UFO LED Tent Lights

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

UFO LED Tent Lights

Postby sassenach.girl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi folks,

Am thinking about lighting and have found some pretty cheap UFO-style LED lights on eBay that attach to the tent via magnets or hooks. But, there are alot of options therefore I'm wondering how many LEDs people are using?

Was going to set up 2 x remote controlled UFO lights in the bedrooms, and one in the living room. All rooms are 3mx2.3m and initially I was thinking the 23 LED lights would be enough, though I saw some that were 48 and 60 LED. Would this 60 LED light be too "woah, turn down the sun!!" in that small a room? We don't need light to perform micro-surgery :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UFO-3-Mode-60-LED-Camping-Light-Hanger-Torch-Lamp-White_W0QQitemZ260570410711QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches?hash=item3cab34eed7

Thanks in advance
Sass
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Re: UFO LED Tent Lights

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 pm

LEDs are directional lights and are great as such but not so for general lighting. I like LEDs and have a couple but still use fluoros for general lighting.

LEDs are great over the stove as they attract fewer bugs and would also be good in the bedroom. I personally would go for the 60 as they are not very big lights.

Also...remember...you usually get what you pay for. I paid $50 for one of my LED lights 3 years ago and it is still going strong, can't say the same for the cheapies I have bought.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby hoadie72 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 am

LED lights are directional but spend a little money and you can find units that, with reflectors, throw out some pretty decent light. I bought the unit below for about $70 about a year ago after getting rather peeved at breaking mantles with my gas lantern, and having to read to an Itty Bitty Book Light once inside the tent.

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=413108

I looked at the entire range of Coleman products and found they were heavy, didn't perform well, or were poor value for money, whereas the Dorcy unit, while not super cheap, lasts a very long time (350hrs on a set of 4C cells (I think) ), is very light weight but is durable, can be hung on practically anything, and even on 1 light is very bright.

Anyway, my point is that you can get good area lighting from LEDs if you shop around.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby markcrook » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:29 am

hoadie72 wrote:...after getting rather peeved at breaking mantles with my gas lantern.

We must be doing something wrong as we are still on our first mantle for our gas lantern. We bought spares as we were told that we would probably need a new one every time - but they are still in the packet!
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:42 am

It's your uncanny luck Mark.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:02 pm

If your handy, go here. http://longlucas.bravehost.com/ then read, then to deal extreme,Hong Kong based.
I have these triple emitter LED,s are they are very good.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby hoadie72 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm

markcrook wrote:
hoadie72 wrote:...after getting rather peeved at breaking mantles with my gas lantern.

We must be doing something wrong as we are still on our first mantle for our gas lantern. We bought spares as we were told that we would probably need a new one every time - but they are still in the packet!

You're doing something VERY wrong indeed!

I think my problem is that I often only stay at a location 1-2 days, so the lantern is being subjected to a lot of movement, shock etc etc. FWIW I've tried different brands of mantles and use a padded bag I don't think i've ever gotten more than 3 days out of a mantle.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby jonno » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:31 pm

hoadie72 wrote:I think my problem is that I often only stay at a location 1-2 days, so the lantern is being subjected to a lot of movement, shock etc etc. FWIW I've tried different brands of mantles and use a padded bag I don't think i've ever gotten more than 3 days out of a mantle.

The trick with mantles is to be gentle with the lantern if you need to move it. Remember they are basically ash, very brittle!

I tend to leave our lantern on the camp table, then use our LED lantern (very similar to the Dorcy one in link above) when walking around the campsite. Same mantle for several camp trips, and has also survived off-roading whilst in the back of the Patrol! (must have some of markcrook's luck!!)
jonno
Boy Scout

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Back to sassenach`s question..just got the super cheap auto catologue and they have similar and lots of different led lights,i wouldn`t be sending to Hong kong,plenty available local.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ozoutdoors » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 am

UFO lights are perfect for inside the tent. LED provides plenty of light and are really economical.
You cant use a gas lantern inside and flourescent lights are more and more rare these days on account of having to buy replacement globes.. (which are hard to find, and expensive)

You dont need 40 or 60 LED's.. i dont think you want to signal Mars!
OZTRAIL have an awesome UFO light in their current catalogue for only $16.95.. or $24.95 for one with a remote. Makes it easy when you finally get into your sleeping bag, and want to turn off the light.
Check out the latest outdoors website
www.ozoutdoors.ws
ozoutdoors
Boy Scout

Postby sassenach.girl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:16 am

Update: Ended up buying 4 x UFO lights from Hong Kong (eBay) for $24. Figured that if they break, we throw them away, but they are cheap enough for us to throw out. Will mount one is each of the tents three rooms, plus one out front in the awning.

Shall let you all know how we go with them (hopefully with photos).

Kylie
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:17 am

Thanks Kylie.....what did you end up getting, the 40 or 60 or something else alltogether??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sassenach.girl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 am

We bought 4 x 60 LED UFO's ..... they should arrive this week with any luck!
sassenach.girl
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Look forward to seeing how they go Kylie as we bought two little ones for the girls to use and held off buying a big one that day until we had looked into it further. Great restraint on our part. ::)

Friends of ours have the big UFO ones with the lights all the way around the edge of the circle and they love it.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide