stores have sales on at the moment, I feel the need to grab a bargain.

I want to know your opinion on which is the better option for weekend trips for a young couple. My criteria is, very quick and easy to setup and putdown, wind, water and basically storm proof, warm in winter, cool in summer.

I like the OzTrail Mitchell double swag, my girlfriend likes the OzTrail Tourer9 tent, They are similarly priced which is making my decision harder. Both are just as easy to setup and store, but each has it's pro's and cons. I don't like the centre pole that comes with a Tourer tent, but they are giving away the side pole kit. My main concern with a swag is that it may let in a bit of water if it's bucketting down, or worse, waking up in a puddle. But they are easier and more convenient to live with.

I've always been a tent sort of guy but for convenience sake I wouldn't mind a good 'ol swag.

what are your thoughts?
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Re: Tent Vs Swag

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm

i have a tourer tent that came with the side poles as well as centre,i bought it as the dome tent i had was a pain in the butt to put up on my own.The tourer tent I LOVE.it is quick to put up sturdy,the first time i used it i got flooded out,every thing inside that tent was bone dry and it is big enough that in the pouring rain i could still fit my little table and chairs in there..have you seen the swag tent BCF has though i think it would be more of a summer thing and of course the two of you couldn`t cuddle up as they are single.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 pm

No contest DD….a tent would get my vote every time. A swag would be way too claustrophobic for me and I also like to stand up when getting changed.

One can sit in a tent and watch the world go by when it is raining…..can’t do the same in a swag.

If push came to shove you can cook and eat your meals in a tent but not in the swag.

I am with your girlfriend…..buy a tent and keep her happy.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:22 pm

They are her main arguements, and I agree all valid points. My only problem is that she saw one of those anywhere beds close up, and quote: because winter is coming up a heater would be nice. So I figure going tent means more accessories = more $$ :lol:

I only went into the shop to get a price for a self inflating mattress, now she has all these ideas. :lol:
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 am

For heating in the tent a couple of $5 water bottles will do wonders also heat beads/coals in a camp oven you need a paver or something heat proof to sit it on as not to damage the floor...
LOL you name so suits you...don`t want the misses spending too much eh? lol
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 am

Insulation and hot water bottles (thanks PJ) is the key to successful camping in winter DD along with ugg boots, warm jacket, trackies, benie, gloves and a good bottle of port by the campfire.

Absolutely no need for any fancy costly heaters...once the heart is warmed by the port, the body by the campfire and the bed by the hot water bottles (before you climb into it) you're a winner.

Dig deep, the girlfriend is worth it.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:45 pm

I would go the tent DD....

That said my hubby has a double swag and we used to sleep in that in our old tent pre CT days. Our kids all have king single swags (best camping investment so far). Swags mean no blow up mattresses going down & instant bedding (with sheets & sleeping bag- girls like that sort of stuff :lol: )

My hubby takes his swag when he has a blokes weekend or out fishing with our son and he usually sleeps in the back of his ute and sometimes by the campfire :lol:

So having both suits us well. So maybe you can buy the swag and she can buy the tent :beer
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:21 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:So maybe you can buy the swag and she can buy the tent :beer

Sounds like a wonderful arrangement to keep the relationship fresh ;)

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:24 pm

I think I'll go the tent, and push for a swag for my Bday. At least we both agree we need a camp oven.

I'll let ya's know how we go.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Dodgy_Dave wrote:I think I'll go the tent, and push for a swag for my Bday.

NOW....... you are getting the picture DD
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Gear Guide